Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I did a little survey and figured there are at least 10-12 teams that could really use a scoring left wing short and long term. I’m not sure how many teams are on Kreider’s no fly list but I am sure the Rangers have cross referenced and have a list of targets for a deal. I personally hate to see Kreider leave but after listening to Gorton’s comments and the Panarin signing, there’s not a lot of expectation that he stays.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Eh, I'm not sure I would go that far, but he wasn't a minus player.

Comparatively to some other signings of that era by this team it was a home run... in that he gave them some good play. Did he meet the expectations? No, but he wasn’t awful either. He was a serviceable player at borderline game changer money.

Reactions: Thirty One

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
What’s the roster looking like now?
Team Line Combinations
(mentally) mix and match as you please. no one will really know until opening night.
This website is updated with actual lineups during the regular season but during the offseason, I think it auto sorts the lines or more likely, someone is just manually entering them in.

If Buch isn't in our long term plans, I like Panarin-Zibs-Buch as that will really drive up his price. But then again, wouldn't you all want to keep him then if he was playing really well? If the Rangers can sign him to like a 5-6 year contract at around $3.75-4.25M a season (using a Brett Connolly $3.25M base, Gustav Nyquist high end @ $5.5M, 60 pts and inflated for buying UFA years), then he could turn into a really valuable signing. That 4M range keeps him rather tradeable too in the future.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
You know I hope he never does an interview in English.

Theres something incredibly cool about having the team's highest paid and best player have a translator present at all of his interviews.

It should present a nice press conference dynamic. Kind of like Ichiro with the Mariners

This is brilliant. And could his translator be like his uncle? Some old shady looking guy. Panarin speaks for like 30 seconds, but this guy just say “no” or “yes”.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The NHL and NHLPA will negotiate a new CBA or an extension of the current CBA this summer. Both sides don't have the appetite for another fight. They have been talking for a while. The current cap of $81.5M is part of those discussions. Another flat or small increase in the cap next season.

The NBC TV contract expires after 2020-21. The NHL needs to smooth the new money into the salary cap. The NBA got a crazy TV deal and they proposed "smoothing" to the players association. Instead of having a $20M cap increase in 16-17, have a smaller cap increase than $20M that year and another cap increase in 17-18,etc. They said no. Dumb. It turned to be a $24M increase.

In 2016, new national TV contracts pushed the NBA’s salary cap from $70 million to $94.143 million – a larger jump than over the entire previous decade. Free agents cashed in majorly that summer.

But now, the cap is leveling off. It went up to just $99.093 million last year and is projected to reach only $101 million this year and $108 million next year. With so many lucrative long-term 2016 contracts still on the books, free agents the following few years haven’t gotten and won’t get comparable compensation.

The problem was predictable, and the NBA proposed a solution at the time – cap smoothing.

Many players already under contract in the summer of 2016 have been waiting their turn for a huge payday. But wait until many of them find out their windfall wasn’t just delayed. It’s not coming. Then, some of Roberts’ constituents might question her insistence that rejecting cap smoothing was correct.

Michele Roberts: Cap smoothing was ‘disgraceful request’ by NBA

$24M cap increase in one summer. The NHL won't be that much but it's crazy number where only one group of players benefitted, that's not fair for the rest of the players. Many of those players got overpaid that summer. Teams were forced to spend money to be cap compliant. The NBA floor is 90% of the cap.

Reactions: egelband

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Potential top 6

Absolute givens: Panarin, Mika, Kreider, Butch, Kakko

Potential suitors for that 6th spot

Chytil, Kravtsov, Howden, Strome

Potential bottom 6

Absolute givens:

Lemieux, Lias, Namestnikov, Fast

Potential suitors:

McKegg, Boo, Chytil, Howden, Kravtsov, Strome

Personally, I like out forward group this year. I think, offensively, they surprise alot of people on this board and in the NHL.

Our biggest issue this year is going to be defense. Both the ACTUAL defenders and team defense.

Should be an exciting year.

And my prediction, they start off slow and by the end of the season they are MUCH better.

Reactions: Cag29 and Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Like this?

Anyone know what this guy is doing, he nails the looks part?

upload_2019-7-3_12-23-5.jpeg

Reactions: Cag29 and egelband

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I'm hoping that chytil, andersson and howden all spend a good amount of time this summer with prentiss...I think adding strength as they grow into men will go a long way in them potentially taking the next step

Andersson really is getting criminally underrated around here. If he can take small steps forward in a couple of areas, skating being one of them, those middle 6 C spots are a past due concern.

I still preferred trying to get an elite ELC 1C in 2020, pushing Mika down to 2C or 1B. It’s not impossible that we already have a player that can develop to that level though.

Reactions: Leetch3

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
The forward group is going to be extremely exciting to watch but has several question marks going in:
  • Who is the 2C? Strome i guess could be the stopgap but I'm not a fan of it (biggest Q imo).
  • How do Kaako and Kravstov adjust?
  • Do Chytil and Andersson take the next steps in their development?
  • Does Zbad regress?

I think Kreider and Names are moved to free up cap space.

Ideally you have something like (if your able to find a quality 2C):

Panarin - Zbad- Kaako
Kravtsov - XXXX - Buch
Lemieux - Howden - Chytil
Andersson - Strome - Fast
Nieves/McKegg

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
so when it comes to impacting the development of the kids and how panarin & zibanejad effect them....obviously they take away alot of pressure and attention and allows them to develop....but which scenario do you think is better for the development of guys like kakko & kravtsov (once they are ready for top 6 minutes obviously)

1) playing on a line with panarin and/or zibanejad so they are playing with elite players...but the kid might potentially be a 'passenger' on the line

2) playing on a separate line so panarin/zibanejd help create easier match ups but when on the ice kravtsov/kakko are forced to drive the play more and can't just rely on the superstar linemates?

scenario 1 they will put up alot more points...but in terms of develping into elite top line players themselves? my initial thought was better to play with them...but maybe scenario #2 is better early on and then switch to #1 when they are ready to face tougher match ups??

Both scenarios work. Depends on a prospect.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I think McKeg is going to be on the main roster unless he has an awful camp. We've seen it before but sometimes guys get labelled as AHLers and figure it out at ages 26-29. John Mitchell from 2011-12 for example. PA Parenteau before that.

He'll be the 12th-13th forward.

This team isn't that soft. Kakko is not going to OV people but his game is based on puck protection and cycling. Same with Chytil. Bottom six has guys like Lemieux/Fast/Howden/Anderson. McKeg. Trouba and TDA aren't soft. Yes there's room for more physicality, but it's not a soft group by any means.

Reactions: egelband

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I think McKeg is going to be on the main roster unless he has an awful camp. We've seen it before but sometimes guys get labelled as AHLers and figure it out at ages 26-29. John Mitchell from 2011-12 for example. PA Parenteau before that.

He'll be the 12th-13th forward.

Thanks, I just had Vietnam flashbacks of Johnnie Malkin trying to dangle through three defenders.

Reactions: Kupo and egelband

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I did a little survey and figured there are at least 10-12 teams that could really use a scoring left wing short and long term. I’m not sure how many teams are on Kreider’s no fly list but I am sure the Rangers have cross referenced and have a list of targets for a deal. I personally hate to see Kreider leave but after listening to Gorton’s comments and the Panarin signing, there’s not a lot of expectation that he stays.

Have Gorton made any recent comments on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad