Roster Building Thread IV (2019/2020)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think 6th worst is a fair projection. People aren't understanding how much has to go right for this team to be competitive this season. Tons of rookies/kids need to show they can hack it in the NHL, our defense (both personnel and system) need to drastically improve from last year, and considering we lost our 2 best defensive forwards(Zucc and Hayes) and are replacing them with kids I don't see this happening, not to mention how lucky we got with injuries last year.
Yep. Talent is there, in place. But they need a year to develop. Not only skill-wise, but also in terms of getting the system down and learning to play with each other. It's indeed a process. But the key is that many pieces are in place.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Above everything else, the money is not there for Stone. But buying out Shattenkirk and signing Stone, with Trouba/ADA/Fox, isn't even Sather-esque. Its Smith-esque.

Stone is getting paid buyout money. He had one year left at $3,5 M. He gets 2/3 of that paid out over 2 years, ie he loses $1,166,666 in the buyout. Bought out players usually - but not always - take a bit of a loss when they resign. Stones economic break even for a new one year deal is at the aforementioned $1,166,666. I would think he is signing for less than a million. I do not see a problem here, being contradictory, I see a good fit

Last edited:
Reactions: bobbop and Ola

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
It's all about defense and goaltending. If they suck, we suck, if they are good, we make the playoffs.

Hank may rebound or crap the bed some more, Georgie should be solid.

Really leaves the defense as the main factor deciding if we get a chance and Byfield.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
I think if even half those things happen we're already in good shape. The most ambitious ones there, though, are Kakko being Calder worthy and Kravtsov immediately playing top 6 hockey. A lot of the rest is pretty reasonable, depending on your opinion of Skjei/Trouba
How is Kakko being calder worthy ambitious? That’s just some typical Ranger fan conservatism.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Hughes will win the Calder. Not the Hughes in New Jersey. The Hughes brother in Vancouver. He looked really good at the end of last season after leaving Michigan. Pettersson and Hughes together on the ice will be dynamic. They will dominate in the overtime.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Hughes will win the Calder. Not the Hughes in New Jersey. The Hughes brother in Vancouver. He looked really good at the end of last season after leaving Michigan. Pettersson and Hughes together on the ice will be dynamic. They will dominate in the overtime.

You have a point, he did look dynamic and poised as hell. Calder race will be awesome.

Reactions: Rongomania

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I think if even half those things happen we're already in good shape. The most ambitious ones there, though, are Kakko being Calder worthy and Kravtsov immediately playing top 6 hockey. A lot of the rest is pretty reasonable, depending on your opinion of Skjei/Trouba
I don't think i've seen a list by anyone, Ranger fans or not, that doesn't have Kakko as a top 3 finalist for the Calder next season. Not really ambitious at all after seeing him perform and hold his own against NHLers at the WC.

Kakko, Makar, J. Hughes, Q. Hughes will be the top 4 likely.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Maybe? This is the best center that has taken to the ice wearing a Ragners jersey since someone names Gretzky. You look at his trajectory and the 70+ point season was what you would expect. Put him on a team with a better supporting cast, you you are probably looking at a 90 point player. Not to mention that he goes out against the opposition's top players a la Bergeron.

Everyone wants Byfield. But as of today, you likely need a top 2 or 3 pick to get him. Zegras? If he ever puts up a season like ZBad just did, it would be a major home run. The chances of him becoming a player like ZBad are not great. Sure Gorton wanted him. That was no secret. But that may not have been because he is seen as Mika's replacement.

The chance of them eclipsing Zbad are small to begin with. The chances of them doing is within a year or two are almost non-existent.

Or you luck out, get Byfield and have him be the 2C for the next 6 years and then eventually take over as 1C. This age profile thing is becoming ridiculous. ZBad himself is a young player and will continue to play at a high level for the next 6 years or so. The Rangers should be so luck that ANYONE of the players you mention can eclipse him within that time frame. You are grossly underrating ZBad.

I think you are assuming he will continue to put up 70 point seasons, though granted it will be easier playing with Panarin and Kakko.

But if he is more the 50 point player he had been, then he’s not all that unique.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I think you are assuming he will continue to put up 70 point seasons, though granted it will be easier playing with Panarin and Kakko.

But if he is more the 50 point player he had been, then he’s not all that unique.
I have a hard time seeing Mika drop to 50/82 pace, though 60/82 is feasible and where I'd put his floor. But I'd say it's just as likely his scoring rate will go up considering the increase in quality of teammates.

Zib actually had a pretty mediocre (for a 1C) 5v5 scoring rate the past season and it was still his career high - but the main reason for it being low was having to play with guys like Vesey, Names and Fast. I don't think he'll be in that situation this season unless we get hit with an absurd amount of injuries.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
What about Kakko and Panarin in OT?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think 6th worst is a fair projection. People aren't understanding how much has to go right for this team to be competitive this season. Tons of rookies/kids need to show they can hack it in the NHL, our defense (both personnel and system) need to drastically improve from last year, and considering we lost our 2 best defensive forwards(Zucc and Hayes) and are replacing them with kids I don't see this happening, not to mention how lucky we got with injuries last year.
While I agree there are items on the menu that have to go right, I do believe we have a better outlook going into this season than last. I believe the defense is significantly better with Trouba out there. I think one of Hajek/Rykov/Lindgren make the team and are effective on the defensive side of the puck. I think Fox is a player and at some point will have a strong impact at the NHL level even if it isnt to start the year.

I just feel their talent is a lot better. They are deeper too. You have Chytil, Howden, Andersson all entering there D+3 year. Well Howden is D+4.

It starts in net and on the blueline. And i think they are trending and progressing in the right direction. They may not be a playoff team but i see them as better than bottom 10.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
While I agree there are items on the menu that have to go right, I do believe we have a better outlook going into this season than last. I believe the defense is significantly better with Trouba out there. I think one of Hajek/Rykov/Lindgren make the team and are effective on the defensive side of the puck. I think Fox is a player and at some point will have a strong impact at the NHL level even if it isnt to start the year.

I just feel their talent is a lot better. They are deeper too. You have Chytil, Howden, Andersson all entering there D+3 year. Well Howden is D+4.

It starts in net and on the blueline. And i think they are trending and progressing in the right direction. They may not be a playoff team but i see them as better than bottom 10.
Agreed. And for the same reasons. I’m expecting 12-13. Just hoping they stay true to the rebuild when they’re ~6 points out at the TDL.

Reactions: eco's bones

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Agreed. And for the same reasons. I’m expecting 12-13. Just hoping they stay true to the rebuild when they’re ~6 points out at the TDL.
They really should not be buying unless they are 8 points clear in a playoff spot. And even then they should be looking at depth players that won’t cost them top draft picks. And even then i would move Namestnikov and bring in someone else at a cheaper cost to fill the same role.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I wouldn't mind the Rangers sneaking into the playoffs--I certainly see more possibility this year than last year. That said I also see us not moving our 1st this year and moving Kreider (playoff contention or not) for another 1st which would give us two 1st's again in the '20 draft (or the '21 draft if it's deferred). So to me we are going to be adding more young pieces in the next two/threes years while at the same time moving out older players. Eventually we're going to get to Smith, Staal and Henrik too. We have replacements for all them that are at least close to ready.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The Blues don't have a Tkachuk like player either, and they just won the Cup. It seems like your idea of "toughness" is changing by the post. First, it was players playing for each other (which we have, but you want to move them). Now its a power forward. Grass is always greener. I'm very glad we aren't the Islanders or the BJs.

I think I get what's hes saying.

Guys in the Blues top 6 that are pricks to play against are Schenn and Perron.

Both skilled, but both relish the physical aspect of the game and seek to engage the game that way.

I feel that Lemieux and ADA are very much cut from the same cloth. I just feel that there is a general lack of that from the rest of the team.

Itd be nice if CK displayed that more often, but hes not that type of player.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island

Yes their talent is better (presuming all these high-prized rookies make the team), but they are significantly more green and do not have the same vets (Zucc, Hayes) Quinn relied on to play tough D minutes last year. They could be better than a bottom 10 year, but like we've discussed, a lot would have to go right (all those kids) and not go wrong (goaltending, injuries for example) for that to be the case.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Ahhh we’ve progressed to the almighty Calder discussion. Season must be close.

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad