Red Wings quietly have the deepest defensive group in the league

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
This is an epic thread. Can't wait to revisit this in November. Once this guy sees Holl play a few games he'll be calling Chiarot at #1 guy.

Reactions: 13to40

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I’m so glad you have Justin Holl to play shutdown minutes
and Petry lol

if the Red Wings actually did have the best depth on the blue line , it would beg the question.....what happened to the NHL and where did all the Dmen go?

Last edited:
Reactions: smitty10

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I’d take the Devils D core over Wings‘ 100 times out of 100.
Hamilton , Hughes , Nemec , Marino , Seigenthaler , Bahl .
Very good mix IMO with having each pair with an offense style paired with a stay at home guy .
All are good at moving the puck and Hughes and Nemec have the potential to be elite at it.
Just my two cents but I think Luke and Nemec will be as good or better than Seider amd Edvinsson. Then Hamilton is better than any other D on Detroit, then have Marino Seigs who are elite defensively. Bahl played very well agajnst the Rangers in the playoffs and showed glimpses of being physically dominant and able to defend very well.
There are alot of D cores I take over Detroits with very little hesitation. NJ is much better. Outside of Seider who's a legit top 4 capable of carrying a pairing?....

Seider is by far the best of the four young d you named. I'm taking him and Edvinsson any day over Hughes and nemec.

PaulD

Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I can't really find any other team aside from Vegas and Boston that has a more well rounded, balanced and potential threat line up than the Wings.

Gostisbehere, Petry, Määttä, that's 90-100 points alone from #4-6 guys. I don't think there's any team with that kind of scoring punch from depth d-men. Not to mention Seider having a down year last season due to Chiarot reasons. He's easily good for 50 points from the blueline.

Then you have another potential 20 points and 50+ PIM from Chiarot, and Walman who could definitely build on last season potting perhaps another 30pts along with great analytics. That's not even mentioning Holl who could be another Larry Murphy type player who thrives when going from Toronto to Detroit. Even Edvinsson could be good for 20-30 points including 5-10 goals.

Husso is a top 5 goaltender in the division, and there's Larkin and Copp (albeit overpaid) are 2 elite two-way forwards who make their wingers much better than they are (Perron, Fabbri, Raymond and Debrincat).

With the amount of team defense this team has with the additions of Compher, Kostin and Fischer, having a bit weaker scoring forwards is manageable. Wings were good at limiting high-danger chances last season even with atrocious depth, in large part thanks to Lalonde and his brains. Special teams was an issue but that should be improved.

I just can't really think of a more well balanced group, especially the defensive group, with an average age of 29 years old.
Did you test this at Yuk Yuks before HF ?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The defense depth is going to hand out zone time to attacking players like they're giving out Halloween candy.

• Wow
Reactions: Aurinko

The90

Feb 27, 2017
This big time reminds me of the classic ‘Habs have deepest forward group in the league’ thread

Reactions: bert

UED

May 2, 2021
I think Gostisbehere-Petry-Maatta might be the worst bottom 3 in the NHL

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I can't really find any other team aside from Vegas and Boston that has a more well rounded, balanced and potential threat line up than the Wings.

Gostisbehere, Petry, Määttä, that's 90-100 points alone from #4-6 guys. I don't think there's any team with that kind of scoring punch from depth d-men. Not to mention Seider having a down year last season due to Chiarot reasons. He's easily good for 50 points from the blueline.

Then you have another potential 20 points and 50+ PIM from Chiarot, and Walman who could definitely build on last season potting perhaps another 30pts along with great analytics. That's not even mentioning Holl who could be another Larry Murphy type player who thrives when going from Toronto to Detroit. Even Edvinsson could be good for 20-30 points including 5-10 goals.

Husso is a top 5 goaltender in the division, and there's Larkin and Copp (albeit overpaid) are 2 elite two-way forwards who make their wingers much better than they are (Perron, Fabbri, Raymond and Debrincat).

With the amount of team defense this team has with the additions of Compher, Kostin and Fischer, having a bit weaker scoring forwards is manageable. Wings were good at limiting high-danger chances last season even with atrocious depth, in large part thanks to Lalonde and his brains. Special teams was an issue but that should be improved.

I just can't really think of a more well balanced group, especially the defensive group, with an average age of 29 years old.
This isn't the flex you think it is

RyGuy

Mar 24, 2013
Medford, NJ

No.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
That D corps is like taking a huge dump, but it comes out fast, clean and in one continuous coil. You are pretty happy, in the context of having a dump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad