Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Jimmy+Vesey+Neal+Pionk+Annual+Charity+Day+XlUGKvUe26al.jpg

Two done. One to go.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think we could call it a log-jam or creating depth from which to make other deals from. For example, perhaps Kaut continue to develop and Gorton decides to trade Buchnevich. Or they decide they want to use Chytil as a piece to bring in another type of player at another position.
That is really inefficient. You are basically saying you want to do a bernmeister trade. The time to move Buchnevich was at the draft. Doesn't make sense to do it now. As I said, I think the move is just to get back picks, and then you can use draft assets to shop for a 2C later. There isnt really a player swap that makes sense

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
That is really inefficient. You are basically saying you want to do a bernmeister trade. The time to move Buchnevich was at the draft. Doesn't make sense to do it now. As I said, I think the move is just to get back picks, and then you can use draft assets to shop for a 2C later. There isnt really a player swap that makes sense

The trade of a player like Buchnevich wouldn't need to be right now. Nor would it need to be specifically Buchnevich. It opens up possibilities to move players from a position of depth. The rangers should be targeting the best player they can.

Reactions: mschmidt64

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The trade of a player like Buchnevich wouldn't need to be right now. Nor would it need to be specifically Buchnevich. It opens up possibilities to move players from a position of depth. The rangers should be targeting the best player they can.
You say the Rangers "should be targeting the best player they can" but you are advocating moving Buchnevich to open up a spot for an inferior player . This kind of proves my point . The Rangers don't need to move Buchnevich to have said options.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I feel like Pionk is going to have a long NHL career as a bottom pairing defenseman. The advanced stats folks will continue to rip on him until his 500th nhl game at least.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Neither team does this. No way they make a deal with each other. No way Philly deals Patrick for a 28 year old Kreider, signed or not

This regime hasn't made a trade with Philly, but Sather had no problem doing it. Newbury, Malakhov, Brendl/Hlavac/Johnsson-Lindros, Neil Smith made 2 or 3 minor deals. It's not unprecedented with these two teams.

Patrick was rumored available for Trouba.

Kreider...is on the block and we have not heard one leaked number at all, not even ball park or starting figures which means neither side is interested at this point in a contract...the silence is deafening.

Gorts & Co have shown they are ambivalent to ego when they identify a player they want.

I can't speak to Phillys Management. But they seem to be in the go for it phase of their rebuild. I'm sure they could use Kreider as a supliment to JVR on LW.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
I am not a Larry fan at all but I agree with him wholeheartedly on this one. Defense is improved with Trouba (and I think, or hope rather, playing with him will benefit Brady), but bad vets and rookies still on our backend will be an issue, as well as Henriks decline (again, hopefully Trouba's addition will help there but still). Young players need to find their way, and if all goes well we will have at least 2 rookies in our top 6. We have a ways to go. Much improved for sure, but my prediction is wild card contender for next season.

Reactions: Leetch3

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Kreider and a conditional pick to Philly for Patrick?
The Rangers really like Nolan Patrick, if I recall correctly, but I can't see them making a deal with us (trading a former #2 overall to a division rival is bad optics) and I don't think a 1 year rental Kreider is enough to get it done. They'd want another player and/or high pick to make it happen.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Yeah, but also (i) more turnover/new personnel and (ii) much higher pressure.

So sure, our peaks will be a lot higher. But to do well over 82 games you must run a pretty cynical organization and make sure that you are hard to beat and not give anyway away for free. Our division will definitely be pretty tough.

Like for example, we will be reliant on our top line to score a lot of pts, especially if both Ziba and Panarin is on it. But what if Panarin and Ziba just tries to overcomplicate things and tries to find each other too much early on? I am not sure if they are great fits, these things aren’t easy, it’s like BR and Gabby, they never worked together at all. That can hurt us a lot the first 2-3 weeks of a season. And on the other side we will face very determined teams that won’t give an inch away. Teams that doesn’t have 7-8 new players or whatever. And doesn’t have a bunch of players younger than 21. And so forth.

Knowing the N.Y. media and fans, there will also be a ton of pressure on the team now that the rebuild is over. 2 weeks, bad results, someone will be hanged.

These are professional athletes. Pressure is part of their lives and has been since they were little kids. Talent and effort is all that matters in the end.

Constructing a whole bunch of what-ifs, to me, is a waste of time and thought.

Sit back, enjoy, and count your blessings that the team we root for has gone from boring to exciting in a matter of a few weeks.

Why worry, now? This is the rosiest future that we have had in a long time.

Or you can be one of those who worries that in 3 years cap problems will destroy us all.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
The Rangers really like Nolan Patrick, if I recall correctly, but I can't see them making a deal with us (trading a former #2 overall to a division rival is bad optics) and I don't think a 1 year rental Kreider is enough to get it done. They'd want another player and/or high pick to make it happen.

For a center like Patrick that fills a need.

Kreider + lottery protected 1st

or

Kreider + Lundkvist or Andersson

Could get it done. Painful/Risk for both sides.
Pretty good chance Kreider signs with them given Hayes and proximity to home.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
You say the Rangers "should be targeting the best player they can" but you are advocating moving Buchnevich to open up a spot for an inferior player . This kind of proves my point . The Rangers don't need to move Buchnevich to have said options.

I don't think you are reading my posts correctly.

I am not saying they will move Buchnevich right now. I'm not saying they HAVE to move Buchnevich, it was an example. What I'm saying is having depth allows Gorton to make decisions on players as they are needed. If Kaut and others make Buchnevich expendable, that's a nice trade chip. If Buchnevich becomes a 65 point winger and there is no spot for Kaut, then they use him a trade piece as well.

It's the same reason why if a team offered a very good LD prospector just a good RD prospect I'd still take the very good LD prospect. You cross the bridge of finding spots for everyone as it comes later. That's a good problem to have.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Having a Kaut - Chytil duo is worth it Gorton cmon

Would Kaut be eligible for the expansion draft? he's a RW right?............Buch, Kakko, Strome, Fast.......I play Andersson, Chytil, Howden at C........Kreider, Panarin, Kratsov, Lemiux LW............move Namestnikov for a pick.....Nieves or McKegg can spare.

I think I am leaning Kreider to stay so he will be traded lol

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
For a center like Patrick that fills a need.

Kreider + lottery protected 1st

or

Kreider + Lundkvist or Andersson

Could get it done. Painful/Risk for both sides.
Pretty good chance Kreider signs with them given Hayes and proximity to home.

For me since I believe Anderson is a top flight #3 center in this league that I'd opt for the krieder plus lias for Patrick. I really like lundkvists game and think he will be an excellent #3 defenseman that can do it all. The first round pick coming from a STILL rebuilding team is way to much for me to want to give up for Patrick.

Put me down for krieder + Anderson for Patrick.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
This is brilliant. And could his translator be like his uncle? Some old shady looking guy. Panarin speaks for like 30 seconds, but this guy just say “no” or “yes”.

That would be awesome. Or just a dude that really stretches out yes or no responses.

"No. I did not find that to be the case. It is understandable why someone might thing otherwise, but no I did not find that to be the case."

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
man oh man, kevin hayes would look good as the 2C here right now

hayes here and kreider gone would make this team look pretty dangerous 1-6

bread mika kakko
kravtsov hayes buchnevich

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Anyone be down for something along the lines of
Kreider + Andersson/Howden+ 1st for RNH and Poolparty?

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
A lot of youth, and not much grit... just don’t want to see these guys get pushed around especially as the games get tighter late in the year. It’s also probably wise to break up that top line a bit.
Look at the teams in this years final. We would have been physically destroyed and crushed. Meet grit/toughness.

Reactions: wafflepadsave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad