Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
It's good we don't have to pick between them, but who do you guys rate higher between him and Pinto?

I think I gotta go with Greig.

I'm leaning towards Greig. He's a smarter player at both ends of the ice, IMO. He has better vision and has a real knack for getting under people's skin.

That being said Pinto is bigger (better at matching up against big C eg. Mattews and Barkov). For now he's a better faceoff guy too. I prefer his shot to Greig's as well.

I'd give a slight nod to Greig in the long run but that's probably just recency bias. They will probably complement each other really well down the road.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
What's the unique skillset?

Whoa! No chance he is above Norris.
Selke-level 2-way forward that is good at every aspect of the game.

As for Norris, I said long-term. Norris scores and plays good positionally, but he's not a play driver and doean'y have the same vision.

I think our tiers in a few years are basically:

stu
Bath/pinto
Greig/Norris

But Greig is playing great and he obviously has some good skill and great jam.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Well Pinto is 6’3 and Norris is 6’2 so I hate to burst your bubble but Pinto will always be above Norris
Badum bum!
Selke-level 2-way forward that is good at every aspect of the game.
Pinto? Selke level 2 way forward? Not yet.

Norris is better defensively, better in the dot and scores more while being a better skater as well.
As for Norris, I said long-term. Norris scores and plays good positionally, but he's not a play driver and doean'y have the same vision.
How is Norris not a play driver? He can hang on to the puck, skates well and has at least as good vision as Pinto who hasn't show much in the way of play making at the NHL level yet.
I think our tiers in a few years are basically:

stu
Bath/pinto
Greig/Norris

But Greig is playing great and he obviously has some good skill and great jam.
Disagree vehemently. It would be amazing if Pinto could reach Norris's level of play but I just don't see it. He will be an important part of the team and a big bodied 3C with size is very valuable but Norris is better in just about every aspect.

Yes, Pinto will continue to develop and I am not trying to slam him - I love his game and upside - but can't imagine he will jump over Norris.

In fact, as stated numerous times, I think Greig will overtake Pinto in points and in certain intangibles. He will bring guys into the fight a la Brady. Pinto is the even keel, reserved type, at least so far.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's good we don't have to pick between them, but who do you guys rate higher between him and Pinto?

Seems a bit early.

I thought Pinto was in a rough spot last year, it didn't do him any favours, but he still is very promising

Pinto should develop into the better defensive player, is already very strong at the dot as well. He's got the better shot, and is a fair bit bigger.

Greig to me is more of a pest, engages physically more often, and is a better playmaker.

Both guys are going to be great imo.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Badum bum!

Pinto? Selke level 2 way forward? Not yet.

Norris is better defensively, better in the dot and scores more while being a better skater as well.

How is Norris not a play driver? He can hang on to the puck, skates well and has at least as good vision as Pinto who hasn't show much in the way of play making at the NHL level yet.

Disagree vehemently. It would be amazing if Pinto could reach Norris's level of play but I just don't see it. He will be an important part of the team and a big bodied 3C with size is very valuable but Norris is better in just about every aspect.

Yes, Pinto will continue to develop and I am not trying to slam him - I love his game and upside - but can't imagine he will jump over Norris.

In fact, as stated numerous times, I think Greig will overtake Pinto in points and in certain intangibles. He will bring guys into the fight a la Brady. Pinto is the even keel, reserved type, at least so far.
Well, heres hoping we're still having these debates in a few years.

There was a thread a while back on Pinto vs. Norris vs. Batherson as to who would have the best career. People would bounce back and forth, as they were each killing it for stretches. So awesome that Greig might also force his way into that conversation. He looks pretty awesome so far this year and is making some high skill plays. I'm not as high on Norris, since he has the occasional stretch of meh games now and then.

And, of course, we've still got stu and brady on top of those guys. Sun is shining in sens land.

As for Pinto, I watched a lot of him at UND, and I'm a huge fan. He used to put that team on his back, and if it wasn't for caulfield's unreal season, he would have taken the Hobey Baker. I'm expecting some big time jumps in his game going forward. Such a smart player.

Reactions: OD99

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I like both, but I think Pinto's ceiling is higher. Pinto's skillset is very unique in the league. I think he might be a top 2C or even a 1C, and I have him above Norris and maybe Bath long term.
Pinto has a great shot but his playmaking is poor for a 3rd line centre let alone a 2nd liner. Not sure how you would have him above Norris who seems to be an almost elite goal scorer.

Reactions: Cosmix and robsenz

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013

I'd also say Greig. I feel like he has more puck skill than Pinto.

But my main concerns with Greig are
1. Taking dumb penalties.
2. Having an injury history.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Pinto has a great shot but his playmaking is poor for a 3rd line centre let alone a 2nd liner. Not sure how you would have him above Norris who seems to be an almost elite goal scorer.
I find Norris to be overrated to be honest. Really good defensive game, but he seems to need a great playmaker like Bath to feed him to make him effective. And he goes on cold streaks sometimes where you just dont notice him for a few games. He's had a few games where he's blown me away, for sure, but also a lot where i question his ability to live up to his salary.

Pinto's playmaking is fine, i think. Better than Norris', in my opinion. And certainly not poor for a 3C.

They're all really great players at the end of the day. I just put Pinto higher than Norris.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Well, heres hoping we're still having these debates in a few years.

There was a thread a while back on Pinto vs. Norris vs. Batherson as to who would have the best career. People would bounce back and forth, as they were each killing it for stretches. So awesome that Greig might also force his way into that conversation. He looks pretty awesome so far this year and is making some high skill plays. I'm not as high on Norris, since he has the occasional stretch of meh games now and then.

And, of course, we've still got stu and brady on top of those guys. Sun is shining in sens land.

As for Pinto, I watched a lot of him at UND, and I'm a huge fan. He used to put that team on his back, and if it wasn't for caulfield's unreal season, he would have taken the Hobey Baker. I'm expecting some big time jumps in his game going forward. Such a smart player.
It will be a good problem for us to have.

Our C depth seems to align well with how playoff teams are built.

He is too talented but if we have Pinto on the 4th line, we would be absolutely dominant down the middle.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I find Norris to be overrated to be honest. Really good defensive game, but he seems to need a great playmaker like Bath to feed him to make him effective. And he goes on cold streaks sometimes where you just dont notice him for a few games. He's had a few games where he's blown me away, for sure, but also a lot where i question his ability to live up to his salary.

Pinto's playmaking is fine, i think. Better than Norris', in my opinion. And certainly not poor for a 3C.

They're all really great players at the end of the day. I just put Pinto higher than Norris.

Perhaps there is a little recency bias involved here?

The last time Norris put together a stretch of over 10-15 consecutive games was in 2021-22 and he was our #1C facing top opposition putting up 35 goals 55 pts in just 66 games.

He was pretty damn consistent that season.. if Pinto reaches that level we should be elated

Reactions: Bileur

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
It will be a good problem for us to have.

Our C depth seems to align well with how playoff teams are built.

He is too talented but if we have Pinto on the 4th line, we would be absolutely dominant down the middle.
Reminds me of when we used to run Patty Eaves on our 4th line.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Perhaps there is a little recency bias involved here?

The last time Norris put together a stretch of over 10-15 consecutive games was in 2021-22 and he was our #1C facing top opposition putting up 35 goals 55 pts in just 66 games.

He was pretty damn consistent that season.. if Pinto reaches that level we should be elated
It's more a comment on his style of play than anything. He's primarily a sniper with a good defensive game. He gets his points and is solid defensively, but rarely is he controlling the play where you're hearing his name called every five seconds. So if he isn't scoring he can be pretty quiet on the offensive side some nights.

I'm not sure Pinto will ever score quite as many as Norris. I wouldn't write it off since pinto's shot is also excellent, and in terms of even strength g/60 their rookie seasons are nearly identical. It wouldn't surprise me if Pinto hits 35-40 one day, but it also won't surprise me if Norris pushes near 50.

But ultimately I think pinto will be a more dimensional player who has the potential to be more impactful throughout games.

That's not a shot at norris. Norris has some of the best goal scoring rates of any player drafted since Matthews. He's an awesome player. I just think Pinto will be equally if not more awesome.

We're getting pretty far off the topic of Greig here though..

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So for the guys here arguing that Pinto is equal to or possibly greater than Norris

What if Pinto thinks that?

How does that impact his signing here?

• Haha
Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Greig is a better fit to play with skilled players. Better puckhandler and playmaker than Pinto.

Which is why he should be shifted to LW when (hopefully not if) Pinto is signed.

He'd be the perfect guy to play alongside Norris and Batherson on the 2nd line.
I don’t know about all that. Nothing against ridly

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
So for the guys here arguing that Pinto is equal to or possibly greater than Norris

It wouldn't surprise me that Pinto's agent is fanning that fire.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Norris outproduced Pinto in their same-age season by a pretty significant margin and was the first C we locked up. Had a lot more leverage. If Pinto thinks he will steal Norris' job, he should take a year or two deal and cash in afterwards.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

He has to prove it though

Nothing from the insiders show that Pinto is asking for a lot of money. 2.5mill max is what I have heard.

We don't even have the cap space for that or close to that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad