Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
4 of 6.

Anyone is off their rocker if they think games 1 or 2 were blowouts going the other way.

This series ended in 6 as it should have.

To what? 15th on the depth chart?

Disagree on game 2. Thought we escaped the 3rd and got lucky with the OT winner.

We should have won game 3 in regulation, but pissed that away.

Game 6 was evenly played, but beyond that, when it mattered, we got caved

So, maybe 2 of 6 games, beyond that, no, we were not in this series.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Honestly, after thinking about it, give Kakko the Lafreniere commitment.

Kreider - Mika - Lafreniere
Panarin - Trocheck - Kakko -> All year. Put up or shut up.
Cuylle - Chytil - UFA/Trade
Edstrom - Goodrow - Rempe/Vesey

13th/14th F Brodzinski

Miller / Fox
Lindgren / Schneider
Jones / Trouba

PP1

Panarin - Mika - Lafreniere
Fox - Kreider

Chytil - Trocheck - Kakko
Jones - UFA/Trade

Maybe upgrade and trade rights to Lindgren + 1st 30OA + prospect for top 4 LD.

Unfortunately, I don't think Trouba is going anywhere. We just have to hope he somehow improves.
Kreider and Mika have not worked at ES for what, 3 years since Buch left? Literally not one player has worked with those two. They need to be separated for the love of god. Kreider should be on the 3rd line at ES.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I remember the last summer people people insisted Kreider needed to be dropped to the bottom six.

He scored 52 goals.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Honestly, after thinking about it, give Kakko the Lafreniere commitment.

Kreider - Mika - Lafreniere
Panarin - Trocheck - Kakko -> All year. Put up or shut up.
Cuylle - Chytil - UFA/Trade
Edstrom - Goodrow - Rempe/Vesey

13th/14th F Brodzinski

Miller / Fox
Lindgren / Schneider
Jones / Trouba

PP1

Panarin - Mika - Lafreniere
Fox - Kreider

Chytil - Trocheck - Kakko
Jones - UFA/Trade

Maybe upgrade and trade rights to Lindgren + 1st 30OA + prospect for top 4 LD.

Unfortunately, I don't think Trouba is going anywhere. We just have to hope he somehow improves.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Panarin said he didn't like playing with Kakko.

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
I really don't see any big shake ups this off season. I think Dru prob sees them as a team that made the ECF and will kick the can down the road. The biggest move I see is Kakko for a player like Kaliyev, or another prospect who requested a trade/is blocked. I could see a move like Jeannot, not that I'm calling for it but Tampa prob wants to clear space and he's the type of guy Dru prob wants to add for that area. I also see them signing a player like Ardvisson. He's battled injuries so he'll come cheap on. a 1 year deal, plus IIRC he broke in under PL. Figure he's like Gus in that sense, but with the lengthy injury history it'll end up giving Othmann/Berard a chance. I would trade Lindgren but I think Dru gives him a bridge deal this way they have a ton of cap space 2 years from now when they can really revamp the team. I also see both Edstrom & Rempe making the team as 12/13F and splitting time at that position.

Not necessarily what I'd do but I just feel Dru will be patient and wait until next off season to try and deal Trouba

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
OK here me out, there would need to be some cap voodoo but I think it can be done:

Bread - Tro - Laf
CK- Mika - Zegras
Zegras - Brady Tkachuk - Cuylle (double shifting Zegras, but shifting his wing assignment would be a tactic no opponent would be able to overcome)
Vesey - Goodrow - Rempe

Fox - Miller
Schneider - Jones
Zegras - Hajek

Igor
Quick

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Eh f*** it. Get Tkachuk. Sign Blueger, Dillion, and De Haan. Trade Chytil, Kakko, Lindgren, Othmann, our 1st and Goodrow in various deals to get it all done. Make it fun.

Panarin-Tro-Laf
Kreider-Z-Tkachuk
Cuylle-Blueger-Berard
Vesey-Edstrom-Rempe

Miller-Fox
Dillion-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

Is it great? I don't know. Is it fun? Yes. Haha

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
OK here me out, there would need to be some cap voodoo but I think it can be done:

Bread - Tro - Laf
CK- Mika - Zegras
Zegras - Brady Tkachuk - Cuylle (double shifting Zegras, but shifting his wing assignment would be a tactic no opponent would be able to overcome)
Vesey - Goodrow - Rempe

Fox - Miller
Schneider - Jones
Zegras - Hajek

Igor
Quick
That's one way to get around the "Zegras doesn't play any defense" argument. Literally play him on defense. :laugh:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Let's play a game. Let's find a team that won't be on Trouba's NTC AND would have an interest in him. Lots of assumptions coming but here goes.

I assume based on prior history that Trouba will block any trade to Canada. That's 7 teams (MTL/OTT/TOR/EDM/WIN/CAL/VAN) right off the bat. Leaving 8 spots left for him to block. My hunch is that he will ALLOW trades to any Metro team, because I dont think the Rangers would ever trade him in division (MAYBE Columbus because of the Davidson connection).

That leaves 17 teams. VGK/COL/MIN/STL/BOS/FLA/TBL all look to me like teams who wouldn't have interest, don't have cap space, or both.

The list of teams that
1. Have the cap space
2. Have the roster need (suspend your disbelief long enough to acknowledge teams and GMs value Trouba more than fans) and
3. The Rangers would feel ok trading him there

10 teams:

Anaheim
San Jose
Seattle
Chicago
Nashville
Utah
Buffalo
Detroit
Columbus?
Dallas? (don't know where they go from here but they need RD)

I think there is a hockey trade to be made with any of those teams. he can't block all of them.

Fair. Im not against it.
What about Philly?

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Kreider is a top 6 event strength wing.

Zibanejad would be best suited as a third line even strength player. I would rather have a healthy Chytil at 2C.
The way Chytil is talked about on here has always been really confusing. I get that his injuries make him a giant question mark now but i always see people act as if his play on the ice has never been top 6 caliber and he’s just this cheeks euro defensive liability. 22-23 Chytil put up 2.25 p/60 at 5v5. Kreider has done that once, Trocheck never, Zib once in the season he shot a billion percent.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
The way Chytil is talked about on here has always been really confusing. I get that his injuries make him a giant question mark now but i always see people act as if his play on the ice has never been top 6 caliber and he’s just this cheeks euro defensive liability. 22-23 Chytil put up 2.25 p/60 at 5v5. Kreider has done that once, Trocheck never, Zib once in the season he shot a billion percent.
Relying on him to be our 2C & hoping he makes it through next season unscathed is how GMs get fired. He needs to learn how to play RW & IF he can stay healthy, maybe he fills the void in the top 6. Honestly, anything we get out of him is gravy, I'm not high on his long term prospects.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
puckpedia.com
The more I think about it the more I'm willing to give Trouba one last run with us this next season. I know I sound crazy but unless Drury is able to sign someone like Pesce, there's really no other replacement that could be as effective as Trouba can be at his best. I know Trouba's "best" isn't that impressive to begin with but I think if he doesn't stop getting ahead of himself and trying to play like a top-4 guy every night he's going to continue to get lost out there, his body is slowing down and he needs to realize it. We've seen the same exact thing happen to every type of defenseman that plays the Troub way. A good start for 24-25 is Jacob being a lock for 3rd pair RD all of next season and Laviolette limiting his minutes by about 5%. Maybe then Trouba can start refining aspects of his defensive game and play more consistent because of it.
If not, then summer 2025 is buyout time for him and Drury will rip up the last remaining year.

The real decesion right now for Drury's NYR blueline is what to do about Lindgren.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Let's play a game. Let's find a team that won't be on Trouba's NTC AND would have an interest in him. Lots of assumptions coming but here goes.

I assume based on prior history that Trouba will block any trade to Canada. That's 7 teams (MTL/OTT/TOR/EDM/WIN/CAL/VAN) right off the bat. Leaving 8 spots left for him to block. My hunch is that he will ALLOW trades to any Metro team, because I dont think the Rangers would ever trade him in division (MAYBE Columbus because of the Davidson connection).

That leaves 17 teams. VGK/COL/MIN/STL/BOS/FLA/TBL all look to me like teams who wouldn't have interest, don't have cap space, or both.

The list of teams that
1. Have the cap space
2. Have the roster need (suspend your disbelief long enough to acknowledge teams and GMs value Trouba more than fans) and
3. The Rangers would feel ok trading him there

10 teams:

Anaheim
San Jose
Seattle
Chicago
Nashville
Utah
Buffalo
Detroit
Columbus?
Dallas? (don't know where they go from here but they need RD)

I think there is a hockey trade to be made with any of those teams. he can't block all of them.

Fair. Im not against it.
I would avoid buying out Trouba if at all possible. They would have to retain the max (50% or have a third team take some of it). They'll likely have to add an asset to it depending on the asset, I'd do that.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Relying on him to be our 2C & hoping he makes it through next season unscathed is how GMs get fired. He needs to learn how to play RW & IF he can stay healthy, maybe he fills the void in the top 6. Honestly, anything we get out of him is gravy, I'm not high on his long term prospects.
I don’t really see what the position swap solves. If you’re concerned about him getting injured it makes more sense to have him penciled as a third line center where there’s a semblance of depth. He’s also just not good as a wing at all

Reactions: CLW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad