RD EJ Emery - USNTDP, USHL (2024, 30th, NYR)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Cool. I'm totally fine with picking Emery. Had him at 30, and we pick him 30.

My only thing is that we tend to go for whoever is considered BPA by the team at the time instead of filling our holes. We haven't used a first round pick on a center or LHD in how long? I feel like at a certain point BPA stops actually helping you value-wise because the way value works in the NHL isn't the way it works in a video game. Teams aren't going to intentionally help you out. Player value diminishes when you overcook players too much. It also becomes hard to fill your real holes. I'm not sure where the next generation of Ranger Centers and LHD are because I don't see it from the 2020-2024 drafts. Certainly not a top 6 or top 4 guy. Maybe there's a depth guy thrown in there somewhere, but the team is going to have major work to do there eventually.

Anyway, I almost wonder if this is slight Schneider insurance. Of course Trouba is gonna be a goner soon (whether they complete this trade now or it's in two seasons), so there's gonna be a third RHD spot open. But now that we're gonna be entrusting Schneider with a bigger role, he needs to step up and show he's capable of it. We think he is, but he's not like a Fox or Makar obvious top 4 talent. He'll get that chance the next few years, and if he stumbles then Emery will be there to get his crack at it. And if Schneider can, we potentially have three good right shot defensemen.

I tend to think that Fox should be playing more, not less, and our RHD depth probably like our Goaltender depth is literally the least of the concerns with building out the team, but anyway we are absolutely set at RHD now. How we're going to replace Trouba is addressed by this pick, and I also think there is real upside for Emery to maybe find some offense and be a top pairing guy. I'm not overly optimistic about it, but it's a possibility. And I think he's a relatively safe bet to play NHL games. I think there are elements of Schneider and Miller thrown in there with Emery. He has the length, stride, lankiness of Miller, and the outlets, height, and general RHD profile of Schneider (athletic DFD that isn't going to kill you with the puck).

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Literally just read in the past few hours that some injury was disclosed at the combine which didn't hurt his performance but did scare some teams off of him, which is why he dropped to 30... But now for the life of me can't find the source. Maybe EP?

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Literally just read in the past few hours that some injury was disclosed at the combine which didn't hurt his performance but did scare some teams off of him, which is why he dropped to 30... But now for the life of me can't find the source. Maybe EP?
Yeah, I just read the same thing from the Eliteprospects.

"According to multiple sources, teams that had Emery higher on their rankings passed on the defender after learning about a medical issue at the draft combine in Buffalo. It should be noted that the medical condition didn’t stop Emery from performing well at the combine or continuing his offseason training program.

Teams wouldn’t classify it as career-altering, but it did turn Emery into more of a risk as a first-round pick.

In fact, one team told EP that they would have taken Emery in the second round but couldn’t justify the pick in the first round after the revelation at the combine."

Why did EJ Emery fall to No. 30? What we heard and learned at the 2024 NHL Draft (+)

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
. How we're going to replace Trouba is addressed by this pick, and I also think there is real upside for Emery to maybe find some offense and be a top pairing guy. I'm not overly optimistic about it, but it's a possibility.
In no world do I see Emery as a top pairing guy in the NHL. K'Andre has more offensive ability since he played forward for most of his career and K'Andre is a borderline 2nd pairing D who brings very little offense.

They are both similar style defensemen and I'd argue both lack the acceleration (first 3 steps) to ever compete against top line players in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad