Red Wings quietly have the deepest defensive group in the league

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Doh! Fellow Wings fan.... When I read the title, I knew I was going to feel bad for the OP.

Defense will still stink.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
In 3 year the wings d should be elite. Right now the top pair is good, second pair is iffy and 3rd pair is good for a 3rd pair. Stevey has been drafting studs on d since he got here. Im sure they will dump vets the next couple deadlines as the kids come in. I hope chiarot can play nhl level d this year and make himself tradable with retention. He was a tire fire last year for sure.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
This Holl = Murphy thing has to stop.

About the only things Holl has the ability to do anywhere close to Larry Murphy is skate at an average speed and maybe eat a lot of $1 hot dogs. That's it.

They'll be lucky if they even get 1999 Todd Gill.

If anything Holl will probably be closer to settling the score for when Toronto signed Brett Lebda.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
This Holl = Murphy thing has to stop.

About the only things Holl has the ability to do anywhere close to Larry Murphy is skate at an average speed and maybe eat a lot of $1 hot dogs. That's it.

They'll be lucky if they even get 1999 Todd Gill.

If anything Holl will probably be closer to settling the score for when Toronto signed Brett Lebda.
Holl would probably make less verbal gaffes on air.

I'll say one thing about Larry Murphy he's never let messing something up affect his flow of dialogue. Dude just f***s up and moves on. (over and over and over)

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
The defense is the one area that I haven't liked what Yzerman has done to the team. It's big, lacks mobility, skill, and transition ability.
Dear Lord - if only you saw what we had a few years ago…..

In all honesty - we’re very much middle of the road right now.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
Montreal has a legit shot of having one of the best D cores in a few years time.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Imagine if one team could have Canucks offense and Wings defence, they would be unstoppable.

:sarcasm:
IDK man, don't sleep on our defense either :cool: (Hughes - Cole, Soucy - Hronek, solid two-way D in Hirose... and the 6'8" corpse of Tyler Myers' top 4 RD career).

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
"Chiarot is one of the worst players in the league."
"Yea, but he's good for 50 penalty minutes."
"Shit, I'm sold."

• Haha
Reactions: TheStatican

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
They do have a lot of "depth" to their blueline. But it's clustered more toward the botton-half of the lineup types.

Sieder is a #1D. Petry is still a borderline Top-3D who can probably carry a pairing. But the rest of the group is just...a bundle of various #4-6 types. Which is fine, but when we're talking about the strength of a blueline, you can't really just gloss over those middle rungs 2-3. Not when there are teams that have those spots staffed with multiple #1D caliber guys and Top-3D 1-4.

I see Detroit's Top-pair as...pretty average despite Seider. Walman appears to have good chemistry, but he's he's really more of a complementary #4D filling the role.

I see Petry as a solid 2nd pairing guy, but whether he ends up playing with Chiarot/Maatta/Ghostisbehere...that to me, is a somewhat below average 2nd pairing as a whole.

The overflow should make for an higher end solidly above average 3rd pairing. But that doesn't really make up for the softer middle pairing and average top pairing.

It's also hilarious to just add up the points players scored in a completely different context and expect that to translate when they're suddenly all competing for the same offensive minutes to produce in. That's not really how that works.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I can't really find any other team aside from Vegas and Boston that has a more well rounded, balanced and potential threat line up than the Wings.

Gostisbehere, Petry, Määttä, that's 90-100 points alone from #4-6 guys. I don't think there's any team with that kind of scoring punch from depth d-men. Not to mention Seider having a down year last season due to Chiarot reasons. He's easily good for 50 points from the blueline.

Then you have another potential 20 points and 50+ PIM from Chiarot, and Walman who could definitely build on last season potting perhaps another 30pts along with great analytics. That's not even mentioning Holl who could be another Larry Murphy type player who thrives when going from Toronto to Detroit. Even Edvinsson could be good for 20-30 points including 5-10 goals.

Husso is a top 5 goaltender in the division, and there's Larkin and Copp (albeit overpaid) are 2 elite two-way forwards who make their wingers much better than they are (Perron, Fabbri, Raymond and Debrincat).

With the amount of team defense this team has with the additions of Compher, Kostin and Fischer, having a bit weaker scoring forwards is manageable. Wings were good at limiting high-danger chances last season even with atrocious depth, in large part thanks to Lalonde and his brains. Special teams was an issue but that should be improved.

I just can't really think of a more well balanced group, especially the defensive group, with an average age of 29 years old.
I'm sorry, a Wings center is making David Perron better than he is? David Perron is a great player. He has aged incredibly well too. And it appears you are calling Andrew Copp an elite two way center who is making Perron better, is that how you have it?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
A top 5 goaltender "in the division", lmao.

I am going to use that 'Top 5 goaltender in division' line when referring to Vanecek.

Good stuff.

Yes I noticed that line too. Top 5 out of 8 lol

The cherry on top, Husso was just ranked 7th in the division by folks on this board

• Haha
Reactions: North Cole

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
det has a solid d core, and they have the potential to become really good...but they're certainly not the deepest in the league.

this is all offseason nonsense that's purely on paper...maybe they shock the world as a group. but just looking at the metro where i'm most familiar, car, nyr, and nj are all better/deeper, and maybe the isles/pens. going off cursory knowledge of the west...col and vegas at least are ahead of them. i'd imagine there's a few other teams that look much stronger at this time.

i expect det to make a leap this year, but i don't think there's any argument that on paper they have any argument as the deepest in the league. upper half and strong likelihood to climb in the years ahead? i'd agree. top or even top 5 today? on paper, no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad