Red Wings quietly have the deepest defensive group in the league

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

This was my satirical thread from a year ago. The OP just copy pasted and switched the names Lol.

And yes it was me who started the whole quietly deepest team thing Lol. Last summer, I was making a whole bunch of troll threads which got me suspended a couple of times. I never thought this thread would blow up the way it did.

What was absolutely hilarious was that some of my fellow Canucks fans were defending my post. Not once did I even ATTEMPT to defend that thread :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am very proud of that thread. My mission was completed.
Thanks, I figured this had to be a satirical post, didn't realize it was word for word homage from a different one.

Reactions: MessierII

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
They're definitely one of the most improved teams going into next year.

Debrincat is a huge addition and he's going to have a career year in Detroit next season

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
I can't really find any other team aside from Vegas and Boston that has a more well rounded, balanced and potential threat line up than the Wings.

Gostisbehere, Petry, Määttä, that's 90-100 points alone from #4-6 guys. I don't think there's any team with that kind of scoring punch from depth d-men. Not to mention Seider having a down year last season due to Chiarot reasons. He's easily good for 50 points from the blueline.

Then you have another potential 20 points and 50+ PIM from Chiarot, and Walman who could definitely build on last season potting perhaps another 30pts along with great analytics. That's not even mentioning Holl who could be another Larry Murphy type player who thrives when going from Toronto to Detroit. Even Edvinsson could be good for 20-30 points including 5-10 goals.

Husso is a top 5 goaltender in the division, and there's Larkin and Copp (albeit overpaid) are 2 elite two-way forwards who make their wingers much better than they are (Perron, Fabbri, Raymond and Debrincat).

With the amount of team defense this team has with the additions of Compher, Kostin and Fischer, having a bit weaker scoring forwards is manageable. Wings were good at limiting high-danger chances last season even with atrocious depth, in large part thanks to Lalonde and his brains. Special teams was an issue but that should be improved.

I just can't really think of a more well balanced group, especially the defensive group, with an average age of 29 years old.
Sure buddy, hard to even argue it’s top 4 in its own division let alone top in its division let alone the league.

But an improved group and interested to see how the wings do this year.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
They're probably the deepest if you take into account the players they have in Grand Rapids, but they're still far away from being the most talented group.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It certainly isn’t as bad as people have made it out to be (top 4 is pretty good) but I wouldn’t even have it top-10. Petry is a wildcard here, he’s a serviceable second pairing guy but he turns 36 in a few months.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
d5472292-4e7a-41dc-8b96-e9d4a5090e48_text.gif

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Holl, Maatta, Ghost, Petry and Chiarot have the potential to all be bad next season. The D is probably the most perplexing thing Yzerman is doing in Detroit.

Holl was a decent dman but he had a down year last year and who knows if that's a trend?

Maatta was already slow before the NHL was fast, if he regresses at all he becomes unusable. He's only in the league as it is because his hockey sense allows him.

Ghost is now gonna be playing for a defensive coach, if he doesn't get going offensively he's useless.

Chiarot was awful last year, is it a trend?

Petry regressed hard offensively last season and has no special teams utility, is it a downward trend that will only get worse?

Reactions: cptjeff

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
The entire OP reads like if you asked ChatGPT to generate a run-of-the-mill HF nonsensical homer thread, and excelled at it
🛡️ Iron-Willed Defenders: Behold the titan-like defense that the Red Wings have erected! Under the fearless leadership of Ben Chiarot, this group of defensive wizards turns enemy advances into exercises in futility. Their impervious resolve and tactical brilliance halt opposing teams' attempts with surgical precision. Opponents find themselves thwarted at every turn, as the Red Wings' defensive corps makes sure that victory is the only option on the table! 💥🔒

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
There might be a hint of validity to this if Edvinsson is playing 20+ a night, but until then... not so much.
There still isn't lol.

This thread will be valid 2-3 years from now if and when at least two if not all three of Edvinsson/Wallinder/ASP pan out. THEN Detroit may very well have the best D.

There's actually very high potential it comes to fruition... It's just an absolutely absurd thing to say right now.

Reactions: Ezekial

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Imagine the Red Wings defence with the Canucks forwards. So much quiet depth.

• Love
Reactions: Realgud

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Slavin Burns
Skjei Pesce
Orlov (?!?) TDA
Jones Chatfield
Coglan

I know their my team so of course I’m going to pump their tires but I don’t know how you say with certainly that any team in the league has a for sure deeper group than that.

I like what Detroit is doing overall tho.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I love the Wings and really enjoy wearing my jersey in every away arena I visit, but I think you’re a tad too optimistic…

The defence will be very slow and if Holl plays similar to how he did last year for the leafs, you will hate him in a heartbeat. I do think the defence is vastly improved compared to last season and they are probably the most improved defensive group compared to last season, but they were the equivalent of a hot steamy pile of dung last season so that’s not saying too much….
Holl got his butt kicked in a fight with RNH. Thats all you need to know about him. Several of the other guys you mentioned may be fairly good offensively but are questionable at best in their own end. If you really believe what you wrote you are in for an unhappy year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad