Red Wings quietly have the deepest defensive group in the league

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
As a wings fan I’ll say the teams defense is solid right now. Not amazing but not bad either, should be good. Deepest in the league is an absolute stretch, but I do think they are underrated. If we got rid of chiarot we might actually be able to make something happen, but as of right now idk what OP is smoking

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I've never understood why penalty minutes are brought up as a positive for performances/HHOF debates. Penalty minutes means you are giving the opposition scoring opportunities. It also takes away chances for your team.

Larry Murphy likely makes the HHOF even if he isn't traded to Detroit. He was also a much better Leaf than Holl. Not sure how these two players are even comparable.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Joe Sakic reading this:

smiling-50-cent-while-driving-away-lygfuwwwo9m8hd6p.gif

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I can't really find any other team aside from Vegas and Boston that has a more well rounded, balanced and potential threat line up than the Wings.

Gostisbehere, Petry, Määttä, that's 90-100 points alone from #4-6 guys. I don't think there's any team with that kind of scoring punch from depth d-men. Not to mention Seider having a down year last season due to Chiarot reasons. He's easily good for 50 points from the blueline.

Then you have another potential 20 points and 50+ PIM from Chiarot, and Walman who could definitely build on last season potting perhaps another 30pts along with great analytics. That's not even mentioning Holl who could be another Larry Murphy type player who thrives when going from Toronto to Detroit. Even Edvinsson could be good for 20-30 points including 5-10 goals.

Husso is a top 5 goaltender in the division, and there's Larkin and Copp (albeit overpaid) are 2 elite two-way forwards who make their wingers much better than they are (Perron, Fabbri, Raymond and Debrincat).

With the amount of team defense this team has with the additions of Compher, Kostin and Fischer, having a bit weaker scoring forwards is manageable. Wings were good at limiting high-danger chances last season even with atrocious depth, in large part thanks to Lalonde and his brains. Special teams was an issue but that should be improved.

I just can't really think of a more well balanced group, especially the defensive group, with an average age of 29 years old.

Worth mentioning that Murphy had long established himself as one of the leagues better defensemen years before he played for Toronto.

Thats certainly not the case with Holl.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I can't really find any other team aside from Vegas and Boston that has a more well rounded, balanced and potential threat line up than the Wings.

Gostisbehere, Petry, Määttä, that's 90-100 points alone from #4-6 guys. I don't think there's any team with that kind of scoring punch from depth d-men. Not to mention Seider having a down year last season due to Chiarot reasons. He's easily good for 50 points from the blueline.

Then you have another potential 20 points and 50+ PIM from Chiarot, and Walman who could definitely build on last season potting perhaps another 30pts along with great analytics. That's not even mentioning Holl who could be another Larry Murphy type player who thrives when going from Toronto to Detroit. Even Edvinsson could be good for 20-30 points including 5-10 goals.

Husso is a top 5 goaltender in the division, and there's Larkin and Copp (albeit overpaid) are 2 elite two-way forwards who make their wingers much better than they are (Perron, Fabbri, Raymond and Debrincat).

With the amount of team defense this team has with the additions of Compher, Kostin and Fischer, having a bit weaker scoring forwards is manageable. Wings were good at limiting high-danger chances last season even with atrocious depth, in large part thanks to Lalonde and his brains. Special teams was an issue but that should be improved.

I just can't really think of a more well balanced group, especially the defensive group, with an average age of 29 years old.
This kind of statement worked so well for Canuck fans last year.......

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Blegh.

You cram a bunch of players who were getting optimal usage onto the same team, and now they start competing with eachother for icetime. It's the opposite of the VGK and SEA strategy.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

This was my satirical thread from a year ago. The OP just copy pasted and switched the names Lol.

And yes it was me who started the whole quietly deepest team thing Lol. Last summer, I was making a whole bunch of troll threads which got me suspended a couple of times. I never thought this thread would blow up the way it did.

What was absolutely hilarious was that some of my fellow Canucks fans were defending my post. Not once did I even ATTEMPT to defend that thread :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am very proud of that thread. My mission was completed.
You make some really good points there - no surprise I accidentally made some similar arguments. Great minds think alike!

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
I thought Detroit had a very nice prospect pool on D? So I really don't understand why they acquired all these (IMO) highly overrated d-men instead of giving one or two of Edvinsson, McIsaac, Johansson or Wallinder a shot.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Hoping on Justin Holl…

Hope he doesn’t throw a pass right onto the stick of a guy like Matthews, Kaprizov or Gaudreau in the final minutes of a tie game - or hope he actually plays his man in the corners.

Look up his Tampa numbers - they’re borderline historically bad. He’s gonna cost you guys 3-4 points alone this season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad