Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You should spend money on good players (unless they're goalies). It's the big contracts on garbage that sink you.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
What they do with Lindgren will tell us everything we need to know about how they evaluate defensemen.

If he's shipped out and they replace him with a proper player, we're in good shape.

The Tanev stuff would be wonderful (He and Miller would be a baller pair), but it only really works if they move Trouba. I suppose that it can work for a year but thats a ton of money to tie up on one side of the ice. He's an excellent defenseman though and he pushes transition the way that you want it to be pushed despite his point totals not being anything special.

clickkkbbaaiiitttt

Can Tanev play the left side? The LHD UFA market is pretty meh, but the RHD market is pretty good and I wonder if a guy like Tanev or Montour can play the left side with Fox.

Totally agree on Lindgren. Im pretty optimistic on the Rangers but extending Lindgren would be a massive red flag, when UTAH and their 15 2nd round picks are sitting there with no NHL defenseman.

Yeah thats what we need another soft player like Zegras

If Zegras is replacing Chyil, sure. That's the only swap that makes the Rangers even marginally better next year and beyond.

Reactions: 100Eyes

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Non-elite #1 centers to win the Cup since the lockout:

Andrew MacDonald, 2007
Ryan O'Reilly, 2019

Non-elite #1 wingers to win the Cup since the lockout:

Justin Williams, 2006
Chris Kunitz, 2009
Dustin Brown, 2012
Marian Gaborik, 2014
Vladimir Tarsenko, 2019

Non-Elite #1 defensemen to win the Cup since the lockout:

Bret Hedican?, 2006
Whoever played when Letang was hurt, 2017
John Carlson, 2018
Maybe Evan Bouchard?, 2024

Non-Elite #1 goalies to win the Cup since the lockout:

Cam Ward, 2006
Chris Osgood, 2008
Marc-Andre Fleury, 2009
Antti Niemi, 2010
Matt Murray, 2016
Matt Murray, 2017
Jordan Binnington, 2019
Whatever trash played for Colorado, 2022
Adin Hill, 2023
Maybe Stuart Skinner, 2024

It's not like the other positions.

Reactions: mas0764

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
if lindgren gets 4 years here with protection clauses at a top-4 D aav then we should trade igor because we're not winning shit.

imagine having a norris winning Dman drop into your lap and saddling him with his underachiever best friend forever.

what is it with this team and prioritizing cutesy on ice friendships above maximizing talent

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I don't see Drury moving Kakko for futures. He's trying to win now. Drury saw Gorts and JD canned and knows his lifespan as GM isn't unlimited. If Kakko's moved it'll be a hockey trade.

Kakko will most likely be moved for futures, that Drury will likely flip for an establish player. A lot of good players on the market are there as cap dumps. Taking back Kakko's money limits teams looking to spend the freed up cap in house.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
No cap space last year. Kane signed before Chytil had his setback. I do think a lot of the kane chatter is from his camp. The only way he comes back to the Rangers, imo, is if he signs a 35+ bonus laden deal.
I hope that is a 1 year deal at league minimum. A bag of pucks for every 10 games played. every 10 games counts as "bonus laden" yes?

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
With how the Rangers develop goalies, I don't see the need for them to sign one to a premier $9-10m+ AAV contract. Sign some schlub in the $4-6m range and use that extra money literally anywhere else in the lineup.

Kakko will most likely be moved for futures, that Drury will likely flip for an establish player. A lot of good players on the market are there as cap dumps. Taking back Kakko's money limits teams looking to spend the freed up cap in house.

There's a negative chance Kakko is moved only for futures considering where the team is. If he goes, a roster player comes back. IMO It's a stretch to think any team is offering even a late 1st for him, so we're getting 2nds and beyond. We're not getting the same value out of those picks in a trade compared to trading Kakko straight up. Then again crazier things have happened I suppose.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Omg that was so dumb. KK has been here 5 years and he needs his hand held by another unnamed Finish player to succeed? Who should this player be? Zooks has never played with another player from Norway.
I think he meant first couple of seasons to get him acclimated and bring him out of his shell.
Zucc was 23, not 18, when he got here and far more outgoing.
Again this is an example of NYR maybe not going above and beyond to maximize their assets. It’s not like that sort of shit is “required,” but if helped and speeded development, why wouldn’t management explore it?

Reactions: gump116
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad