Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Why not get both

Kakko, #30, Something else

McGroarty and Ehlers

Winny traded their 1st rounder this year. But yeah that #30 is basically a 2nd rounder.

Kakko replaces Ehlers, Ehlers replaces Kakko. McGroarty is a year or two away i would think, but could also find his way onto the depth chart in the bottom 6

I like Ehlers and think hes a good fit but he would need to buck his postseason trend. His track record there isnt great

Throw in Othmann and thats probably a deal. I dont mind Ehlers, but if the short term choice is him or Kane, I probably would just go for Kane. Cant believe Im saying that but its more cost efficient and they both scored at about the same pace last year.

McGroarty seems to want a spot right away in the NHL, and unless he's playing on his off-wing I'm not sure there's a real opportunity with the Rangers unless Cuylle is on the 4th line.

Cuylle-Edstrom-Vesey can be the shutdown line Brooks is obsessed with.

Reactions: noncents

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Throw in Othmann and thats probably a deal. I dont mind Ehlers, but if the short term choice is him or Kane, I probably would just go for Kane. Cant believe Im saying that but its more cost efficient and they both scored at about the same pace last year.

Cuylle-Edstrom-Vesey can be the shutdown line Brooks is obsessed with.

Ehlers is a 100000000000000x a better fit than Kane.

Dude is a zone entry wizard and has the speed that most of this place is obsessed with. He can do all of the heavy lifting there playing with Zibanejad and he is capable of making plays off of the rush.

He's a UFA in a year and that creates an issue there and his playoff track record makes Panarin look like McDavid which gives me some pause but usage (or lack there of) has been a thing.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Had this roster not been a skeleton crew he should have spent a year and a half in Hartford.
He was either the worst or second worst player in the league his rookie year, it was thunderingly obvious, Quinn sheltered the shit out of him, and I spent 50 hours that year arguing with moms.

I don't miss that year. He was so goddamn bad.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Could this be a false flag by the McGroarty camp to deflect hate, maybe?
0% chance its to deflect hate. 100% chance its because he doesn't want to start off making 75k in the AHL instead of 1M+ in the show.

It's business.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Gotta get laf signed this off-season. Just get it done. Between 8-9. Don't let linger. Just get the contracts done, even if you have to work on the weekend...
Wont matter, looks like he’s not going to get PP1 time again so he wont score more then 60 points. We will run the same garbage PP with Mika’s stupid one timer that dries up when it matters.

If he were to get PP1 time than he needs to sign ASAP before he’s an 80 point player.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Brooks saying nyr are likely to not move trouba and to use kk &30 to move up in the draft:

What's silly is we don't even know his no-trade list. Well, Drury doesn't know it. But what I read into this is there isn't a market for Trouba. I still feel bullish that if we retain 50%, some below-the-floor team would take him for draft picks. San Jose and Utah desperately need defensive leadership. Dude won the Mark Messier award ;)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Kakko could replace Ehlers who they are trying to move.

If Mcgroarty will sign with the Rangers and all I have to do is add the 30th overall pick to Kakko, thats not going to stop me. Its a glorified 2nd round pick and you're adding a forward who was a lottery pick 2 years ago. I dont think teams are busting down the door to trade for Kakko

Because McGroarty, while he has been effective in the NCA, hasn't shown anything in any pro league yet. He's not worth a 23 year old 3rd line forward with potential and a late 1st. He's a good prospect, and I think he'd fit well in NY, but that's too much and I highly doubt any team in the league would make a trade with similar value for a kid who could show up in the AHL and struggle to score.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't buy any of the Kane stuff. Could be a smoke screen by the FO to let other teams/UFA's know that they have other options but more than likely its just certain people attaching their name to the player to generate clicks.

They had no interest this year, I don't see that changing.

Wont matter, looks like he’s not going to get PP1 time again so he wont score more then 60 points. If he were to get PP1 time than he needs to sign ASAP before he’s an 80 point player.

He nearly did it this past season with out PP1 time.

He would have cleared it easily if he and Panarin didn't spend the first 2/3rds of the season beefing 70% of the chances they were setting each other up with.

If they can get it locked now that would be ideal.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Ehlers is a 100000000000000x a better fit than Kane.

Dude is a zone entry wizard and has the speed that most of this place is obsessed with. He can do all of the heavy lifting there playing with Zibanejad and he is capable of making plays off of the rush.

He's a UFA in a year and that creates an issue there and his playoff track record makes Panarin look like McDavid which gives me some pause but usage (or lack there of) has been a thing.

The issue I have with Ehlers is the next contract. If we're already concerned with signing Lafreniere, Miller and Shesty next off-season, adding Ehlers to that mix isn't going to help

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Because McGroarty, while he has been effective in the NCA, hasn't shown anything in any pro league yet. He's not worth a 23 year old 3rd line forward with potential and a late 1st. He's a good prospect, and I think he'd fit well in NY, but that's too much and I highly doubt any team in the league would make a trade with similar value for a kid who could show up in the AHL and struggle to score.

Kakko has Puljujarvi value and both the team and player want a change. No team cares that he's 23 with "potential". They care that hes a 3rd liner who doesn't produce. Kakko and the 30th pick is closer to a bucket of bolts than a Godfather offer. if you're not sold on McGroaty's upside, go after Ehlers instead. But Rangers would be adding in that scenario.

If NYR weren’t interested in Kane last year when he was only getting a 1 year deal, why would they be interested now that he’s looking for a multi year deal?

No cap space last year. Kane signed before Chytil had his setback. I do think a lot of the kane chatter is from his camp. The only way he comes back to the Rangers, imo, is if he signs a 35+ bonus laden deal.

• Love
Reactions: effen

effen

Feb 3, 2018
- I think you keep Trouba as he could certainly bounce back. There's zero in the RD pipeline.
- Trade Lindgren as he is what he is. If its assets they get repurposed for a roster player.
- Kakko doesn't matter but contending orgs don't trade off the roster for magic beans. If he goes its for a Ross Colton type even if its 90c on the dollar. 90c of something you need >>> 100c of something you have in abundance.
- McWhatever is gonna dictate where he goes. He will come to NYR or not at all.
- Nothing about Drury's history says he's going to get Kane again. 1st time was a Dolan move.
- Igor's gonna walk
- If they're smart, they trade Miller's upside before he gets paid.

Reactions: McRanger92

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
it's very simple. many other teams, the smart teams, lock their young talent up *BEFORE* they break out.

like I and other smart fans were advocating we do with Laf last offseason while most and arthur staple were claiming he was on his last chance as a NYR. f***ing morons. we have the same opportunity as everyone, better, really, but can't get out of our own way.

Always the same story. They “can’t afford more than a bridge deal” because they are always overpaying at least one buyout/waiver candidate like Goodrow.

Most other well run teams in the NHL have figured this out by now…NYR media just complain about state income taxes.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The issue I have with Ehlers is the next contract. If we're already concerned with signing Lafreniere, Miller and Shesty next off-season, adding Ehlers to that mix isn't going to help

Oh 100%. There isn't anyway to keep him beyond next year with out doing some major reconstruction.

That may be due to happen anyway. We've got some big contracts that won't be as hard to move a year from now.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
- I think you keep Trouba as he could certainly bounce back. There's zero in the RD pipeline.
- Trade Lindgren as he is what he is. If its assets they get repurposed for a roster player.
- Kakko doesn't matter but contending orgs don't trade off the roster for magic beans. If he goes its for a Ross Colton type even if its 90c on the dollar. 90c of something you need >>> 100c of something you have in abundance.
- McWhatever is gonna dictate where he goes. He will come to NYR or not at all.
- Nothing about Drury's history says he's going to get Kane again. 1st time was a Dolan move.
- Igor's gonna walk
- If they're smart, they trade Miller's upside before he gets paid.

Agree with all of this but Igor isn't walking. He'll sign for less than rumored and we'll all be happy as fans that we have him as a "crutch".

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Always the same story. They “can’t afford more than a bridge deal” because they are always overpaying at least one buyout/waiver candidate like Goodrow.

Most other well run teams in the NHL have figured this out by now…NYR media just complain about state income taxes.
It's not just "can't afford", it's an organizational philosophy.

Ask the Canes about locking up Jesperi Kotkaniemi for an NHL24 type contract and how well that can go.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I'll counter with this.

No one would have locked him up long term prior to this year. 99% of this place would have lost their shit if they gave him 6+ for term last summer. The bridge was the right way to go in this case.

Even if they want to do it now, it takes 2 sides to make a deal. If Laf wants to bet on himself (and if you believe Vince, he does) he has the right to do that.

Regardless, no one should give a single f*** if they lock him up long term for big money if he has another strong season. These contracts don't kill you, the big ones to bad players or ones who don't show up when it matters are the ones that end up hurting.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I'll counter with this.

No one would have locked him up long term prior to this year. 99% of this place would have lost their shit if they gave him 6+ for term last summer. The bridge was the right way to go in this case.

Even if they want to do it now, it takes 2 sides to make a deal. If Laf wants to bet on himself (and if you believe Vince, he does) he has the right to do that.

Regardless, no one should give a single f*** if they lock him up long term for big money if he has another strong season. These contracts don't kill you, the big ones to bad players or ones who don't show up when it matters are the ones that end up hurting.
You also have ample time to sign him to a market level deal. There's this fantasy that you can trade security for dollars and get em CHEAP when the reality is most long term deals for young stars are market level with no discount: Matthews, Nylander, Seth Jones, PLD, the list is endless.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I'll counter with this.

Exactly, anyone saying they should have locked Lafreniere up long term before this season is using pure hindsight to make that claim. The Rangers made the right decision to bridge him.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I'll counter with this.

Lafreniere can draw up his own terms if he has a PPG season, which I fully expect. The only 2 guys who need long term deals are Igor and Laf and both will happen.

If Drury is concerned about a guy like Miller's extension next year (Brooksie certainly is) it would just be a clear indication that the organization has no idea how to evaluate defenseman. Because frankly Miller is about 50/50 to be extended or traded next summer imo. The fact that the really like Tanev gives me some hope.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Lafreniere can draw up his own terms if he has a PPG season, which I fully expect. The only 2 guys who need long term deals are Igor and Laf and both will happen.

If Drury is concerned about a guy like Miller's extension next year (Brooksie certainly is) it would just be a clear indication that the organization has no idea how to evaluate defenseman. Because frankly Miller is about 50/50 to be extended or traded next summer imo. The fact that the really like Tanev gives me some hope.

What they do with Lindgren will tell us everything we need to know about how they evaluate defensemen.

If he's shipped out and they replace him with a proper player, we're in good shape.

The Tanev stuff would be wonderful (He and Miller would be a baller pair), but it only really works if they move Trouba. I suppose that it can work for a year but thats a ton of money to tie up on one side of the ice. He's an excellent defenseman though and he pushes transition the way that you want it to be pushed despite his point totals not being anything special.

Rangers showing serious interest in Trevor Zegras, per Pagnotta

clickkkbbaaiiitttt

Reactions: Atax

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
If you watch highlights of McGroarty you’ll see he’s never the one driving plays. Basically every point he gets is just a simple secondary assist or finishing an easy play created by others, he never carries the puck or does much of anything himself. Seems like a good complimentary player with inflated stats. Absolutely zero stand out attributes or skills. I’m not that interested in him, I wouldn’t trade our first rounder

Reactions: cheech70

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad