Confirmed with Link: Trade with the Washington Capitals, Beck Malenstyn for 2nd round (#43)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Ruff has always had a high energy hitting bottom 6 player. I was wondering who it was going to be.

Ruff knows what he wants/needs. That’s why you hire a coach that’s built playoff teams before.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
No. We're like boomers who spent years working and accumulating assets. We can spend freely now knowing that we are set with futures wealth.

We can splurge on a Norwegian cruise or a top-end 4th liner who might have a shot at being our Dakota Joshua. It's not really about the price anymore. Throw it in the bag.
In this economy?

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Really like the deal. Would of preferred a third as the price but at this point I don't care. I also haven't wanted to be in on any of the other deals that have been done either today. Maybe Sergachev but that would be steep for a second pairing guy and would Tampa even do it in conference let alone in division.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
No. Hoarding futures assets because of value, return on investment, or not making moves because it would be bad value is silly. We aren’t saving prospects for retirement. We don’t care if the player drafted has more value than the acquired player in 2029.

They need to build a winning team now. Now worry about the ROI in 5 years
Yeah, that’s how I build my house. I’ll pay high end costs for garbage construction because it’ll still resemble a house at the end of the day, even if it falls apart within a year.

Maybe it’s hitting him finally that he needs to worry about the current state of the team.

Spend the money, can’t take it with ya!
Let’s be honest, he cares more about suckling from the teet and coming up with excuses to kick the can than he cares about building a winner.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Yeah, that’s how I build my house. I’ll pay high end costs for garbage construction because it’ll still resemble a house at the end of the day, even if it falls apart within a year.

A sports team isn’t a house or your retirement account. If you have a problem with a team overpaying for an asset (granted, not even giving up any premium futures assets) that they believe will make them better now, then sing it loud!

PunchImlach is Alive

Jul 15, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Fits a need but clearly an overpay on value under a different lens. I think the writing is on the wall. Kevyn definitely shoulders some blame but people just don't want to play for a perpetual bottom feeder in a small and shrinking market. At this point, every route is going to be an overpay in a smaller talent pool whether it is by trade or free agency. That's just the reality of the situation. X team may be able to acquire Y player for Z value but do they fit the descriptor of "perpetual bottom feeder in a small and shrinking market" like this team does? This is setting a new bar for worst of the worst.

Given this team has done virtually nothing thus far to significantly improve on-ice since trading Mitts, I'm not sure where I'm supposed to find the confidence that KA sees this as a team competing for a playoff spot next season. It will be good to get a little more defensive stability in the bottom 6 but being the sole move on the board thus far isn't less about the player and more of an indictment on management. Hope this is a complementary move.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Terrible value. The player would have been fine for a 4th but a 2nd is outrageous. Adams leaves no confidence he knows what he’s doing.
Tanner Jeannot - 2nd + 4th
Brandon Duhaime - 3rd
Yakov Trenin - 3rd

Recent trades for similar players.

So he's probably worth a 3rd?? Giving a 2nd for a guy that's worth a 3rd doesn't seem like a big deal at all.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
A sports team isn’t a house or your retirement account. If you have a problem with a team overpaying for an asset (granted, not even giving up any premium futures assets) that they believe will make them better now, then sing it loud!
If any analogy should be made it should be about finance/investments. Paying a premium for something you want/need now is something that is sometimes preferable or even necessary versus the alternatives. It's not a problem in moderation. It's not as if the Sabres have been mortgaging their future. They can easily afford to burn the difference between a 2nd and 3rd/4th type value.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
If any analogy should be made it should be about finance/investments. Paying a premium for something you want/need now is something that is sometimes preferable or even necessary versus the alternatives. It's not a problem in moderation. It's not as if the Sabres have been mortgaging their future. They can easily afford to burn the difference between a 2nd and 3rd/4th type value.
I could buy a push mower for 500 or a rider for 1500. If I have the extra scratch, why not spend a little more for a better experience.

Kalopsia

Sponsor
Jun 25, 2018
yikes
cachedimage-png.889302

Hi, Caps fan here! Not gonna try to convince you guys this was good value, but just wanted to chime in on the models that hate Beck. I wrote a post on the Caps board about a month ago about why that is and why they're wrong, so I'll post that here in case anyone's interested.
Tangent from the Beck Malenstyn stuff - Beck is a textbook example of why with/without models are flawed. The RMNB article gives this player card from Evolving Hockey which evaluates him as a bad offensive player and an atrocious defender.

evolving-hockey-malenstyn.jpg

At the same time, it rates Dowd and NAK as both being average offensively and elite (90+) defensively. It thinks Beck was the passenger on that line, but in reality Beck was the player that defined the shutdown line. You can see through Natural Stat Trick's Line Stats tool that when that line was together, they got 7.65% OZ Faceoffs. So what happens when they break up?

• NAK solo: 53.1%
  • Dowd solo: 35.7%
  • NAK+Dowd without Beck: 35.3%
  • Beck solo: 20.4%
For some league-wide context, if Malenstyn had 20.4% for the season that would drop his rank amongst forwards from 1/771 to 8/771, min 100 minutes played - still 1st percentile for hardest deployments.

What does a with/without model see in this context? Well when Dowd and NAK play away Beck they get significantly easier deployments with more skilled teammates, so their numbers improve away from him. Meanwhile, when Beck's away from Dowd and NAK he's being asked to play the same shutdown role, but now with teammates who aren't as well suited to it, so those teammates who are normally being sheltered by Beck's line see their numbers plummet. The model interprets this as Beck being a drag on all the players around him, so it gives him low scores.

This is the fundamental issue with these kinds of models. They'll always underrate players who consistently get tough, defensively-focused deployments, and they'll always overrate players who consistently easy, offensively-focused deployments. Hence why these models always seem to love the sheltered third pairing offensive defenseman or the speedy young winger the coach doesn't trust in his own zone and hate the steady, D-first guys that coaches lean on. I think there's some value to these models for the guys in the middle, but it inherently can't handle the edge cases.

Terrible value. The player would have been fine for a 4th but a 2nd is outrageous. Adams leaves no confidence he knows what he’s doing.
There's no way the Caps would've traded Beck for a 4th. This wasn't a guy they were shopping, no Caps fans expected him to be moved, and they don't have anyone in the system waiting in the wings to fill the same role. The Caps this past year had a top 9 with nothing but defensively irresponsible centers, so they leaned on their "4th" line to handle the entire defensive load. In practice, the "4th" line was 2nd or 3rd in ice time every night. That line flew under the radar of national attention because the only thing anyone watches the Caps for nowadays is Ovie, but they dragged the Caps to the playoffs, and based on the moves the Caps have made so far they were banking on it doing the same thing again this year.

This trade only happened because the Sabres wowed the Caps with an offer for a guy they didn't want to move. I guarantee you a "fair value" offer of a 4th or even a 3rd would not have been enough for the Caps to say yes.
So is it:

Malen-STINE
Malen-STEEN
Malen-STIN
The first one.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Hi, Caps fan here! Not gonna try to convince you guys this was good value, but just wanted to chime in on the models that hate Beck. I wrote a post on the Caps board about a month ago about why that is and why they're wrong, so I'll post that here in case anyone's interested.

There's no way the Caps would've traded Beck for a 4th. This wasn't a guy they were shopping, no Caps fans expected him to be moved, and they don't have anyone in the system waiting in the wings to fill the same role. The Caps this past year had a top 9 with nothing but defensively irresponsible centers, so they leaned on their "4th" line to handle the entire defensive load. In practice, the "4th" line was 2nd or 3rd in ice time every night. That line flew under the radar of national attention because the only thing anyone watches the Caps for nowadays is Ovie, but they dragged the Caps to the playoffs, and based on the moves the Caps have made so far they were banking on it doing the same thing again this year.

This trade only happened because the Sabres wowed the Caps with an offer for a guy they didn't want to move. I guarantee you a "fair value" offer of a 4th or even a 3rd would not have been enough for the Caps to say yes.

The first one.
Thank you for the insight! He should be a staple on our 4th line for years to come.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

The first one.

Thank you for all this! 👍

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm hoping this is true. My only hesitation is that he's an RFA and was playing for a contract last season. Buffalo has a habit of taking the intensity out of players lately, so that and a new contract...I just hope it doesn't mute his energy.
Shouldn’t be an issue at all with BM. He’s been a fan and locker room favorite for his intensity and motor since his Hershey days. He’s a very “put on your boots and bring your lunch pail to work every day,” kind of guy.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

The first one.

Thank you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad