Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXIII - As the bell tolls, who will stay who will go?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
I think if the right deal came along the Rangers wouldn't hold it up just because they want to hang on to Georgiev

Like if a package for something they wanted hinged on them including Georgiev, I think they pull the trigger on the trade and then figure out the backup situation later.

Agreed. We hold his rights. No need to deal a young future starter for junk.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It obviously sounds in poor taste given the recent extension, but I think maybe the only way to make Eichel work long term would be to move out Chris Kreider- if not in the deal than in a separate one.

This is assuming the Larry Brooks thing about 'Trouba would need to be in the deal" was bunk, as i suspect it was.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I know the OP in this thread said that something could go down today but try and think about the big picture. Both of the key teams asking about DeAngelo (Calgary and Vegas) are also in on Pietrangelo. So it's plausible, if not likely, that any big trade the Rangers make doesn't happen until later this week. The only wrinkle is Strome as it certainly appears from the outside that whatever is going on is making the Rangers unsure of qualifying him.

And as it has been stated many times so far: Big deals are very hard to make. Especially in a flat cap with revenues down. The team could be inches away on several trades only to see them all fall apart at the last instant.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
1 day away from Lafreniere. it's crazy. i think i'm gonna have to pour a drink.

Edit: for the post above....it is unreal how many in the know-ish posters share tidbits. It makes the board and I am grateful to all of them. No need to call em out, they know who they are, but just a thanks from this old man.

Agreed! A lotta respect there.

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
did i get deleted? looks like i might have, apologize if broke a rule. not my intention, ever.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
I know the OP in this thread said that something could go down today but try and think about the big picture. Both of the key teams asking about DeAngelo (Calgary and Vegas) are also in on Pietrangelo. So it's plausible, if not likely, that any big trade the Rangers make doesn't happen until later this week. The only wrinkle is Strome as it certainly appears from the outside that whatever is going on is making the Rangers unsure of qualifying him.

And as it has been stated many times so far: Big deals are very hard to make. Especially in a flat cap with revenues down. The team could be inches away on several trades only to see them all fall apart at the last instant.
I am not disagreeing. Just saying that 85% figure got me paying more attention than usual today. Not shading anyone whatsoever.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The Strome situation is just weird to me.

Like even if you're going to move him, why wait out a QO for this long?

Literally the only thing I can think of is....

1) Management is looking at a big deal that will add salary.
2) Strome isn't necessarily in the return of that trade
3) Management is worried that if they add salary, Strome might get an award just below the walk-away line, but high enough to cause cap problems, and also make him challenging to trade in a league that would then know NYR were cap strapped.
4) Management would like to have the option to not pay Strome IF that big deal goes down and they cant find a taker for him before the qualification deadline.

So all that considered, I think that if you don't see A) Strome dealt by tomorrow or B) That big salary addition trade by tomorrow, then tye will qualify him.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
did i get deleted? looks like i might have, apologize if broke a rule. not my intention, ever.

If you're posting rumor info either from an unverified source or if you have info but aren't vetted through the boards mods then they'll delete the post
otherwise too much random garbage made up rumors get posted

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Guys, Eichel was never about now. Not until he asks out, another year of playing on a bad team and it's not a "maybe" it's a "definitely." He knows the Rangers want him now. He knows he could have an opportunity to play for his old college coach again. The foundation has been laid. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he asked out mid season next year. There is 0% chance the Sabres are a playoff team next playoffs.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
We have 23 million in space.

The hell would we need the extra space for?

If they just decided to sign all their RFA's and bring in a few UFAs to fill out the LD and depth then they'd use up most of that. Plus JD has mentioned they don't want to be right up against the cap because they're leaving room for contract bonuses

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
If you're posting rumor info either from an unverified source or if you have info but aren't vetted through the boards mods then they'll delete the post
otherwise too much random garbage made up rumors get posted

Thanks, I'm not in the know and don't post rumors here. Agree with that rule.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Sounds like talks with Buffalo went south. Probably couldnt find common ground.

And thats ok. Again there are only a handful of teams that can make this happen and have the assets to satisfy them. And again that is without including Kakko or Lafreniere. Revisit this next year. And/or move onto Calgary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad