Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Zibanejad is going to have to find it within himself guys. He needs to put in the work and find his game again, and he needs to come back determined to shut everyone up. I know the takes are hot right now, but they were hot last year with Panarin and look how he rebounded. Its on him to decide what legacy he wants to leave.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
You said "the last three years".

Mika and Kreider have 109 ES goals the last three years and Lafreniere was on the best line in the entire league goals 5v5 this year.

Fair.

I still think they should be put on separate lines next season and see how things shake out.

Reactions: Atax

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Detroit is dying to get rid of Copp
That's why I'd trade for him. Losing Wallman might be tough for them, but ditching Copp could be worthwhile. Not that Copp lit the world on fire here, but being able to play any forward position is a good option in case Chytil goes down again. Worst-case, you have a capable top-9 RW.

But looking at their D, they'd probably rather keep Wallman. Maybe send Holl instead.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
The key is to stop lumping Kreider and Mika together. In comparing stats, play, etc. Kreider has developed and enhanced his game as he's gotten older. Dude is dropping 30+ every year. He's a gym rat who has become the best net front presence in the league. Mika, if anything, is dragging Kreider down. A line of Kreider-Trocheck-Laf sounds amazing.

Meanwhile, Mika's game has dropped off a cliff. He simply cant score at ES and cant win a physical battle against anyone. PK units are letting him take his awful shot because he's the worst scoring threat on the PP. Put him on PP 2 and move Laf up.

Keep them together on the PK. I feel like this stuff isnt difficult. Hopefully the coach has the guts to do it. I really dont care about hurting Mika's ego with the demotion and hopefully the coach doesnt either.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
My way too early roster construction, swap Chytil and Trochek, just figure he'd be good for Othmann.

Panarin Zibanejad Berard
Kreider chytil Lafreniere
Othmann trochek Kakko
Cuylle Goodrow Rempe/Enstrom

Miller Schneider
Lindgren Fox
Jones Trouba
Robertson(imo the answer to a pair for Fox by seasons end, don't care how he's looked in Hartford, Schneider looked mediocre before his call up)

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
That's why I'd trade for him. Losing Wallman might be tough for them, but ditching Copp could be worthwhile. Not that Copp lit the world on fire here, but being able to play any forward position is a good option in case Chytil goes down again. Worst-case, you have a capable top-9 RW.

But looking at their D, they'd probably rather keep Wallman. Maybe send Holl instead.
Oh, I think Holl is also on there list of PLEASE TAKE HIM players. What are we, the Yzerplan garbage dump? We already took Brenden Smith from them once.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
My way too early roster construction

Kreider Zibanejad Othmann
Panarin Trocheck Lafreniere
Berard Chytil Kakko

Miller Schneider
Lindgren Fox
Jones Trouba
Robertson(imo the answer to a pair for Fox by seasons end, don't care how he's looked in Hartford, Schneider looked mediocre before his call up)
Zero changes? Ouch. Another useless kick at the can with that awful defense.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Zero changes? Ouch. Another useless kick at the can with that awful defense.

That's what the trade deadline is for, use the kids, find out what you need and add accordingly. We went about it backwards this year, didn't play the kids, didn't know if Othmann, Berard or Roberston could have been used, added some stop gaps and still needed more. We will make the playoffs regardless, just find out what you have and you save cap space to boot.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I don’t really see what the position swap solves. If you’re concerned about him getting injured it makes more sense to have him penciled as a third line center where there’s a semblance of depth. He’s also just not good as a wing at all
Much easier to replace a W mid season than a Center.

It's also way too soon to say he can't play wing. We only saw 4 games of him trying after a 6 month layoff. He wouldn't have looked any better at C coming back in the middle of the playoffs.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
That's what the trade deadline is for, use the kids, find out what you need and add accordingly. We went about it backwards this year, didn't play the kids, didn't know if Othmann, Berard or Roberston could have been used, added some stop gaps and still needed more. We will make the playoffs regardless, just find out what you have and you save cap space to boot.
I mean, the team clearly needs a top 6 RW. I can understand your point about the forward group. (Outside of Kakko who needs to go).

But the defense? I dont think it will be so easy to make upgrades on D at the trade deadline. Especially since both Lindgren and Trouba need to be moved. It will involve a lot of cap space/picks etc during a time where every other playoff team is looking to make upgrades. Unless you think Trouba/Lindgren should be apart of another playoff push? That would mean just getting another bottom 6 guy who barely gets 10 min a game.

I just dont see how thats enough to get this team over the hump.
Miller Fox
Upgrade-Upgrade
Jones Schneider

Seems so much better to me.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
Any chance Rangers can trade back for Buch? Would it be too bad of a look to trade back for him? Are the Blues even gonna make him available?

Presumably, getting that 1RW that fits for that line will be a focus this offseason. Why not get the guy who you know works there?

I feel like there's a better chance Fox and Lindgren get split up than Mika and Kreider. Maybe that's just me. Could be wrong.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
The key is to stop lumping Kreider and Mika together. In comparing stats, play, etc. Kreider has developed and enhanced his game as he's gotten older. Dude is dropping 30+ every year. He's a gym rat who has become the best net front presence in the league. Mika, if anything, is dragging Kreider down. A line of Kreider-Trocheck-Laf sounds amazing.

Meanwhile, Mika's game has dropped off a cliff. He simply cant score at ES and cant win a physical battle against anyone. PK units are letting him take his awful shot because he's the worst scoring threat on the PP. Put him on PP 2 and move Laf up.

Keep them together on the PK. I feel like this stuff isnt difficult. Hopefully the coach has the guts to do it. I really dont care about hurting Mika's ego with the demotion and hopefully the coach doesnt either.

Mika had a bad year. -HOWEVER- the year before he had his highest point total ever (91). Let's see what happens next year before we start declaring trends. Nobody knows what the guy might've been dealing with physically or personally this year.

CTTribe73

Aug 17, 2023
My way too early roster construction, swap Chytil and Trochek, just figure he'd be good for Othmann.

Panarin Zibanejad Berard
Kreider chytil Lafreniere
Othmann trochek Kakko

Miller Schneider
Lindgren Fox
Jones Trouba
You misspelled Matthews 'Berard'.

Softest line in the history of hockey. DO IT DRURY!

huerter

Aug 16, 2020

Not difficult, you say? Laf, at least going back to the WJC has played on the left wall on the PP. Well he can't do that on PP1 with us because then neither he nor Panarin is a one-timer option. Not that they have as good of a one timer as Mika but due to handedness it's not even an option. So are you taking Panarin off PP1 also? I assume not. So you flip them and you put Panarin in the Mika spot and Laf in the Panarin spot. Problem solved. Now who are you running the PP through? The guy who puts up 95-120 points every year or the guy who has like single digit career PP points and is playing on the side of the ice he is not accustomed to? I assume Panarin. Great, awesome. Now Trocheck in the bumper as a right handed stick where the puck is now originating with Panarin in the old Mika spot becomes utterly useless. He becomes a left handed shortstop. So now you have to take him out and put a lefty in there. Hopefully that lefty can take draws as well as Troch cause we just took out Mika also so there is nobody to take faceoffs. And now Keider...instead of standing near the right post when Panarin had the puck on the right side, and doing those fancy goalline tips and the backdoor, backhand, through the legs passes that you've spent hour after hour honing, we want you to stand near the left post with Panarin on the left side of the ice and learn a whole new set of skills.

It's not that difficult.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
This team has 5 top 6 forwards healthy for the whole season. The ones that didn't get to play with one were Mika and Kreider. They were productive offensively and worse defensively with guys like Wheeler and the other way around with guys like Kakko.

We need to give them a legit player. That hasn't been done since Buchnevich. Lafreniere last year was not the one this year. I'd be interested if that combo would work, especially since Lafreniere has found himself.

Name me the players that are producing as much as they have recently with needing to carry around a 3rd liner with them? Maybe it is moving Mika to RW and letting Chytil be the C. I'm still inclined to add someone that will be able to create space and is a good passer.

Outside of repairing the defense, we just need to add a legit good player, 2nd line type. Whatever combos they come up with will be better than Kreider-Mika-X this season.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
SJ needs to surround Smith, Macklin and all those kids with some vets. Grier and Drury are close. Grier knows Goodrow and Trouba.

Perhaps a fit there?
Potentially but I'd expect SJ to be on the no trade list with how bad they are. Unless Dr. Trouba has some sort of connection to the Bay Area. Utah is another city that could use similar veteran help on their blueline. Arizona previously would have been on his NT list but perhaps Utah slips in? Chicago is on a similar list. They can perhaps employ Trouba to be one of Bedard's body guards.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Not difficult, you say? Laf, at least going back to the WJC has played on the left wall on the PP. Well he can't do that on PP1 with us because then neither he nor Panarin is a one-timer option. Not that they have as good of a one timer as Mika but due to handedness it's not even an option. So are you taking Panarin off PP1 also? I assume not. So you flip them and you put Panarin in the Mika spot and Laf in the Panarin spot. Problem solved. Now who are you running the PP through? The guy who puts up 95-120 points every year or the guy who has like single digit career PP points and is playing on the side of the ice he is not accustomed to? I assume Panarin. Great, awesome. Now Trocheck in the bumper as a right handed stick where the puck is now originating with Panarin in the old Mika spot becomes utterly useless. He becomes a left handed shortstop. So now you have to take him out and put a lefty in there. Hopefully that lefty can take draws as well as Troch cause we just took out Mika also so there is nobody to take faceoffs. And now Keider...instead of standing near the right post when Panarin had the puck on the right side, and doing those fancy goalline tips and the backdoor, backhand, through the legs passes that you've spent hour after hour honing, we want you to stand near the left post with Panarin on the left side of the ice and learn a whole new set of skills.

It's not that difficult.
Paragraphs dude. No one can read anything that looks like that.

They're professional athletes. They'll figure it out.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Any chance Rangers can trade back for Buch? Would it be too bad of a look to trade back for him? Are the Blues even gonna make him available?

Presumably, getting that 1RW that fits for that line will be a focus this offseason. Why not get the guy who you know works there?

I feel like there's a better chance Fox and Lindgren get split up than Mika and Kreider. Maybe that's just me. Could be wrong.
Could you imagine if we could trade Trouba for Buch?

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Paragraphs dude. No one can read anything that looks like that.

They're professional athletes. They'll figure it out.
Save some for the rest of us.

Put a lefty thrower at third, second or short. They'll figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad