Confirmed with Link: Trade with the Washington Capitals, Beck Malenstyn for 2nd round (#43)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
This isn’t capturing the role he played at all. Guy was playing probably among the toughest defensive matchup role of any forward in the NHL. He’s a very strong defensive addition.
According to the card, he had only slightly above average match ups among forwards. WAR also takes competition into account.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Does WAR take into account the fact that he started 90% of his shifts in the defensive zone? (honest question, I have no idea)
I don't know either.

I'm open to the fact that there's additional context that explains the stats. I didn't present the stats as if they were the whole story.

That doesn't change the fact that he doesn't have a track record of positive results at this level though . Same as saying Levi shouldn't be relied on last year because he did not have that track record yet. I just would have preferred spending a 2nd on a guy who looked good by eye and metrics for more than a year.

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Sooo…I didn’t realize his 21 points was more than tanner jeannot scored last year and the year before. I know tanner has 24g once but … hmmm that is interesting,

LA fans don’t seem to happy with their acquisition from the few pages I read. Not saying we should throw a parade but I’d prob rather have this possibly ascending player than the alternative

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I don't believe there are any publicly available statistics which give WAR based upon match ups or deployment. I suspect some teams have developed ones in house which do.

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
I really can’t find a comparable player to
him last year other than his direct linemates.

Maybe Casey cizikas, but he had 29% o-zone starts which obviously was higher than Beck (9%)

For his o-zone starts, Beck putting up 21 ES points is absolutely shocking. Add in his physical chops, his speed, and I see why we
Overpaid slightly for him. I think he has upside. I remember when Goodrow was brought in to Tampa from San Jose for a 1st rounder. He was crucial to their cup win.
You get him locked down to a 3 or 4 year deal, and hope he can maybe reach that Nick Paul leve. At worst, he is a prime 4th line guy to plug in for the next few years

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think it looks good considering what I read about him. Very fast and very physical and all of these Jfresh metrics unfortunately don't reflect his true value due to his massive number of starts in the DZone. I like this move. Devils traded Holtz + Akira for Cotter + 3rd so physical guys like that are valuable in the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jacob582

Jage

Oct 29, 2022
Adams trades a second for a fourth line player who hits, speed, great defense, pks, with some offensive upside - “adams is a joke he is stupid this team sucks”

"Kevyn Adams, do something! The worst GM in this millenia, do something!

"Don't do that! Idiot! Truly the worst GM"

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I think it looks good considering what I read about him. Very fast and very physical and all of these Jfresh metrics unfortunately don't reflect his true value due to his massive number of starts in the DZone. I like this move. Devils traded Holtz + Akira for Cotter + 3rd Holtz and Akira so physical guys like that are valuable in the league.
We could of had Cotter instead for Quinn and Levi !

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
We could of had Cotter instead for Quinn and Levi !
Well, I'm not sure they're equal players. Quinn definitely seems like a better player than Holtz. Does Holtz have some kind of skating issues or something at the NHL level? Akira is 24 and Levi seems more promising for me.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Well, I'm not sure they're equal players. Quinn definitely seems like a better player than Holtz. Does Holtz have some kind of skating issues or something at the NHL level? Akira is 24 and Levi seems more promising for me.
Holtz suffers from Hossa syndrome, but instead of being allergic to his equipment he's allergic to the defensive zone

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Good choice, but its not enough, he plays at wing or C ?
Get a Top6 guy, and 2 more vets for the bottom6.
Rather sacrifice more picks and prospects than overpay in FA

Reactions: Jacob582

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Yes, Levi is definitively better and while Holtz was drafted right before Quinn, Devils fans have been including him in every trade proposal for a couple years.

Reactions: Fjordy

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Not trying to be a jerk or a naysayer, just passing along interesting info on the player.

Given the responses to the JFresh card saying we should take his metrics with a grain of salt because he played tough minutes, here's the two linemates he played with all year:

Screenshot_20240630_071847_Sheets.jpg
1000005045.jpg

While Malentstyn's EV Defence was very low (25%), his two linemates both measured out very favorably on the same metric.

Hockeyviz also shows very similar results, btw.

Again, not saying the stats are everything, but they do make me question how smart of a pickup this was, if I'm being honest.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Not trying to be a jerk or a naysayer, just passing along interesting info on the player.

Given the responses to the JFresh card saying we should take his metrics with a grain of salt because he played tough minutes, here's the two linemates he played with all year:

View attachment 889872View attachment 889873

While Malentstyn's EV Defence was very low (25%), his two linemates both measured out very favorably on the same metric.

Hockeyviz also shows very similar results, btw.

Again, not saying the stats are everything, but they do make me question how smart of a pickup this was, if I'm being honest.

There was a post maybe a few pages back that may kind of explain the reasons for this

Page 11

Reactions: Fjordy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad