Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
Anyone else find it odd that he has the number 42 while Smith is also listed at 42? Pending buyout or trade?
I did at first, but I'm pretty sure they just grabbed his info from the Canes page. Trouba was copied over with his #8 even though that hasn't been officially announced (or even signed yet).

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
I’ve always liked Kreider - and always thought there was more to get from him. His combination of strength/speed is world class. He also seems like a pretty unique dude. I’m sentimental for 20 - but I see the writing on the wall, and perhaps it’s for the best.

Coming out of the 2012-14 success, we had a void. Zucc was a warrior, but never a top flight forward. He did far more than we could ask. Both Brassard and Stepan fall into a similar category. Would either college FA signing (Hayes and Vesey) move the needle? Hayes obviously did emerge - by year 3, Vesey was not as advertised. The winter classic roommate access was fun to see, and that’s about the peak for them. I’ve recently spoken about commonalities between first round NYR picks JT Miller, Kreider, and Skjei....

Anyway, as I continue to make sense of the rather 2B tier caliber of player we were trying to push into more prominent roles, this roster/lineup/system is an entirely new world level. Will this team find chemistry? How long will it take to get a handle of real expectation?

Trying to remain seated, 2020 could be special.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Okay how about this:

Trades:

Kreider for Kaut + COL 2nd '21 + TOR 3rd '20

Namestnikov ($1m retained) for EDM 2nd '20 + EDM 3rd '21

Buyout:
Smith

Line-up:

Panarin-Zibanejad-Kakko
Buchneich-Chytil-Kravtsov
Andersson-Strome-Lemieux
McKegg/Nieves-Howden-Fast
McKegg/Nieves

Skjei-Trouba
Staal-ADA
Rykov-Shattenkirk

Hank
Georgiev

Total cap hit: $80,193,966

This would seem to be actually possible...

Reactions: Alluckks and Cag29

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Still no idea what Kaut does for the Rangers, and even less idea why the Avalanche are giving up on him for a rental.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Still no idea what Kaut does for the Rangers, and even less idea why the Avalanche are giving up on him for a rental.
I think the Avalanche want to make a push this year imo. I think Sakic wants this group, especially with Mackinnon to take the next step.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
4 more years of Mackinnon. At what point do they really start to push? Do they wait another year or two and then try to maximize his last two seasons? There is a very strong chance he is going to free agency to cash in at age 27

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Assuming Krieds gets traded and we buy out Smith, i’d Like:

Pan Ziba Kakko
Lemmy Chytil Krat/Buch
Lias/Names Howton Buch/Krat
Lias/Names Strome Fast
13th - open competition

Skjei Trouba
Hajek ADA
Staal Fox
Rykov Shatty

Hopefully someone takes Shatty at half but I think we have 4 gooD lines no matter the shuffle

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I would assume that if Colorado is still interested in Kreider the centerpiece is more around their 2020 1st and not Kaut. Kaut isnt that exciting for the Rangers with all the young wingers at the moment and the Avs are probably more interested in keeping their young guy who can help contribute to the current team in the next year or two.

Random question. Can you put protections on a 1st rounder in a trade for the bottom of the draft like you can for the top? So if a team wants to trade a 1st but only if its top 5 protected can the Rangers turn back around and say fine, but only if its also bottom 5 protected as well? I cant think of a reason why not but I can't remember it ever happening.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think the Avalanche want to make a push this year imo. I think Sakic wants this group, especially with Mackinnon to take the next step.
Right, but the Rangers were in dialogue with Colorado over Kreider around the draft, and they couldn't find a deal. I find it hard to believe Kaut's name didn't come up. Sakic is stingy, he isn't going to give Kaut away. Colorado's window just opened. They have time.

Also who is Kaut bumping out of the Rangers top six? Is there room for him? If you are clearing out player(s) to make room for him, you are likely trading away a player better than Kaut to do so.

I don't think it works

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I'm hoping that chytil, andersson and howden all spend a good amount of time this summer with prentiss...I think adding strength as they grow into men will go a long way in them potentially taking the next step
Not sure if anyone was listening to NHL XM yesterday eve but Vallycat was on and talking about how hard work in the off-season is an ABSOLUTE MUST for an NHL player. How Crosby works his ass off and it shows. So even the most talented in the league put in extra effort. He said “It drives me CRAZY when I see a kid with no intensity on the ice and who won’t work for it. You can tell who worked and who didn’t in the off-season and the ones that do will take big steps forward and the ones who don’t, stagnate”

Kinda makes Smith look like an asshat after hitting the open bar & buffet at weddings all summer after cashing in.

Hope the kids learn from someone else what it takes to make strides forward.

Reactions: Cag29 and Leetch3

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Right, but the Rangers were in dialogue with Colorado over Kreider around the draft, and they couldn't find a deal. I find it hard to believe Kaut's name didn't come up. Sakic is stingy, he isn't going to give Kaut away. Colorado's window just opened. They have time.

Also who is Kaut bumping out of the Rangers top six? Is there room for him? If you are clearing out player(s) to make room for him, you are likely trading away a player better than Kaut to do so.

I don't think it works
Well I think Kaut would take Kreider’s spot in the top 6.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA

I don't think it works
Why does Kaut need to bump someone out of the top 6 right away? The trade wouldn't be with designs of a benefit this one year. By moving an expiring contract for an asset, we clear needed cap space. Plus, we have other expiring wings in Names, Fast, and potentially Strome that he could replace the following season.

Look at our prospect ranking poll - only 3 Fs in the system in our top 10 and a fairly steep drop off after them. All 3 of which could graduate this year too. Replenishing some depth is fine for a year or two down the line when we need ELCs as KK, VK, FC, etc need their second contracts.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
The forward group is going to be extremely exciting to watch but has several question marks going in:
  • Who is the 2C? Strome i guess could be the stopgap but I'm not a fan of it (biggest Q imo).
  • How do Kaako and Kravstov adjust?
  • Do Chytil and Andersson take the next steps in their development?
  • Does Zbad regress?

I think Kreider and Names are moved to free up cap space.

Ideally you have something like (if your able to find a quality 2C):

Panarin - Zbad- Kaako
Kravtsov - XXXX - Buch
Lemieux - Howden - Chytil
Andersson - Strome - Fast
Nieves/McKegg

A lot of youth, and not much grit... just don’t want to see these guys get pushed around especially as the games get tighter late in the year. It’s also probably wise to break up that top line a bit.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Russian Collusion

Jul 1, 2016
The more I think about it, the more Names is the real important piece next season. He’s the only one of our “expendable” players that is a Swiss Army knife that can slot in anywhere in the lineup in the event of poor performance or injury. I know we are pumped about the youth on this team but at some point they are going to hit a wall.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Come Home Bri Brows Come Home.

This is the only other addition I ask for this offseason.

Trade Namestnikov.

Trade Smith with a draft pick attached to a cap floor team.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I get the impression we are held up on everything until at a bare minimum Kreider or Namestnikov are moved out with out much salary coming back. For one thing, signing one of Buchnevich or Trouba does expose an offersheet risk. Signing trouba and letteri eliminates a chance at the second buyout window, so barring a trade we will shed salary this route.

I think Smith is pegged for Hartford and Shattenkirk is playing while Fox gets his half a season in the A like McDonagh. Maybe he plays up his value getting sheltered by trouba and hopefully with a potent PP. Smith might be bought out if we can land a trade.

I guess there is a chance Staal is bought out and they see how camp goes with Smith and a bunch of rookies. Remote.

I've been saying they should target a center but I have no objection to going with what we have. We have like 5 guys that have a 20% chance of being a top 6 center. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. It's the cheaper option and I like the idea of gambling on Strome with the chance of really increasing his value. He can play with maybe the best forwards of his career, and the almighty contract year is in effect.

Basically, the complete lack of speculation has me thinking Gorton is working the phones hard and the office is under complete media silence.

Reactions: Trxjw

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The more I think about it, the more Names is the real important piece next season. He’s the only one of our “expendable” players that is a Swiss Army knife that can slot in anywhere in the lineup in the event of poor performance or injury. I know we are pumped about the youth on this team but at some point they are going to hit a wall.

He most likely is not going to be on the team.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Why does Kaut need to bump someone out of the top 6 right away? The trade wouldn't be with designs of a benefit this one year. By moving an expiring contract for an asset, we clear needed cap space. Plus, we have other expiring wings in Names, Fast, and potentially Strome that he could replace the following season.

Look at our prospect ranking poll - only 3 Fs in the system in our top 10 and a fairly steep drop off after them. All 3 of which could graduate this year too. Replenishing some depth is fine for a year or two down the line when we need ELCs as KK, VK, FC, etc need their second contracts.
I understand what you are saying, but Kaut is on the same timeline as the players he would have to be bumping. It would be different he he was replacing a veteran but that is not the case. It creates a log jam, especially because none of those guys are bottom 6 player . Kaut will need a 2nd contract when everyone else does. There is no advantage there

Reactions: DutchShamrock

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I get the impression we are held up on everything until at a bare minimum Kreider or Namestnikov are moved out with out much salary coming back. For one thing, signing one of Buchnevich or Trouba does expose an offersheet risk. Signing trouba and letteri eliminates a chance at the second buyout window, so barring a trade we will shed salary this route.

I think Smith is pegged for Hartford and Shattenkirk is playing while Fox gets his half a season in the A like McDonagh. Maybe he plays up his value getting sheltered by trouba and hopefully with a potent PP. Smith might be bought out if we can land a trade.

I guess there is a chance Staal is bought out and they see how camp goes with Smith and a bunch of rookies. Remote.

I've been saying they should target a center but I have no objection to going with what we have. We have like 5 guys that have a 20% chance of being a top 6 center. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. It's the cheaper option and I like the idea of gambling on Strome with the chance of really increasing his value. He can play with maybe the best forwards of his career, and the almighty contract year is in effect.

Basically, the complete lack of speculation has me thinking Gorton is working the phones hard and the office is under complete media silence.
I agree with much of this. And i do think it is very quiet around the league because many teams are trying to work their cap situation out

Reactions: DutchShamrock

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I think Strome is another in this same mold.

Fast, Lemieux and Buchnevich can all play both wing spots. Kravtsov and Kako can as well. Chytil and Andersson can start on the wing but play center. I think Quinn has enough pieces he can move around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad