Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
And we can sign a MacKinnon level player and lose because we can't keep the puck out of our own net.

I'm not big on giving Igor that much, but if not, you're really trying to bet your average goalie is "that guy" in the spring/summer

I mean, thats what the 2022 Avs were and they still ended up winning anyway.

When was the last time a team goalie'd they way to a cup?

I'm not even saying that they need to disregard the position completely, but theres a large gulf between Igor and someone who is just average. No reason why you can't make things work with a guy who is good or just pretty good. Thats kind of been the trend lately.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
MAF is the definition of mid.

He’s just accumulated HoF level of wins because he debuted at like 18 and played on some stacked teams. He’s never been elite though, not even when he won his Mickey Mouse ass Vezina in the Covid division year
He was on the all decade team LOL.

I'm an advocate for MAF being in the Hall of Fame because, statistically, there's almost no case for him not to be, but he's the biggest compiler in the history of sports. Binnington has a .908 save percentage and a -11.7 GSAA for his career. He sucks. Osgood is another compiler who was never more than above average. Yeah, Cam Ward went on a huge heater. Exactly my point. Any Schmoe can get hot. When's the last time a no-name center just went on a massive heater in the playoffs?

I mean, yeah, NHL goaltenders are good at goaltending and almost all of them (not Colorado in 2022) were at least playing well during the tournament. But compare the list of #1 goalies to win the Cup versus the best on those teams at every other position. It's the hydra meme.
The past 4 cups have featured the top 2 highest paid goalies in hockey. Its so odd that people are ignoring this

Reactions: Chytilmania

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
1719258808798.png
1719258841513.png

For the record, I'm in the keep Kakko camp, I just don't see how they add a guy like Joshua and replace Lindgren without moving him or Chytil (or Trouba) and inserting Berard or Othmann in his place

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
View attachment 886315View attachment 886316

For the record, I'm in the keep Kakko camp, I just don't see how they add a guy like Joshua and replace Lindgren without moving him or Chytil (or Trouba) and inserting Berard or Othmann in his place

Joshua would be the new Goodrow. No thanks. Way too much for a one hit wonder. Rather have Cuylle on the 3rd line and sign Lomberg. But I agree with everything else for the most part. Kane for 2 years is 2 much.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
View attachment 886315View attachment 886316

I love most everything about this with the exception of:
1) Don't trade for Ferraro, just sign Dillon. Keep those picks
2) Edstrom mainly played wing and has played wing in Sweden. Could he play center? Yes, but I think he is slotted for wing. With Chytil's injury concerns, I am hoping Drury can find a good 4C. Perhaps that guy is Blueger on a 2 year deal.
3) With Edstrom swinging to RW on that 4th line, I'd demote Rempe to get him playing time. He needs to play

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
i don't think lavi wants cuylle edstrom vesey on the 4th line, let alone cuylle edstrom rempe.

vesey is a good 13th forward because he can slot in at wing pretty much on any line for a few games. rempe i'm cool getting 15 mins a game in Hfd.

so in theory i like the idea of signing a cheaper (no more than 2.25 and no longer than 3 yes with no protection) 4C. Blueger works. id even be happy with no-event Wennberg there.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Surprised no one has posted the snippet of Staple saying that Drury doesn’t like Panarin and has been wanting to get rid of him for a while

Good to know our GM is a doofus

Last edited:
Reactions: RangersFan1994

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
But Lomberg is only 5'9. I thought everyone had to be over 6'

He hits everything that moves and can skate. Marchand is 5’9 who would not take him. They have to be tenacious and not a wuss like Panarin or Mika. Mika is 6’2. I dont want another wussy Mika that has size but rarely uses it on this team

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
In the same time span I counted 5.

Art ross is 6 since 1982 with half of them being Gretzky in the 80's.

I don't think its really a meaningful argument anyway. I think just simply saying "Look at the goalies who have won in the last 20 years and tell me how many of them have been elite" gets the point across.
It is kind of relevant (in its absurdity) because then we would extend the same argument to propose not to signing / extending elite skaters to elite contracts either since those also strap your team financially and don’t provide results. Keep looking for 22 Trochecks and if you miss go bern mode and / or rebuild over and over again.

The tax thing is overblown.

If a GM went to a player and said "well, New York is offering you 8 but 6.75 here is more than 8 there" every agent in the world would turn around and say "if they're offering us 8, you better offer us 8."
Worked on Stamoos (shrugs)

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
I wonder if Goodrow didn’t have the Sharks on his no trade if it would have been Kakko, Goodrow and pick 30 for pick 14.

Wonder if they just do Kakko and 30 for 14 to complete it on Friday.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Don Waddell with the Carolina Hurricanes had iced one of the top teams in the NHL over the last six years only to not make it past the ECF.
One (not the only) reason has been a dependable goalie.
Might be worth Chris Drury calling and find out what Don would find an acceptable salary that he’d be willing to pay Shesterkin the next 8 years plus he’s getting Igor’s one season remaining at 5.6 million. Shesterkin currently has a 10 team no trade list. Guessing, 7 of those teams are in Canada. Wouldn’t guess on the other 3 but if Columbus isn’t one of them might be worth looking into Igor Shesterkin for Elvis Merzlikins plus what ever Drury wants from the Blue Jacket cupboard .
Merzlikins with a chance of scenery and working with Benoit Allaire could be a steal and we always have Quick.
Sell for Columbus is you build a team from the goalie out and the Blue Jackets are getting the best goalie in the NHL for the next 9 years.

Make the call Chris.

Reactions: Daves a mess
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad