Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXIII - As the bell tolls, who will stay who will go?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
The writing is on the wall. A lot of major pieces are available, a lot of teams are cap/cash strapped, and the Rangers suddenly have all the prospects and cap space to spare. The holdup is GMs trying to maximize value combined with Gorton negotiating from strength. Be patient guys, good things are coming.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
We have 23 million in space.

The hell would we need the extra space for?

I can't believe I'm even thinking this and further still, typing this. But the only reason would be cap space / walk away rights in such a way that it is settled before the Wed QO deadline. Would they actually consider the 1oA for Eichel?

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Might be reading too much into it and I'm of course biased in the whole thing, but that Adams denial feels an awful lot like someone saying, "I didn't want to go out with you anyway" after getting rejected.

It absolutely could be negotiating posturing. Probably not...but it could be.

Reactions: Minmonster

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
The Rangers have engaged with no less than 6 teams in the last 48 hours. At least 3 of them were serious conversations.

This list includes, but is not limited to Calgary, San Jose, Edmonton and Chicago. The latter two were draft-related conversations.
I saw where Toronto and Montreal are making their 1st rounders available for roster players.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I can't believe I'm even thinking this and further still, typing this. But the only reason would be cap space / walk away rights in such a way that it is settled before the Wed QO deadline. Would they actually consider the 1oA for Eichel?

No. I can't see it.

But it still makes no sense. Why would you let Strome go for free? Even if they made that trade, qualify him and trade him.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Until something happens, literally everything is pure speculation. Unless you guys are just meme’ing about Eichel at this point and I’m not getting the e-sarcasm.

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
I think i might have created the perfect nyr scenario->
Year 2020- Nyr- patrik Laine
Win- strome, 22nd overall,matthew robertson, andersson
Year 2021- Buff- laine and mika zibanejad
Nyr- eichel
Gets a year of Laine and zibanejad, then you get chytil to step up to 2c. If you want a competent 3c who can play up and down, sign him or trade for him. This is only one trade, def would ve addressed in another.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It absolutely could be negotiating posturing. Probably not...but it could be.

Well going by what Edge had said, IIRC, the two teams hadn't spoken in a day or two. So that could be a shot across the bow to Gorton to say, "Now you really have to blow my doors off" or a spiteful declaration because Gorton abandoned talks and moved in another direction because he felt Adams was wasting his time. I hardly think that means Eichel will remain a Sabre indefinitely, but I don't know how you walk back from that two or three days later when a deal goes down.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
No. I can't see it.

But it still makes no sense. Why would you let Strome go for free? Even if they made that trade, qualify him and trade him.
Maybe they’re hoping to deal him at the draft so they don’t have to worry about the chance that he accepts the qualifying offer right away? Idk your right though it makes little sense.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I think i might have created the perfect nyr scenario->
Year 2020- Nyr- patrik Laine
Win- strome, 22nd overall,matthew robertson, andersson
Year 2021- Buff- laine and mika zibanejad
Nyr- eichel
Gets a year of Laine and zibanejad, then you get chytil to step up to 2c. If you want a competent 3c who can play up and down, sign him or trade for him. This is only one trade, def would ve addressed in another.

Why would the Rangers want Laine?

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Highly doubtful.

Herman's tweet implied that it was part of Buffalo's ask, but it wouldn't even be entertained by Gorton and Davidson. I can see just about any player save for Panarin, Zibanejad, Fox, or Lafreniere in play for Eichel. Those are the untouchables. Anyone else is and should be fair game.

Either way, I'd wager the actual return, should a deal take place, would be a lot more meager than anyone would expect. Historically, two top 6 forwards, top 4 defensemen, or one of each, plus one or two 1sts is the going rate.

DeAngelo, Chytil, two 1sts, and Andersson for Eichel and Jake McCabe. That's my final answer for if a trade goes down, that's going to be it.

Reactions: NYRangers16

MrPodz

Aug 16, 2019
For the talks with buff, buff might say hey we want laine but you dont have him. We paid the bonus this year so were not moving eichel. We would like zibanejad yada yada

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
383153bae2fcfd8a1bf7ae8f146fb5e36cd4c040.jpg

How it has felt waiting all day for something to happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad