Reference to a past thread: ✔️
Splash of exaggeration: ✔️
Pinch of truth: ✔️
Dash of confusion and outrage: ✔️

Justright.jpg

izlez

Carter Mazur Fan Club
Feb 28, 2012
OH god. I hardly read any of this thread, but there was just no reason it needed to be made.

EDIT: Oh, it was a sarcastic copypasta of another satirical thread. Thank god.

Last edited:

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019

This was my satirical thread from a year ago. The OP just copy pasted and switched the names Lol.

And yes it was me who started the whole quietly deepest team thing Lol. Last summer, I was making a whole bunch of troll threads which got me suspended a couple of times. I never thought this thread would blow up the way it did.

What was absolutely hilarious was that some of my fellow Canucks fans were defending my post. Not once did I even ATTEMPT to defend that thread :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am very proud of that thread. My mission was completed.
People really just read the title and come here outrageposting, lmao.

Reactions: cole von cole

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I can't really find any other team aside from Vegas and Boston that has a more well rounded, balanced and potential threat line up than the Wings.

Gostisbehere, Petry, Määttä, that's 90-100 points alone from #4-6 guys. I don't think there's any team with that kind of scoring punch from depth d-men. Not to mention Seider having a down year last season due to Chiarot reasons. He's easily good for 50 points from the blueline.

Then you have another potential 20 points and 50+ PIM from Chiarot, and Walman who could definitely build on last season potting perhaps another 30pts along with great analytics. That's not even mentioning Holl who could be another Larry Murphy type player who thrives when going from Toronto to Detroit. Even Edvinsson could be good for 20-30 points including 5-10 goals.

Husso is a top 5 goaltender in the division, and there's Larkin and Copp (albeit overpaid) are 2 elite two-way forwards who make their wingers much better than they are (Perron, Fabbri, Raymond and Debrincat).

With the amount of team defense this team has with the additions of Compher, Kostin and Fischer, having a bit weaker scoring forwards is manageable. Wings were good at limiting high-danger chances last season even with atrocious depth, in large part thanks to Lalonde and his brains. Special teams was an issue but that should be improved.

I just can't really think of a more well balanced group, especially the defensive group, with an average age of 29 years old.
Good but not great.
Any team with Petry in their top six D.....can't cant brag about depth on the blue line

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I can't really find any other team aside from Vegas and Boston that has a more well rounded, balanced and potential threat line up than the Wings.

Gostisbehere, Petry, Määttä, that's 90-100 points alone from #4-6 guys. I don't think there's any team with that kind of scoring punch from depth d-men. Not to mention Seider having a down year last season due to Chiarot reasons. He's easily good for 50 points from the blueline.

Then you have another potential 20 points and 50+ PIM from Chiarot, and Walman who could definitely build on last season potting perhaps another 30pts along with great analytics. That's not even mentioning Holl who could be another Larry Murphy type player who thrives when going from Toronto to Detroit. Even Edvinsson could be good for 20-30 points including 5-10 goals.

Husso is a top 5 goaltender in the division, and there's Larkin and Copp (albeit overpaid) are 2 elite two-way forwards who make their wingers much better than they are (Perron, Fabbri, Raymond and Debrincat).

With the amount of team defense this team has with the additions of Compher, Kostin and Fischer, having a bit weaker scoring forwards is manageable. Wings were good at limiting high-danger chances last season even with atrocious depth, in large part thanks to Lalonde and his brains. Special teams was an issue but that should be improved.

I just can't really think of a more well balanced group, especially the defensive group, with an average age of 29 years old.
I disagree with the post entirely.

Your first sentence also totally contradicts the title.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I thought Detroit had a very nice prospect pool on D? So I really don't understand why they acquired all these (IMO) highly overrated d-men instead of giving one or two of Edvinsson, McIsaac, Johansson or Wallinder a shot.
What's so terrible about a prospect earning a spot? If all these players are so shit it shouldn't be a problem for them. Edvinsson had shoulder surgery and wouldn't start the season in the lineup anyway.

We have a very good prospect pool on d, like one of the best.

Last edited:

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
First of all, this makes me laugh as an Habs fan. Montreal sported younger, better version of Petry/Chiarot in their lineups for a few years and our highest ranking was 18th OA in the league.

Montreal was also comfortably middle of the pack in terms of goals against during that time period.

I'm not gonna comment on the other Ds you mentioned because I'm less familiar: Petry and Chiarot are absolute warriors, but, they're hardly cornerstones of an elite defense. (Petry might have been at some point, but he seems to have lost a step or two).

Scanning quickly, this makes Husso looks very good "Wow, top 5!"

But there are 8 teams in a division and I'd put Husso as 5th best at most... but in the mix with guys like Montembeault, Korpisalo, and maybe one of the Buffalo goalies.

Teams aren't all about elite talent or depth. Good teams win with both. It's much more difficult to acquire elite talent than solid depth though.

Edit: Shit I realize now that it was a shitpost

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What's so terrible about a prospect earning a spot? If all these players are so shit it shouldn't be a problem for them. Edvinsson had shoulder surgery and wouldn't start the season in the lineup anyway.

We have a very good prospect pool on d, like one of the best.

Because coaches and GMs tend to defer to vet players. Also teams generally don't like spending millions of dollars on players who aren't being dressed.

It happens all the time that young players get blocked due to contract situation. It's easier to send a waiver exempt prospect to the farm then it is to get rid of a multi year multi million doar contract.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Not to get into a dick measuring contest here, but

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Pesce
Skjei - DeAngelo
Jones - Chatfield
Coghlan

Canes are carrying two guys in the press box who played complete seasons last year. Their #9 man has 105 games of NHL experience at age 25.

Only two of those players are over 30 (Burns and Orlov) and according to HF’s recent poll series, the top pair is two of the top-25 defensemen in the league. Orlov, Pesce, Skjei would all be strong contenders for top-50 placement as well.
Exactly, Carolina has the deepest D-corp by a long shot. Then you have Vegas, Colorado, NJD, NYI. Detroit doesn't crack top 5, with or without Larry Murphy :laugh:

I mean shit man... little biased but I like the Pens D better. Karlsson, Tanger, Graves and Pettersson is a top-4 with equal parts star power and shutdown ability.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Because coaches and GMs tend to defer to vet players. Also teams generally don't like spending millions of dollars on players who aren't being dressed.
Considering if all 7 of our D are healthy there could be millions of dollars not being dressed I don't think that will be an issue if Edvinsson is playing better than them.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Considering if all 7 of our D are healthy there could be millions of dollars not being dressed I don't think that will be an issue if Edvinsson is playing better than them.

Good point. Just noticed one expensive one will be in the press box. Makes me wonder if Yzerman is trying to move one of them out.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I think the Wings are quietly middle of the pack with the potential to bump up or down.. Its definitely improved from year to year and likely our best D group in close to 10 years. Non fans havent realized some of the complete slugs we have had the last bunch of years so getting back to mediocracy is a welcome sight and trend in the right direction.

Reactions: Crunchy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad