Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don't think moving Kakko for futures is impossible. You're looking at it wrong. It opens up 2.4M for them to spend on someone else in free agency who may be better than what they can get in a trade for that price. I personally wouldn't do it though.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The tax thing is overblown.

If a GM went to a player and said "well, New York is offering you 8 but 6.75 here is more than 8 there" every agent in the world would turn around and say "if they're offering us 8, you better offer us 8."

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

If a GM went to a player and said "well, New York is offering you 8 but 6.75 here is more than 8 there" every agent in the world would turn around and say "if they're offering us 8, you better offer us 8."
definiltey. I think it helps with signing your own players to more favorable extensions, but Zito went out and got a lot of players who were undervalued to begin with and blossomed in FLorida.

Reactions: McRanger92

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

The weather and golf is probably a bigger draw for most players. I do think the no state income tax helps them retain their own players, more than it entices guys to sign there.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
The weather and golf is probably a bigger draw for most players. I do think the no state income tax helps them retain their own players, more than it entices guys to sign there.
Pros:
- Weather
- Anonymity
- Best place on Planet Earth to be a millionaire athlete
- If you're bad no one cares
- Plentiful gas station drugs

Cons:
- Heat makes the ice suck
- If you go too deep in the playoffs a hurricane could kill you
- Plentiful gas station drugs

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Running back the same defense would be a disaster, the Miller/Schneider second pair isn’t good either.

Schneider should only be getting a bridge deal, praying he’s the one guy they don’t give a long term extension to this summer.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Non-elite #1 centers to win the Cup since the lockout:

Andrew MacDonald, 2007
Ryan O'Reilly, 2019

Non-elite #1 wingers to win the Cup since the lockout:

Justin Williams, 2006
Chris Kunitz, 2009
Dustin Brown, 2012
Marian Gaborik, 2014
Vladimir Tarsenko, 2019

Non-Elite #1 defensemen to win the Cup since the lockout:

Bret Hedican?, 2006
Whoever played when Letang was hurt, 2017
John Carlson, 2018
Maybe Evan Bouchard?, 2024

Non-Elite #1 goalies to win the Cup since the lockout:

Cam Ward, 2006
Chris Osgood, 2008
Marc-Andre Fleury, 2009
Antti Niemi, 2010
Matt Murray, 2016
Matt Murray, 2017
Jordan Binnington, 2019
Whatever trash played for Colorado, 2022
Adin Hill, 2023
Maybe Stuart Skinner, 2024

It's not like the other positions.
So we’re going to just ignore that marc andre fleury is a hall of famer? Binnington shouldve at minimum been a finalist for vezina this year? Osgood is ranked 13th all time in wins? Cam ward went on one of the biggest heaters in league history?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
So we’re going to just ignore that marc andre fleury is a hall of famer? Binnington shouldve at minimum been a finalist for vezina this year? Osgood is ranked 13th all time in wins? Cam ward went on one of the biggest heaters in league history?
MAF is the definition of mid.

He’s just accumulated HoF level of wins because he debuted at like 18 and played on some stacked teams. He’s never been elite though, not even when he won his Mickey Mouse ass Vezina in the Covid division year

Reactions: Guyute

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Having Miller and Schneider as your second pair is worse than Trouba on the third pair.

I give it about 20-25 games before he has Miller and Trouba back together, which also isn’t good.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm an advocate for MAF being in the Hall of Fame because, statistically, there's almost no case for him not to be, but he's the biggest compiler in the history of sports. Binnington has a .908 save percentage and a -11.7 GSAA for his career. He sucks. Osgood is another compiler who was never more than above average. Yeah, Cam Ward went on a huge heater. Exactly my point. Any Schmoe can get hot. When's the last time a no-name center just went on a massive heater in the playoffs?

I mean, yeah, NHL goaltenders are good at goaltending and almost all of them (not Colorado in 2022) were at least playing well during the tournament. But compare the list of #1 goalies to win the Cup versus the best on those teams at every other position. It's the hydra meme.

Reactions: Synergy27

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'm an advocate for MAF being in the Hall of Fame because, statistically, there's almost no case for him not to be, but he's the biggest compiler in the history of sports. Binnington has a .908 save percentage and a -11.7 GSAA for his career. He sucks. Osgood is another compiler who was never more than above average. Yeah, Cam Ward went on a huge heater. Exactly my point. Any Schmoe can get hot. When's the last time a no-name center just went on a massive heater in the playoffs?

I mean, yeah, NHL goaltenders are good at goaltending and almost all of them (not Colorado in 2022) were at least playing well during the tournament. But compare the list of #1 goalies to win the Cup versus the best on those teams are every other position. It's the hydra meme.

Barclay Goodrow

effen

Feb 3, 2018

I mean, yeah, NHL goaltenders are good at goaltending and almost all of them (not Colorado in 2022) were at least playing well during the tournament. But compare the list of #1 goalies to win the Cup versus the best on those teams at every other position. It's the hydra meme.
Pretty that center list is Ken Linesman, Butch Goring, and Bobby Smith 40-50 years ago. I don't think there's much of anyone in recent times.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Interesting tidbit, since the Vezina trophy starting being an award that was voted on in 1981-82, only 4 times has the Vezina winning goalie won the Cup.

That's 4 in 43 seasons.

Don't need the best goalie just a pretty good one, can't over pay in a the cap era.
Now do Art Ross and Norris

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
The Ranger's cap is so boned that Shesterkin signing 11x8 with a full NMC (you know he's gonna get one) is going to handicap us for a decade. Outside of Fox, because our big cap hits aren't invested in the right players (e.g. like Stamkos, Kuch, Point, or MacKinnon, Rantanen), I feel like we are going to need a big % of our cap going to forwards and defensmen. I don't know how we stay competitive with a $11M+ goaltender. He can go .940 in the playoffs but we will still lose if we aren't scoring goals especially 5v5.

Starting to eye that trade Igor bus. I'd at least like to know what our options look like there...

Running back the same defense would be a disaster, the Miller/Schneider second pair isn’t good either.

Schneider should only be getting a bridge deal, praying he’s the one guy they don’t give a long term extension to this summer.
If Schneider signs a 5x2.5 contract, that's a good deal. But you know, doubtful.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
He was either the worst or second worst player in the league his rookie year, it was thunderingly obvious, Quinn sheltered the shit out of him, and I spent 50 hours that year arguing with moms.

I don't miss that year. He was so goddamn bad.
I had never seen a player completely gassed after 20 seconds into a shift where he wasn’t even pushing the pace. He’d opt to change himself after 28 seconds and people acted like there was something Quinn could do about it

The AHL pace would have been a perfect place for him to get more adjusted to NA style game without needing the NHL pace. He probably needed two seasons of AHL hockey and likely would be a better player today if he had gotten it

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
What's silly is we don't even know his no-trade list. Well, Drury doesn't know it. But what I read into this is there isn't a market for Trouba. I still feel bullish that if we retain 50%, some below-the-floor team would take him for draft picks. San Jose and Utah desperately need defensive leadership. Dude won the Mark Messier award ;)
There is no list as yet. On July 1, he will have to give them the list.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Norris is 7 I think.

In the same time span I counted 5.

Art ross is 6 since 1982 with half of them being Gretzky in the 80's.

I don't think its really a meaningful argument anyway. I think just simply saying "Look at the goalies who have won in the last 20 years and tell me how many of them have been elite" gets the point across.

Reactions: Machinehead

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I hope that is a 1 year deal at league minimum. A bag of pucks for every 10 games played. every 10 games counts as "bonus laden" yes?
I'd be tempted to pay him to go play elsewhere....I hear the Anchorage Aleuts need players.

KennyWu

Oct 14, 2010
The Ranger's cap is so boned that Shesterkin signing 11x8 with a full NMC (you know he's gonna get one) is going to handicap us for a decade. Outside of Fox, because our big cap hits aren't invested in the right players (e.g. like Stamkos, Kuch, Point, or MacKinnon, Rantanen), I feel like we are going to need a big % of our cap going to forwards and defensmen. I don't know how we stay competitive with a $11M+ goaltender. He can go .940 in the playoffs but we will still lose if we aren't scoring goals especially 5v5.

Starting to eye that trade Igor bus. I'd at least like to know what our options look like there...

If Schneider signs a 5x2.5 contract, that's a good deal. But you know, doubtful.

And we can sign a MacKinnon level player and lose because we can't keep the puck out of our own net.

I'm not big on giving Igor that much, but if not, you're really trying to bet your average goalie is "that guy" in the spring/summer

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
On Lafreniere: you guys realize the player has to WANT to sign a long term extension, right? If I'm Lafreniere, after the season and playoff I just had, I'm 100% going into this season without discussing an extension and betting on myself instead of taking what he would think is a discounted long term deal. If he signed right now it would be much lower than if he's a close to PPG player next season and even if he's the same player again, he'd sign a similar extension next season as he would this offseason. It's not always on the Rangers as to why they don't lock up young players.

On Kakko potentially being packaged with 30 to move up in the draft: I could see them rationalizing it as moving up for an additional future piece to supplement the next wave of the core - and then backfilling Kakko's spot in the lineup with a UFA signed with the combo of Kakko and Goodrow's freed up space. Kane could actually make sense because he'd most likely sign for less than that amount and he's a stop gap who can (theoretically) help now in the last two years of Panarin, which has clearly been identified as a window here. I'm not crazy about Kane coming back but he was actually good last season and I think he could actually be a better fit now under Lavi than he was injured under Goofus. I still like Arvidsson as a target for RW also.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad