Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I understand what you are saying, but Kaut is on the same timeline as the players he would have to be bumping. It would be different he he was replacing a veteran but that is not the case. It creates a log jam, especially because none of those guys are bottom 6 player . Kaut will need a 2nd contract when everyone else does. There is no advantage there

I think we could call it a log-jam or creating depth from which to make other deals from. For example, perhaps Kaut continue to develop and Gorton decides to trade Buchnevich. Or they decide they want to use Chytil as a piece to bring in another type of player at another position.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Kaut and a pick would be a great return for Kreider. He's a very good prospect. The Rangers aren't in a position with Kreider, or the rebuild, where they can be laser focused on the position of the player coming back. You still need high end talent in the pipeline. Worry about where Kaut fits when he's actually battling someone for time in the top-9.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
How desperate is Florida right now? They missed out on Panarin. Connolly is a good player but nothing crazy. Kreider's got the size, speed and skill that would probably drive Tallon wild. Could we snag Tippett from them in a trade involving Kreider (with possible additions)? Rangers get a nice futures piece and Florida gets a win-now player that can help them this year and could sign with them going forward. I know Tippett is not a center but he eventually replaces Kreider on the wing at a cheaper price. Not saying any of this is remotely possible just throwing shit at the wall.

Reactions: mschmidt64

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I copied this from the Panarin thread

Our team has a boatload of young (a few potentially elite level talents) and picks. We then go out and sign a top 8 player in the league while giving away NOTHING and people on here complain. I’d love to meet some of you. Holy ****!

This team after this offseason is 1 center away from being a cup competitor. PERIOD. All in 2 years. Stop your *****ing

My only concern is not enough toughness in our top 6 for the playoff war

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
How desperate is Florida right now? They missed out on Panarin. Connolly is a good player but nothing crazy. Kreider's got the size, speed and skill that would probably drive Tallon wild. Could we snag Tippett from them in a trade involving Kreider (with possible additions)? Rangers get a nice futures piece and Florida gets a win-now player that can help them this year and could sign with them going forward. I know Tippett is not a center but he eventually replaces Kreider on the wing at a cheaper price. Not saying any of this is remotely possible just throwing **** at the wall.

I think Tippet is their eventual replacement for Hoffman. Heponiemi is the guy I would key in on there but it might be a stretch to pry him loose. Small player but is a dynamic talent with elite vision and great skating.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think Tippet is their eventual replacement for Hoffman. Heponiemi is the guy I would key in on there but it might be a stretch to pry him loose. Small player but is a dynamic talent with elite vision and great skating.
I'd imagine they'd rather just keep all of those guys and flip Hoffman at the deadline. They have Dadonov up for contract next summer, and I can't imagine they'd let a Kreider extension interfere with retaining him. They can also bump Vatrano or Borgstrom up later in the year if needed.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Our team has a boatload of young (a few potentially elite level talents) and picks. We then go out and sign a top 8 player in the league while giving away NOTHING and people on here complain. I’d love to meet some of you. Holy ****!

This team after this offseason is 1 center away from being a cup competitor. PERIOD. All in 2 years. Stop your *****ing

To be fair, as the Panarin opposition has pointed out, the concern is the path to finding that #1/2 center now that you have invested $81 million in a winger.

Now i was on the side of signing Panarin.

The Rangers will have to either make shrewd moves by using some of their multiple assets and get lucky nabbing a young center on the rise who hasnt negotiated their 2nd contract or cashed in big time yet....OR bank on Zibanejad’s continued progression while winning with an average 2C and elite wingers.

3rd possibility is Chytil takes the next step and becomes an above average center. I dont think Lias becomes that 2C. Maybe a very good 3C. Same with Howden.

Only time will tell now

Reactions: Rongomania

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

It wasn't a good post there. And it's not a good post here.

Reactions: Miamipuck

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

This was not what I was expecting this post to be.

Reactions: Alluckks

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'd imagine they'd rather just keep all of those guys and flip Hoffman at the deadline. They have Dadonov up for contract next summer, and I can't imagine they'd let a Kreider extension interfere with retaining him. They can also bump Vatrano or Borgstrom up later in the year if needed.

I think the Panthers are aiming to be buyers at the deadline. If they're selling then something went very wrong there.

They could add Kreider and flip Pysyk. Hoffman walking next summer probably nets enough space to give Kreider and Dadonov market value on extensions without having to do too much additional maneuvering.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Anyone concerned about not being physical enough didn't watch the way we played last season under Quinn. In fact, as they grow, Lemiuex and Andersson are going to provide that kind of play, while also being positive contributors to the team on offense. Lest we also forget that DeAngelo really gives no f***s while on the ice too. Buch began doing this at the end of the season and he has a bit of snarl to him at times. The more comfortable he got, that side came out more.

I also expect Kakko to become a bully out there, at times we may see it this season, especially against some of the smaller players out there. While we have been getting the high end talent players we have needed in the past, we're not taking all smaller players. We're going to be just fine on the physical side of the game. In fact, there should be a point in time where the team will be able to impose their will on others, but that is down the line when this thing has been constructed for a few seasons.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Anyone concerned about not being physical enough didn't watch the way we played last season under Quinn. In fact, as they grow, Lemiuex and Andersson are going to provide that kind of play, while also being positive contributors to the team on offense. Lest we also forget that DeAngelo really gives no ****s while on the ice too. Buch began doing this at the end of the season and he has a bit of snarl to him at times. The more comfortable he got, that side came out more.

I also expect Kakko to become a bully out there, at times we may see it this season, especially against some of the smaller players out there. While we have been getting the high end talent players we have needed in the past, we're not taking all smaller players. We're going to be just fine on the physical side of the game. In fact, there should be a point in time where the team will be able to impose their will on others, but that is down the line when this thing has been constructed for a few seasons.
I saw the way that they played, but also agree that a few more players that will play the in your face game is needed. You do not need maulers, but the world always needs a few plumbers.

As for Kakko, I think he will use his body but I do not see that he plays physical game that is being discussed. He will certainly not shy away and use his size, but he does not seem to be a player who arrives at the puck in ill humor.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I have a foggy memory of one night when I was officially on the McKegg stand roster.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
so much this...

https://nypost.com/2019/07/02/dont-forget-the-rangers-journey-is-only-beginning/

I think Larry nails it here

Can we tap the brakes, please? Can we stop attempting to define exactly where the Blueshirts are on their path back to the upper echelon of the NHL? Can we have the self-discipline we expect of ownership/management and refrain from putting a timetable on the team’s ETA?

It’s been a nice few months, and the Blueshirts appear to have significantly increased their top-end talent level. You could call Artemi Panarin, Kaapo Kakko, Jacob Trouba and Adam Fox the Four Horsemen of the Summer of ’19. You should be excited. But also realistic.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I wonder what the Hoffman to buffalo return was. Maybe Florida pulled the deal after panarin fell through. Had to be for futures. If kreider isn't blocking that team, it could be an option.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
I think McKeg is going to be on the main roster unless he has an awful camp. We've seen it before but sometimes guys get labelled as AHLers and figure it out at ages 26-29. John Mitchell from 2011-12 for example. PA Parenteau before that.

He'll be the 12th-13th forward.

This team isn't that soft. Kakko is not going to OV people but his game is based on puck protection and cycling. Same with Chytil. Bottom six has guys like Lemieux/Fast/Howden/Anderson. McKeg. Trouba and TDA aren't soft. Yes there's room for more physicality, but it's not a soft group by any means.
Is Mckeg tough?

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think the Panthers are aiming to be buyers at the deadline. If they're selling then something went very wrong there.

They could add Kreider and flip Pysyk. Hoffman walking next summer probably nets enough space to give Kreider and Dadonov market value on extensions without having to do too much additional maneuvering.
They probably will be and should be. If that's the case, I'll agree with you on them keeping Hoffman. I guess the big question is how much will that Dadanov extension be, especially with him coming off of 65 and 70 point seasons. He'll be due a decent chunk of change from the $4M AAV he has now, and I don't think they'll want to invest $14M in him and Kreider for the next 6 years. They still have a few smaller RFA deals to get done that will also eat into next year's cap space for them.

The only teams I can see willing to extend Kreider this summer are BOS and MTL. Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised to see him dealt as a rental to someone like SJS for Gambrell and a 2021 1st. Side note: if we're moving him, we should take advantage of retaining him at 50% to get the max value.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
OTOH, I'm going to miss the biggest troll smile in the league.

Belonging to Neal "Sickest" Pionk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad