Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
With every game Greig plays, I start to question more and more

Who will be the better / more valuable player? Greig or Pinto

And I'm leaning more towards Greig

Which then has me thinking, if Stuetzle and Greig are locks, do you move one of Pinto or Norris to wing? Or eventually move one to address a need.

All that aside, geez I hope we're still in this thing and healthy come game 41 and Pinto returns. We're going to be lights out.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Which then has me thinking, if Stuetzle and Greig are locks, do you move one of Pinto or Norris to wing? Or eventually move one to address a need.

All that aside, geez I hope we're still in this thing and healthy come game 41 and Pinto returns. We're going to be lights out.
Norris has been on fire at the dot, Pinto was pretty good his rookie year too. I think you need to consider moving Greig to the wing as an option as well,

That said, Norris hasn't been quite right since returning, he needs to find his groove after missing so much time, and imagine Pinto will have similar issues, so I'd gave no issue moving either to the wing until they find their game (Norris hopefully will already done so by the time Pinto is back)

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

For this season I'd shift Greig on the left side because that's our weakest side. Pinto back at center he just had the experience of playing a full season against top players. He's also much better on faceoffs and he's our only center that's a righty. Pinto is also good at driving the center of the ice. He's basically a perfect checking line center.

I don't see Greig sticking at center. I have no doubt Smith (or whoever is the coach at that point) will prefer Stutzle, Norris and Pinto at center and will shift Greig to the wing to play that agitator/dig the puck in the corners type of game.

That's not to say that Greig is not or will not be a great center, it's more that Pinto is just the guy who fits that role better with his size and two-way game.

When Pinto comes back....

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Stutzle - Giroux
Joseph - Pinto - Tarasenko
Kelly - Chartier - Kastelic

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Norris has been on fire at the dot, Pinto was pretty good his rookie year too. I think you need to consider moving Greig to the wing as an option as well,

That said, Norris hasn't been quite right since returning, he needs to find his groove after missing so much time, and imagine Pinto will have similar issues, so I'd gave no issue moving either to the wing until they find their game (Norris hopefully will already done so by the time Pinto is back)
Tkachuk Norris Batherson was a great line. I'd try reuniting that and sticking with it for a while.

That leaves you
Stuetzle, Greig, Tarasenko, Kubalik, Joseph and Giroux

The Greig line with Tarasenko and Joseph has been good. That leaves Stu with Giroux and Kubalik

Maybe try that?

We've got a lot of talent and we're averaging 4/game thus far. Every line is not going to be going every night, but it sure is nice to have 3 lines that are a threat every shift.

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Greig has far exceeded my expectations in terms of development time. If he keeps this up things become very interesting once 41 games passes. Does a Chabot + Pinto trade return a good RD and a good winger.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
For this season I'd shift Greig on the left side because that's our weakest side. Pinto back at center he just had the experience of playing a full season against top players. He's also much better on faceoffs and he's our only center that's a righty. Pinto is also good at driving the center of the ice. He's basically a perfect checking line center.

I don't see Greig sticking at center. I have no doubt Smith (or whoever is the coach at that point) will prefer Stutzle, Norris and Pinto at center and will shift Greig to the wing to play that agitator/dig the puck in the corners type of game.

That's not to say that Greig is not or will not be a great center, it's more that Pinto is just the guy who fits that role better with his size and two-way game.

When Pinto comes back....

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Greig - Stutzle - Giroux
Joseph - Pinto - Tarasenko
Kelly - Chartier - Kastelic
You're missing Kubalik! Hopefully there's going to be room to fit all of them under the cap when Pinto is back.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
9/76 posters voted Greig 3rd in our 2021 pool, he finally ended up 6th after Sanderson, Pinto, Brännström, Boucher and Formenton

Only @Sensinitis voted him 2nd before Pinto in 2021

5/79 posters voted him over Pinto in 2022 for 2nd rank in the pool

What is happening right now is exactly why some of us were extremely bullish on him (RKL notably), he has that "ice in his veins" Mark Stone vibe. This type of player is so invaluable, a quiet force that tilts the ice in your favor and are not always that expensive. Phil Danault is of that ilk too, Joel Eriksson Ek. My favorite type of players

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Yeah I think Greig would be a better fit on the wing. Pinto should be fine coming back at C. Guessing

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
9/76 posters voted Greig 3rd in our 2021 pool, he finally ended up 6th after Sanderson, Pinto, Brännström, Boucher and Formenton

Only @Sensinitis voted him 2nd before Pinto in 2021

5/79 posters voted him over Pinto in 2022 for 2nd rank in the pool

What is happening right now is exactly why some of us were extremely bullish on him (RKL notably), he has that "ice in his veins" Mark Stone vibe. This type of player is so invaluable, a quiet force that tilts the ice in your favor and are not always that expensive. Phil Danault is of that ilk too, Joel Eriksson Ek. My favorite type of players
I like the Danault comparison. My main concern with Greig has been durability not ability.

Yeah I think Greig would be a better fit on the wing. Pinto should be fine coming back at C. Guessing
I like Greig at centre, his IQ and instincts are somewhat wasted as a winger IMO.

Reactions: Xspyrit

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Disagree. Greig is a distributor and too smart to be a W. His hockey sense puts him in good positions and we wouldn't exploit that as much if he was moved from C.

Reactions: coladin

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Disagree. Greig is a distributor and too smart to be a W. His hockey sense puts him in good positions and we wouldn't exploit that as much if he was moved from C.

i like him at c, but what does this mean? Alfie, Marchand, Stone all wingers. all the smartest on their lines.

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
i like him at c, but what does this mean? Alfie, Marchand, Stone all wingers. all the smartest on their lines.
Patty Kane is a pretty smart winger. That said I have really liked Greig at C.. He needs to improve on the draw but he plays the position really well. I think he is one of the best two way players on the team. He's fast, he doesn't cheat , he supports the puck, he battles at both ends and he does it all with intelligence.
I also think Pinto has similar attributes. I don't think you can go wrong with either one as your 3C. How it shakes out is TBD. Which one transitions to the wing easier may come into it.. Pinto is a good player too who was very good on the draws as a rookie and he has a great shot that can beat goalies out further. He may have to shift to the wing if Greig keeps it up and keeps advancing .. We are probably looking very close to some time in February where this decision could occur.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ott has three good young two hundred foot centres in Pinto, Greig & Norris, Kastelic is offensively chappenged, but he is good on faceoffs, is able to hem teams in their end, hits, fights & is good at foechecking, a decent 4th line C & they have Ostapchuk coming. Nice to see Greig improving so quickly.

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
Greig has far exceeded my expectations in terms of development time. If he keeps this up things become very interesting once 41 games passes. Does a Chabot + Pinto trade return a good RD and a good winger.
Chabot + Joseph -> Jiricek + Jenner + 1st

Then we have enough cap to go for someone like Pesce or make a trade for another good RHD.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Chabot + Joseph -> Jiricek + Jenner + 1st

Then we have enough cap to go for someone like Pesce or make a trade for another good RHD.
Columbus laughs and hangs up. Pesce is terrible this year.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Center depth is very important. Trading Pinto would be crazy, especially with the previous injury issues that Norris has had. While I like Greig down the middle, he can always shift to wing when needed.

As far as Chabot goes, it is unlikely we "win" a Chabot trade unless it is like the Karlsson trade where we get lucky with picks/prospects wildly exceeding their expected value. Look at the Chychrun trade as a prototype for a return we can expect, then consider that Chychrun was on a much better contract than Chabot. If we do trade Chabot, the best case scenario would be a perfect storm Subban/Weber type situation. Knowing our luck, it will be Chabot for Parayko or Seth Jones.

The only way a Pinto trade might be justifiable is if they think he is overvalued or otherwise will be impossible to sign after his bridge deal and want to max out his value now. They shouldn't trade him just based on the idea that we have center depth. The only possible exception would be if we get an equivalent young RHD back, since that is the second most important and difficult spot to fill. I think it is unlikely that we get that piece though.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Center depth is very important. Trading Pinto would be crazy, especially with the previous injury issues that Norris has had. While I like Greig down the middle, he can always shift to wing when needed.

As far as Chabot goes, it is unlikely we "win" a Chabot trade unless it is like the Karlsson trade where we get lucky with picks/prospects wildly exceeding their expected value. Look at the Chychrun trade as a prototype for a return we can expect, then consider that Chychrun was on a much better contract than Chabot. If we do trade Chabot, the best case scenario would be a perfect storm Subban/Weber type situation. Knowing our luck, it will be Chabot for Parayko or Seth Jones.
I’m more inclined to move Pinto to wing to be honest.

Having two guys to take faceoffa is good, but Grieg seems like the more creative centreman in this short stint so far. Grieg also looks better defensively, though Pinto does have a reputation for solid defensive play in college.

Pinto also has a wicked one timer that would be a nice weapon along with Tank.

All in all a good problem to have.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Greig is solid. We see a lot of young guys slow down mid way through the season.

Its too early to tell. Wouldnt mind seeing him on a 3rd line shutdown role once he is back as a winger

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Greig is solid. We see a lot of young guys slow down mid way through the season.

Its too early to tell. Wouldnt mind seeing him on a 3rd line shutdown role once he is back as a winger
I think he’s too good for that, and we’re a bit too deep to have 3rd line that is purely a shut down line. As of right now his line better than our actual second line.

Reactions: aragorn

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Ya, good catch.

I think his smarts make him more effective at C. I am a big fan of distributors in the middle and the freedom it provides.

There are good, creative W in the league but, particularly if I compare Greig to Pinto, I would prefer Pinto on the wing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad