Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Not difficult, you say? Laf, at least going back to the WJC has played on the left wall on the PP. Well he can't do that on PP1 with us because then neither he nor Panarin is a one-timer option. Not that they have as good of a one timer as Mika but due to handedness it's not even an option. So are you taking Panarin off PP1 also? I assume not. So you flip them and you put Panarin in the Mika spot and Laf in the Panarin spot. Problem solved. Now who are you running the PP through? The guy who puts up 95-120 points every year or the guy who has like single digit career PP points and is playing on the side of the ice he is not accustomed to? I assume Panarin. Great, awesome. Now Trocheck in the bumper as a right handed stick where the puck is now originating with Panarin in the old Mika spot becomes utterly useless. He becomes a left handed shortstop. So now you have to take him out and put a lefty in there. Hopefully that lefty can take draws as well as Troch cause we just took out Mika also so there is nobody to take faceoffs. And now Keider...instead of standing near the right post when Panarin had the puck on the right side, and doing those fancy goalline tips and the backdoor, backhand, through the legs passes that you've spent hour after hour honing, we want you to stand near the left post with Panarin on the left side of the ice and learn a whole new set of skills.

It's not that difficult.
When he’s right, he’s right.

Reactions: Ail

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
People keep saying Kreider/Zib haven’t rolled with a RW since Buchnevich.

Great chemistry
5.8M expiring contract
Actually a great two way forward these days

Why would we not bring him back outside of the obvious piece of Drury swallowing his pride?

Reactions: noncents

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Yeah Im sure a PP group consisting of Fox, Kreider, Panarin, and Trocheck, can only succeed with Mika on it.
It would necessitate completely revamping the way the PP is setup and how they attack. And Lafreniere is not really a threat to shoot off the pass, so putting him on his off wing is not ideal by any means. It would eliminate the down low play, it would take Trocheck of PP1.

Reactions: Atax

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Four takeaways:

1) Mollie and Larry made mention of speaking with Laviolette today. Does anyone have information on an upcoming presser with Laviolette and Drury today?

2) Boyle talked about moving Lindgren in a hypothetical deal to Vegas for a bigger body defenseman.

3) Larry is correct along with other Media and former players that the team needs to get bigger and onerous.

4) my take is that a system was put in place my Knoblaugh and continued by Smith where the Wolf Pack’s four lines all played the same way in the O-Zone.
One man down low, another along the weak half wall and the third forward right on top of the opposing goalie.
Jake Leschyshyn
Brian Berard
Anton Blidh
Karl Henriksson
Riley Nash
Rempe and Edstrom when they were there all stood at the top of the paint. Some of those players are not big men yet they bought into the system and those that didn’t found themselves in an out of the lineup. Drury and Martin are building a culture in Hartford; hopefully they are not replaced before we get to reap the benefits of that culture.

Here's what I find annoying. Every year guys like Larry react to the one team that they lost to and say "this is how the Rangers should play". I'm sure that last year he was saying that they need to add speed and transition better. The team that you lose to and even the team that wins the cup doesn't have the only blueprint.

Last edited:

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Yeah Im sure a PP group consisting of Fox, Kreider, Panarin, and Trocheck, can only succeed with Mika on it.
I like to think that if I didn’t work in the coaching profession for a HOFer that I would still grasp basic concepts in sports but maybe I’d just be another donk.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
It would necessitate completely revamping the way the PP is setup and how they attack. And Lafreniere is not really a threat to shoot off the pass, so putting him on his off wing is not ideal by any means. It would eliminate the down low play, it would take Trocheck of PP1.
Yeah and I'm fine with the revamp. I want our #1 OA who has emerged to get top PP minutes. I disagree with the notion that he's ineffective off the pass. You know who is ineffective off the pass on the PP? Mika. We had to watch them force feed him shots on the PP when he didnt score an ES goal for like 45 games.

I get not wanting to change whats working, but sometimes you need to make a change. And thats just how I see it. Not saying I'm right or wrong, just what I want to see.

I dont know what that giant unformatted mess was.

Reactions: tiggles

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Rangers get Rasmussen
Red Wings get Kakko

Fair?

Nope Ras just resigned they won’t deal him

Sadly they have no picks so Kakko for a 2nd, 3rd , 4th . They can use those in future trades . Maybe keep 1 for this year the others futures

Can use the cap space on a ufa

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Jake DeBrusk. The Rangers and Bruins discussed a Chytil for DeBrusk trade two years ago. DeBrusk is a free agent. Still a young player at 27. He is a left handed shooter. The Rangers might revisit DeBrusk in free agency. The Rangers need another top six winger.

This really does make sense

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Much easier to replace a W mid season than a Center.

It's also way too soon to say he can't play wing. We only saw 4 games of him trying after a 6 month layoff. He wouldn't have looked any better at C coming back in the middle of the playoffs.
They’ve tried him there a few times over the years and it sucks every time. It’s not his skillset at all, which is fine. Chytil is a pure transition guy who’s gonna wheel the puck through the middle of the ice from blue to blue and drive the play with his ability to generate controlled entries. Last season he was among the best at that, better than pretty much anyone not named Hughes or Point.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
The hilarious part is it’s now en vogue to want Mika off the PP for Laf. That’s the solution. It’s Laviolette’s biggest criticism. However these same people for years were convinced the solution was to put Laf in the bumper for Strome and then Trocheck. This despite Gallant saying given the other personnel that the bumper had to be a righty…despite Kreider saying when we signed Trocheck that the best part is that they can have the righty back in the bumper…and despite, most importantly, your boy Huerter trying his best to inform anyone who would listen.

New paragraph…what changed? it’s the boy who cried wolf. They were so wrong about putting Laf in the bumper but they were so steadfast. It was all based on emotion. They weren’t cised (sorry it’s the most apt word and it flies on terrestrial radio) for Strome and year 1 Trocheck. So put Laf the lefty at shortstop. Now they aren’t cised for Mika so it’s time to rearrange the whole diamond.

Paragraph me. You cried wolf. You exposed yourself as being emotional and not schematic. Now you must sit back and let the coaches do what they get paid to do, but really what anyone with basic concepts can grasp.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Not yet at least.

Should really be a point of emphasis for him this offseason.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
The hilarious part is it’s now en vogue to want Mika off the PP for Laf. That’s the solution. It’s Laviolette’s biggest criticism. However these same people for years were convinced the solution was to put Laf in the bumper for Strome and then Trocheck. This despite Gallant saying given the other personnel that the bumper had to be a righty…despite Kreider saying when we signed Trocheck that the best part is that they can have the righty back in the bumper…and despite, most importantly, your boy Huerter trying his best to inform anyone who would listen.

New paragraph…what changed? it’s the boy who cried wolf. They were so wrong about putting Laf in the bumper but they were so steadfast. It was all based on emotion. They weren’t cised (sorry it’s the most apt word and it flies on terrestrial radio) for Strome and year 1 Trocheck. So put Laf the lefty at shortstop. Now they aren’t cised for Mika so it’s time to rearrange the whole diamond.

Paragraph me. You cried wolf. You exposed yourself as being emotional and not schematic. Now you must sit back and let the coaches do what they get paid to do, but really what anyone with basic concepts can grasp.
I really wouldn’t clown people for suggesting a left handed shot at the bumper. Yes it’s typically preferred to have the goal line passer and bumper as opposite handedness but it’s not some rule you have to abide by. NYR almost never convert on Kreider passes to the bumper anyway. I can’t even remember a play this season where they sent it down low and Kreider found Trocheck for a goal. Here is a picture of a Gerard Gallant team (the most recent game he has coached in the NHL) set up in the 1-3-1 in a game 7 with a left handed shot Tarasenko playing the bumper position

7653B36D-A3A6-4F4C-8716-4F2171F03780.png

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
I really wouldn’t clown people for suggesting a left handed shot at the bumper. Yes it’s typically preferred to have the goal line passer and bumper as opposite handedness but it’s not some rule you have to abide by. NYR almost never convert on Kreider passes to the bumper anyway. I can’t even remember a play this season where they sent it down low and Kreider found Trocheck for a goal. Here is a picture of a Gerard Gallant team (the most recent game he has coached in the NHL) set up in the 1-3-1 in a game 7 with a left handed shot Tarasenko playing the bumper position

View attachment 879880
It's more about being a threat and drawing attention when Panarin has the puck than anything to do with Kreider

Gallant had to acquiesce when we got Kane and Tarasenko. They tried a bunch of nonsense like having Kane near the low circle on Panarin's side. I try to forget that whole segment of time in our recent history.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
People forget Panarin used to be in Mika’s spot, who was the bumper. Laf would be great in Panarin’s spot and Panarin in Mika’s.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
People forget Panarin used to be in Mika’s spot, who was the bumper. Laf would be great in Panarin’s spot and Panarin in Mika’s.
The most important thing is just getting your best dual threat players out there in any capacity (lafreniere, panarin, trocheck probably a tier below). A major theme across the league this year was power plays that can move in and out of different alignments with mobile players who can switch positions to find lanes and cause chaos. The Sedin style exchange in the corner is becoming very popular again and the oilers spam it better than anyone and get a ton of Draisaitl goals from it.

No team cares about Zibanejads one timer, he’s not a decoy. It’s not a threat unless it’s taken from the top of the circle off a seam pass. I used to like him there because Panarin was actually finding him on cross ice passes for goals, in both the regular season and playoffs. It’s not happening anymore. The dookie Fox -> Mika one timer from the outside is an easy muffin for every goalie because they barely have to move. Off the top of my head I think he might have scored it once this season on an absolutely perfect shot against Buffalo.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The RW for Kreider and Zibanejad is Berard. He’s the right type of forward there and he costs nothing.

The question is, what RW can they find to play with Chytil and Cuylle.

Can someone compare Hague, McNabb and Dillon? For a guy projected to get a short term deal at like $3m, he’s a big body who hits a lot and plays a hard nosed game. It’s not a long commitment either.

Trouba, Lindgren and Gustafsson out, Roy, Dillon and Jones in. Major upgrade in general and it should save $$ on the cap. Allocate that to a good veteran RW for Chytil and an above average 4C as insurance for Chytil.

Panarin-Trochek-Lafreniere
Kreider-Zibanejad-Berard
Cuylle-Chytil-_______
Edstrom-_______-Rempe/________
Rempe/_______

Miller-Fox
Dillon-Roy
Jones-Schneider
________
_________

Just off the top of my head:
Perron for 2 years or Arvidsson but if it’s Arvidsson, they need a backup plan, like Barabanov
Blueger for 3 years
I’m going to assume this depth forward will come back in one of the trades (say Kostin from SJ)
Ruwedhl for 1 year
I’m assuming this depth defenseman will come back in one of the trades

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
People really forget that our PP was touted as our number one strength during the regular season, going into the playoffs and during the playoffs. It was better than in 2019-20 when Panarin played that side. It was better than any year where Mika personally had more goals.

What's the problem?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
People really forget that our PP was touted as our number one strength during the regular season, going into the playoffs and during the playoffs. It was better than in 2019-20 when Panarin played that side. It was better than any year where Mika personally had more goals.

What's the problem?

I thought that the calls for changes were ridiculous in the regular season. But in retrospect it would have been nice to try it a few times. Because starting with game 3 against Carolina when the Rangers ran out of set plays it sucked. How much worse than 2 for the rest of the playoffs could they have done with Lafreniere? People weren't calling for Kakko on it.

Reactions: bhamill and Atax

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

View attachment 879880
They got shut out this game lol.

I remember, but the PP wasn’t as good then and it got changed pretty quickly. I’m not saying it couldn’t work with a LH shot on the right wall, but if the PP is going to run through Panarin then the LH shooter has to be able to one time pucks with precision otherwise teams will not even attempt to defend that seam.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
They got shut out this game lol.

I remember, but the PP wasn’t as good then and it got changed pretty quickly. I’m not saying it couldn’t work with a LH shot on the right wall, but if the PP is going to run through Panarin then the LH shooter has to be able to one time pucks with precision otherwise teams will not even attempt to defend that seam.
im not saying it was a good setup. That guy was basically making fun of people for suggesting a left handed shot at bumper and said Gerard Gallant wouldn’t ever do that lol

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
I thought that the calls for changes were ridiculous in the regular season. But in retrospect it would have been nice to try it a few times. Because starting with game 3 against Carolina when the Rangers ran out of set plays it sucked. How much worse than 2 for the rest of the playoffs could they have done with Lafreniere? People weren't calling for Kakko on it.
You don't know they are going 2 for the rest of the playoffs until they go 2 for the rest of the playoffs. You can use the "how much worse could it have been" line for any bad performance. How much worse would it have been to play someone else instead of Judge when he went 1-16 against Houston in the playoffs after a 62 homer season?

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Highly doubt Lindgren is going anywhere. I think he comes in at a reasonable number. My hope would be he plays down the lineup. They need a top pairing LD and it's not Miller either.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad