Roster Building Thread IV (2019/2020)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Dom devoured Jimmy Vesey in his Sabres preview. He has the Sabres finishing 4th from the bottom.

Gorton was very fortunate he found a taker for the last year of Vesey’s contract for a 3rd. The Rangers freed up $2,275M in cap space.

So many scouts got Vesey wrong. Just three summers ago, Vesey was the big college free agent signing. I heard McKenzie say scouts felt Vesey was an immediate plug in and play player and a legit top 6 NHL forward.

Dom has the Rangers at 6th and that preview should be released on Monday.

1-Ottawa
2-Detroit
3-Los Angeles
4-Buffalo
5-Edmonton
6-Rangers
7-Arizona
8-Vancouver
9-Chicago
10-Columbus

Rangers are finishing higher than this. They are not a bottom 10 team imo.

Time will tell.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Time will tell.

I think it mostly depends on how fast our young players progress, and how much of a contribution we get from certain rookies. If we assume nothing from any of our young guys like Chytil, Fox, Kakko, Kravtsov, Howden, ect, then I doubt we make the playoffs.

But if we get 2-3 really good seasons or progressions from young guys, I could easily see us well into the playoffs.

Of course- also a lot depends on Lundqvist. How does he play this season? Does he up his game in anticipation of the team;s improved competitiveness? If he struggles, does he get benched for one of the younger guys?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Time will tell.

I think they have a lot of talent but a lot of unknowns that are a bit hard to predict. I know people try to predict how points may translate across leagues and how players may develop but it still seems pretty imprecise to me.
If it all magically came together and...

Zibanejad meets or exceeds his last season
Panarin does his thing
Kakko is a calder candidate
Kravtsov is a legit top 6 creative player
Kreider sticks around and does his thing
Chytil improves to be in the 40+ point range
Howden also flirts with 40 points
DeAngelo continues his play from the end of the season
Trouba and Skjei form a solid top pairing
Fox and whoever else on the third pairing (Rykov, Hajek?) perform well against software competition
Lundqvist is at least solid and gets good backup help

Rangers could surprise

But that's a ton of things to go right and we could just as easily see glimpses of talent from Kakko and Kravtsov that don't pan out yet and a defense that struggles and an aging goaltender who can't prop up the team

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island

Time will tell.
I think 6th worst is a fair projection. People aren't understanding how much has to go right for this team to be competitive this season. Tons of rookies/kids need to show they can hack it in the NHL, our defense (both personnel and system) need to drastically improve from last year, and considering we lost our 2 best defensive forwards(Zucc and Hayes) and are replacing them with kids I don't see this happening, not to mention how lucky we got with injuries last year.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Panarin does his thing
Fox and whoever else on the third pairing (Rykov, Hajek?) perform well against software competition

I think if even half those things happen we're already in good shape. The most ambitious ones there, though, are Kakko being Calder worthy and Kravtsov immediately playing top 6 hockey. A lot of the rest is pretty reasonable, depending on your opinion of Skjei/Trouba

Reactions: kovazub94 and RGY

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I know some might not like this. I rather have Beleskey on the team over Namestikov. If they sent Namestikov to the AHL, would they save much money? No one would claim him right??
Terrible idea. Namestnikov can actually play a good two way game.

Beleskey? Not so much.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Who still on the Blues roster is the “tough” you’re talking about? And yes- Namestnikov was getting his nose plenty dirty last season. I watched him engage in a number of scrums on behalf of his teammates.

You arent getting what I'm meaning. We have a bunch of young skilled players, none that I know of who are say a tkachuk style player, if we dont get somebody to push back then these kids are gonna get pushed around, Namestnicov isnt going to do that. Lemieux and Smith might be the only guys we have capable of doing that. Smith isnt going to play and Lemieux isnt signed yet. Teams like Columbus or the Isles will come in here and rattle our teeth if we dont have some push back.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Ken Lund

Feb 23, 2019
Assuming Lemieux, DeAngelo dont sign and Smith is out of the lineup as well, which is a lot to assume, Trouba, Kreider, Strome, Namestikov and Andersson can keep us from getting run out of the rink. It's just not a strategy many teams employ.

Reactions: Avery16

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Time will tell.

They were the 6th worst team last year.

Postives: Trouba, Panarin added
Negatives: Zuccarello, Hayes, Vesey, Shattenkirk, Pionk gone

Does adding Fox, Kakko and Kravtsov and our other prospects "progressing" make up for the difference? And if it does, is it enough to make us jump 4+ teams? I doubt it.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
They were the 6th worst team last year.

Postives: Trouba, Panarin added
Negatives: Zuccarello, Hayes, Vesey, Shattenkirk, Pionk gone

Does adding Fox, Kakko and Kravtsov and our other prospects "progressing" make up for the difference? And if it does, is it enough to make us jump 4+ teams? I doubt it.
Debatable as to whether Pionk and Shattenkirk are losses.

If Panarin, Trouba, Kakko, Fox, et al can add up to the production of the guys we lost (I think they can), then we don't even really have to jump four teams. We were sitting 9-12 for basically the whole season with those guys. We didn't drop to sixth from the bottom until we passed the deadline.

Reactions: Harbour Dog and RGY

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Debatable as to whether Pionk and Shattenkirk are losses.

If Panarin, Trouba, Kakko, Fox, et al can add up to the production of the guys we lost (I think they can), then we don't even really have to jump four teams. We were sitting 9-12 for basically the whole season with those guys. We didn't drop to sixth from the bottom until we passed the deadline.

I think we will be better, but not in play off contention. If we are in the 15-20 range, that's a huge jump considering the changes we went through

Reactions: lucky13 and nyr2k2

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I think we bring in a vet, UfA #7D at around 800-925 k that can be waived/stashed in Hartford if youth shows progression. Thinking in the lines of Michael Stone, Adam McQuaid or Ben Hutton (a trade 1st with him likely necessary) . No risk. Insurance. No effect on cap. An extra fwd could also be in the works. But the RFA thing needs to play out first to see if a trade becomes necessary
I like the idea of bringing in Michael Stone but I don't know if there is enough $, even with Smith in Hartford. The Rangers would benefit with another experienced RHD who can kill penalties. Stone, when healthy, is a valuable player. McQuaid had a(nother) bad concussion at the end of last season and may retire. Hutton, I don't know. He may end up in LA on a PTO.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think we will be better, but not in play off contention. If we are in the 15-20 range, that's a huge jump considering the changes we went through
I think they could find themselves contending for a Wild Card in an ideal situation. However then you have to confront the fact that you're going to move Kreider and Namestnikov I all likelihood, and maybe even someone like Strome. And then you're in the same situation as the past couple years where you tumble down the standings.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I think if even half those things happen we're already in good shape. The most ambitious ones there, though, are Kakko being Calder worthy and Kravtsov immediately playing top 6 hockey. A lot of the rest is pretty reasonable, depending on your opinion of Skjei/Trouba
Kakko is literally the Calder favorite...

Lone Ranger

Jan 31, 2009
New York
I think they have a lot of talent but a lot of unknowns that are a bit hard to predict. I know people try to predict how points may translate across leagues and how players may develop but it still seems pretty imprecise to me.
If it all magically came together and...

Panarin does his thing

Rangers could surprise

But that's a ton of things to go right and we could just as easily see glimpses of talent from Kakko and Kravtsov that don't pan out yet and a defense that struggles and an aging goaltender who can't prop up the team

Buch's continued improvement may be a key positive as well

Reactions: kovazub94

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Your idea of toughness and mine are different I'm guessing. I'm talking about sticking up for the kids, being a deterrent for dirty hits and that kind of stuff. Kreider, Fast and Namestnicov arent that type of player. I'm not talking a cody MacLeod or whatever I'm talking about a big body who hits, can play hockey, and will get involved if there is a dirty hit. Maroon would have been good, I'm not sure who else is available in that mould. A Dubinsky/ Prust type when they were here is what I'm looking for I guess.
Yeah. I feel a team needs a certain number - a critical mass- of guys that relish physical play. It's an infectious attitude. D'Angelo, Smith, Kakko probably, Lemieux, even Namestnikov, Andersson maybe. That's a good number but I'd love one more.
I'm sure no one is suggesting adding one-dimensional goons.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
You arent getting what I'm meaning. We have a bunch of young skilled players, none that I know of who are say a tkachuk style player, if we dont get somebody to push back then these kids are gonna get pushed around, Namestnicov isnt going to do that. Lemieux and Smith might be the only guys we have capable of doing that. Smith isnt going to play and Lemieux isnt signed yet. Teams like Columbus or the Isles will come in here and rattle our teeth if we dont have some push back.
The Blues don't have a Tkachuk like player either, and they just won the Cup. It seems like your idea of "toughness" is changing by the post. First, it was players playing for each other (which we have, but you want to move them). Now its a power forward. Grass is always greener. I'm very glad we aren't the Islanders or the BJs.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I like the idea of bringing in Michael Stone but I don't know if there is enough $, even with Smith in Hartford. The Rangers would benefit with another experienced RHD who can kill penalties. Stone, when healthy, is a valuable player. McQuaid had a(nother) bad concussion at the end of last season and may retire. Hutton, I don't know. He may end up in LA on a PTO.
Above everything else, the money is not there for Stone. But buying out Shattenkirk and signing Stone, with Trouba/ADA/Fox, isn't even Sather-esque. Its Smith-esque.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad