Player Discussion Shane Pinto (C) - PART 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Canucks fan in peace! I have both Norris and Pinto in my keeper league and was wondering if I should consider dealing one of the two? And if I do deal one, who has the higher upside? I don’t know much about either player other than the basics, and they seem to have very similar stats in very similar games played (of course, injury vs suspension for that lol)

Cheers!
Definitely deal Norris, his injuries are significant and might derail the rest of his career even if he returns, unlikely will reach his pre-injury ceiling. Keep Pinto out of the two.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Ottawa Senators president and general manager Steve Staios shut down a rumour Monday that centre Shane Pinto has requested trade.

Pinto is once again a restricted free agent this summer after going into the season unsigned last fall before he was handed a 41-game suspension for violating the NHL's gambling policy. He signed a one-year, $775,000 deal to resume playing as soon as the suspension ended, finishing the season with nine goals and 27 points in 41 games.

“I was made aware of something that was out there, that has been refuted now, but the negotiations continue to move on,” Staios said. “Sometimes these things take time, but Shane knows what we think of him, and we’ll continue to work at it.

“He didn’t ask for a trade.”

Bruce Garrioch of Postmedia reported last month the Boston Bruins asked about Pinto's availability as the two teams worked towards a Linus Ullmark trade, but were told he was not available. Garrioch now adds(opens in a new tab) that contract talks are currently at an impasse, with Pinto's agent looking for an offer sheet which the Senators would match.

The 23-year-old forward broke out in 2022-23, his first full season in the league, with 20 goals and 35 points in 82 games. He has 30 goals and 70 points in 140 career games with Ottawa.

The Franklin Square, NY native was selected 32nd overall by the Senators in the 2019 draft.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
i feel like it's a pretty strange move on the part of Gross given how last year went for Pinto, and how his career has progressed to this point.

At this stage I think you can confidently say Pinto is a 3rd line player. Still lots of potential to be a top 6 guy but he has not reached that level consistently. He's also young. I don't think he has the status to be a contract holdout expecting 5-6 mill+. In my opinion, he's a guy who has a lot to prove to the organization and quite frankly, himself.

The stuff being leaked to the media isn't helping anyone.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
What do we think pinto is moving forward? 50 point 2-way center?
I think he's got potential to be a 60+ point player.

He had 27 points in 41 games last year, which would be 54 point pace in a fullseason. Small sample size sure, but that was with him missing training camp+ the team being garbage in general. After a full summer of training+new coaching, he could explode.

Reactions: DrEasy and Dionysus

sena

Jul 3, 2024
I think he's got potential to be a 60+ point player.

He had 27 points in 41 games last year, which would be 54 point pace in a fullseason. Small sample size sure, but that was with him missing training camp+ the team being garbage in general. After a full summer of training+new coaching, he could explode.

I hope your right, the Sens play nothing games against back up goalies and he got a lot of icetime . He needs to break out soon he will be 24 this year, he isn't young in pro sports terms and his TOI might be going down not up

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I hope we played it well. His agent went out searching for an offer sheet, we weren't too smug about it but said "sure, go ask around" and then reality hit Pinto's agent. Once Pinto gets a really good full season under his belt, I'm willing to think about a longterm commitment. But I want to see that full season.

We've gambled a lot. Some of them I liked right from the start like Stutzle, others less so like Norris because of the injuries and my feeling we've already seen his best season.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I would’ve locked him up long-term but I understand the questions about how much offense he’ll produce.

I think a big thing will be his PP usage anyway. If he doesn’t get put on PP1 it’s going to be difficult for him to produce a ton. I would assume PP1 is going to be Sanderson, Batherson, Stützle, Tkachuk and Norris but who knows, when Pinto came back last year they tried him in Norris’ spot before eventually settling on Chychrun.

sena

Jul 3, 2024
I hope we played it well. His agent went out searching for an offer sheet, we weren't too smug about it but said "sure, go ask around" and then reality hit Pinto's agent. Once Pinto gets a really good full season under his belt, I'm willing to think about a longterm commitment. But I want to see that full season.

We've gambled a lot. Some of them I liked right from the start like Stutzle, others less so like Norris because of the injuries and my feeling we've already seen his best season.
Depends if Norris can stay healthy or not, He is a pure shooter that could not even practice shooting the puck for a long long time.
That being said he has as many goals as Pinto has points in the NHL, Norris could rebound he did look faster this year before he hit the post.

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Depends if Norris can stay healthy or not, He is a pure shooter that could not even practice shooting the puck for a long long time.
That being said he has as many goals as Pinto has points in the NHL, Norris could rebound he did look faster this year before he hit the post.

Norris' lack of playmaking skills make him somewhat of a liability on the PP. He can shoot it, but otherwise kills a lot of possessions with a bad pass or skating himself into a bad spot and losing the puck to an aggressive PK.

If he is fully recovered his shot is a real weapon though.

Pinto is no great playmaker either, but playing the bumper he can make some nice touches and shoot it. Stronger at winning pucks on the boards as well. Both seem like better PP2 options, but could find the right fit on the top unit.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I think is not going long term was more about our cap situation. We don't even have a bottom pair yet, and once you fill out our roster with 23 players, we only have about 1M-2M left.

The rumored number was 5M but I would guess that is something like 5x5 and not 7-8 seasons.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This team needs both a healthy Pinto & Norris, they are two similar kinds of players with top six skill sets. Pinto is bigger & can match up against big centres because he is so good defensively & has a great shot from the circles. Norris also has a great shot from the circles & equally a very good two hundred foot player who can defend against the better smaller centres & both are good at faceoffs. Injuries have affected both, but if we can get through a season with both staying healthy they will both help this team be a playoff team. If we need more skill in the top six than these two are exactly the kind of players we have to hang on to who improve the team.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Norris' lack of playmaking skills make him somewhat of a liability on the PP. He can shoot it, but otherwise kills a lot of possessions with a bad pass or skating himself into a bad spot and losing the puck to an aggressive PK.

If he is fully recovered his shot is a real weapon though.

Pinto is no great playmaker either, but playing the bumper he can make some nice touches and shoot it. Stronger at winning pucks on the boards as well. Both seem like better PP2 options, but could find the right fit on the top unit.
If Norris isn't scoring on his shot he helps very little. Hopefully he is healthy coming back and he trusts his shoulder.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I hope your right, the Sens play nothing games against back up goalies and he got a lot of icetime . He needs to break out soon he will be 24 this year, he isn't young in pro sports terms and his TOI might be going down not up
He has only played 140 pro games. He is very young in his development cycle. His TOI is only going to increase he is one of the only forwards on this team that will likely play PP and PK.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I wonder if he'd have gotten into any trouble had he just used a VPN to make the best himself in his home state rather than getting a friend to do it for him...
access via the vpn would still use his account... I doubt they were sniffing network traffic for data

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
access via the vpn would still use his account... I doubt they were sniffing network traffic for data
My assumption is that the US state betting sites won't allow you to log on from out of state, and the idea was use the VPN not to disguise it was him, but just to allow him to make the bet himself rather than us a proxy, since from his comments it's the illegality of proxy betting that was at issue, not the fact that he was betting.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the situation, I've never really been into online gambling so I really don't know the finer details.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
My assumption is that the US state betting sites won't allow you to log on from out of state, and the idea was use the VPN not to disguise it was him, but just to allow him to make the best himself rather than us a proxy, since from his comments it's the illegality of proxy betting that was at issue, not the fact that he was betting.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the situation, I've never really been into online gambling so I really don't know the finer details.
If the issue was his location he can change that with a VPN. Pretty vague for me now.. and I am not looking it up. I just immediately suspected the account but I think there was more to it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad