Roster Building Thread IV (2019/2020)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
IMO the long term scenario the Rangers should be hoping for, within reason, is this:

Panarin - ___________ - Kakko
Chytil - Andersson - Kravtsov
Barron - Howden - Lemiuex

With a 4th line being replenished by ELCs and cheap free agents, maybe veterans like Fast. Kreider, Buch, and maybe even Zibanejad traded to put the team in position for long term #1 center or #1 defenseman assets.

I'd be hoping to get into range for a guy like Byfield in this very draft, and possibly using the above referenced assets (Kreider, Buch, our own first, a future first) to do so.
Why is ZBad not a part of the long term solution? He IS a legit #1 center. Frankly, with a better support cast most would probably be singing his praises as "elite".

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Is it possible to sign these players, or are the younger ones still draft eligible?

I like Maser. Looks like a tough kid with leadership qualities.
There's a weird rule in the CBA where you can sign an undrafted player who would still be eligible for future entry drafts if they played in North America last season and attended a camp with you. Not sure if Traverse City would count. Can't find the CBA reference, but Michael Sgarbossa and Sergei Tolchinsky signed by the rule.

Reactions: Charlie Conway

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
There's a weird rule in the CBA where you can sign an undrafted player who would still be eligible for future entry drafts if they played in North America last season and attended a camp with you. Not sure if Traverse City would count. Can't find the CBA reference, but Michael Sgarbossa and Sergei Tolchinsky signed by the rule.
Traverse City does count. If the Rangers wanted to give out an entry level contract after the tournament they could.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

right, if you have a player on a tryout contract, you have signing rights until their junior team season starts

Tolchinsky had attended both Canea and NYR Prospect Camps, he was gonna come to TC w NYR,
but then signed ELC w canes in ~ August

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I think we need a PSA at the top of this thread when it comes to future builds for the team:

Mika Zibanejad is a #1 center. He put up 30 goals and 44 assists while having to carry weaker wingers on his line at times. He will now get to play with Panarin, Kreider, Kakko, Kravtsov, Buchnevich or Chytil on his wing instead of Jesper Fast, Jimmy Vesey, and Vlad Namestnikov. He plays in all situations and is 26 years old.

74 points, while playing with bottom 6 NHL players for chunks at a time (you'd be surprised to see how much ES time they got together).

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
right, if you have a player on a tryout contract, you have signing rights until their junior team season starts

Tolchinsky had attended both Canea and NYR Prospect Camps, he was gonna come to TC w NYR,
but then signed ELC w canes in ~ August

I remember when everyone here was so pissed Tolchinsky didn't sign here and everyone was convinced he was the next superstar

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I think we bring in a vet, UfA #7D at around 800-925 k that can be waived/stashed in Hartford if youth shows progression. Thinking in the lines of Michael Stone, Adam McQuaid or Ben Hutton (a trade 1st with him likely necessary) . No risk. Insurance. No effect on cap. An extra fwd could also be in the works. But the RFA thing needs to play out first to see if a trade becomes necessary

Last edited:

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Why is ZBad not a part of the long term solution? He IS a legit #1 center. Frankly, with a better support cast most would probably be singing his praises as "elite".

Maybe. But this year was his first year with really #1 center production. If he can keep it up, sure, but a nagging part of me suspects his peak in the 70 point range will not be particularly long lasting. He’s also got 3 years left under contract before he may want a big payday at age 29.

I mean, I guess “long term” certainly can be 3 years, but I’m not sure he will still be here after this contract or even through the end of it. He’s a valuable piece but the Rangers went hard after Zegras and I suspect a center like Byfield will be high on their list next draft.

If so, those players probably eclipse Zibanejad, relatively quickly, especially if he regresses back to his 50-point range in which he was really more of a high end 2C.

If we did get a guy like Byfield in next year’s draft and Andersson and/or Chytil turn into top 2C options, I could see Zibanejad being moved at some point. Guys like Byfield, Andersson and Chytil fit the age profile to grow with Kakko and Kravtsov better as well.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I think we bring in a vet, UfA #7D at around 800-925 k that can be waived/stashed in Hartford if youth shows progression. Thinking in the lines of Michael Stone, Adam McQuaid or Ben Hutton (a trade 1st with him likely necessary) . No risk. Insurance. No effect on cap. An extra fwd could also be in the works. But the RFA thing needs to play out first to see if a trade becomes necessary
Doesn't having an un-movable Mr. Versatile Smith make signing a 7D that can get demoted utterly redundant?

Reactions: Kupo and Rongomania

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Kinda like being able to shoot a Welshman with a crossbow on Sunday’s in Chester, UK. A rule is a rule

Reactions: William Moneylander

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Zibanejad has three years left on his current contract at which time he will be 29. Do you give him an 8 year deal then? taking him to 37. That's old and most players will fall off before or by then. So for me there's going to be some question of whether or not to sign him to another contract. I don't think I'd want to sign him for 8 years--maybe 6. But it's not an immediate problem.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Maybe. But this year was his first year with really #1 center production. If he can keep it up, sure, but a nagging part of me suspects his peak in the 70 point range will not be particularly long lasting. He’s also got 3 years left under contract before he may want a big payday at age 29.
Maybe? This is the best center that has taken to the ice wearing a Ragners jersey since someone names Gretzky. You look at his trajectory and the 70+ point season was what you would expect. Put him on a team with a better supporting cast, you you are probably looking at a 90 point player. Not to mention that he goes out against the opposition's top players a la Bergeron.
I mean, I guess “long term” certainly can be 3 years, but I’m not sure he will still be here after this contract or even through the end of it. He’s a valuable piece but the Rangers went hard after Zegras and I suspect a center like Byfield will be high on their list next draft.
Everyone wants Byfield. But as of today, you likely need a top 2 or 3 pick to get him. Zegras? If he ever puts up a season like ZBad just did, it would be a major home run. The chances of him becoming a player like ZBad are not great. Sure Gorton wanted him. That was no secret. But that may not have been because he is seen as Mika's replacement.
If so, those players probably eclipse Zibanejad, relatively quickly, especially if he regresses back to his 50-point range in which he was really more of a high end 2C.
The chance of them eclipsing Zbad are small to begin with. The chances of them doing is within a year or two are almost non-existent.
If we did get a guy like Byfield in next year’s draft and Andersson and/or Chytil turn into top 2C options, I could see Zibanejad being moved at some point. Guys like Byfield, Andersson and Chytil fit the age profile to grow with Kakko and Kravtsov better as well.
Or you luck out, get Byfield and have him be the 2C for the next 6 years and then eventually take over as 1C. This age profile thing is becoming ridiculous. ZBad himself is a young player and will continue to play at a high level for the next 6 years or so. The Rangers should be so luck that ANYONE of the players you mention can eclipse him within that time frame. You are grossly underrating ZBad.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
But it's not an immediate problem.
No, it is not. One that can be picked up in another year or two for a discussion. Considering that the best year for a center as a Rangers in some 20 years, I am not holding my breath that his replacement will be so easy to find.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Unless said Mr Versatility is in our top 6, if ADA doesn’t sign we gotta hit cheap FAs hard, welcome back McQuaid

ADA has to sign. He really doesn’t have much options

Smith although overpaid Is a fine fill in on D plus they will have a bunch of cheap young D call ups when an injury occurs

Reactions: egelband

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If I'm worried about anything about this team it's toughness. Say we start the season with Lemieux,DeAngelo and Smith(I'm not advocating he play just that he is one of our physical guys) not on the roster, we are ripe for the picking with physical teams like the Islanders or St.Louis. I still believe Namestnicov needs to move on to make room for someone of that ilk to take the pressure off Lemieux to be that guy, I'm not sure who the guy is but I think its needed with all the kids on this team. Maroon would have been nice but he is cup chasing. If it's not that type of guy I'd like to grab Justin William's for leadership and guidance. Does Devante Smith-Pelly make any sense? I dunno

Last edited:

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
If I'm worried about anything about this team it's toughness. Say we start the season with Lemieux,DeAngelo and Smith(I'm not advocating he play just that he is one of our physical guys) not on the roster, we are ripe for the picking with physical teams like the Islanders or St.Louis. I still believe Namestnicov needs to move on to make room for someone of that ilk to take the pressure off Lemieux to be that guy, I'm not sure who the guy is but I think its needed with all the kids on this team. Maroon would have been nice but he is cup chasing. If it's not that type of guy I'd like to grab Justin William's for leadership and guidance. Does Devante Smith-Pelly make any sense? I dunno
I don't think St. Louis is much if any tougher than this roster. I'm not sure how moving Namestnikov helps this though…he plays with an edge and I don't see him blocking Lemieux at all. That being said, Fast, Kreider, Namestnikov all unlikely to survive the TDL…there may be a toughness problem then.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I know some might not like this. I rather have Beleskey on the team over Namestikov. If they sent Namestikov to the AHL, would they save much money? No one would claim him right??

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I don't think St. Louis is much if any tougher than this roster. I'm not sure how moving Namestnikov helps this though…he plays with an edge and I don't see him blocking Lemieux at all. That being said, Fast, Kreider, Namestnikov all unlikely to survive the TDL…there may be a toughness problem then.

Your idea of toughness and mine are different I'm guessing. I'm talking about sticking up for the kids, being a deterrent for dirty hits and that kind of stuff. Kreider, Fast and Namestnicov arent that type of player. I'm not talking a cody MacLeod or whatever I'm talking about a big body who hits, can play hockey, and will get involved if there is a dirty hit. Maroon would have been good, I'm not sure who else is available in that mould. A Dubinsky/ Prust type when they were here is what I'm looking for I guess.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Your idea of toughness and mine are different I'm guessing. I'm talking about sticking up for the kids, being a deterrent for dirty hits and that kind of stuff. Kreider, Fast and Namestnicov arent that type of player. I'm not talking a cody MacLeod or whatever I'm talking about a big body who hits, can play hockey, and will get involved if there is a dirty hit. Maroon would have been good, I'm not sure who else is available in that mould. A Dubinsky/ Prust type when they were here is what I'm looking for I guess.
Who still on the Blues roster is the “tough” you’re talking about? And yes- Namestnikov was getting his nose plenty dirty last season. I watched him engage in a number of scrums on behalf of his teammates.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Who still on the Blues roster is the “tough” you’re talking about? And yes- Namestnikov was getting his nose plenty dirty last season. I watched him engage in a number of scrums on behalf of his teammates.

Schenn, Edmundson, Bortuzzo

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I know some might not like this. I rather have Beleskey on the team over Namestikov. If they sent Namestikov to the AHL, would they save much money? No one would claim him right??

1) Yeah, I think you'd be in a pretty heavy minority there. A better argument would be Beleskey over, say Nieves or McKegg. Names isn't getting sent down unless he comes in looking like Thor from Endgame.

2) No, the cap hit would be pretty much the same for either player.

3) Maybe? But Namestnikov is the kind of guy that could probably get a 3rd rounder at least with the cap reduction at the deadline, so we'd basically be giving some value away for free.

Reactions: nyr2k2

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Dom devoured Jimmy Vesey in his Sabres preview. He has the Sabres finishing 4th from the bottom.

With Vesey, the issue is defense, and that’s the cost that may take away from the line’s potential. Vesey’s defensive impact is the worst on the team and is the 10th-lowest among forwards league-wide. He’s only average offensively and it’s not enough to mitigate his negative impact in his own zone. It’s why he’s perilously close to replacement level and shouldn’t be counted on for much in Buffalo. If that can be fixed, there’s hope for the third line here, but that’s a big if.

Gorton was very fortunate he found a taker for the last year of Vesey’s contract for a 3rd. The Rangers freed up $2,275M in cap space.

So many scouts got Vesey wrong. Just three summers ago, Vesey was the big college free agent signing. I heard McKenzie say scouts felt Vesey was an immediate plug in and play player and a legit top 6 NHL forward.

Dom has the Rangers at 6th and that preview should be released on Monday.

1-Ottawa
2-Detroit
3-Los Angeles
4-Buffalo
5-Edmonton
6-Rangers
7-Arizona
8-Vancouver
9-Chicago
10-Columbus

Reactions: pld459666
Status