Red Wings quietly have the deepest defensive group in the league

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
There are alot of D cores I take over Detroits with very little hesitation. NJ is much better. Outside of Seider who's a legit top 4 capable of carrying a pairing?....
Agree with this.

Seider is by far the best of the four young d you named. I'm taking him and Edvinsson any day over Hughes and nemec.
Man I love Seider but this sounds like a poll question to me.

That D corps is like taking a huge dump, but it comes out fast, clean and in one continuous coil. You are pretty happy, in the context of having a dump.
Man did you really have to go there?

Mind you I was eating when I read this but still.......

Reactions: NyQuil

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Not to get into a dick measuring contest here, but

Slavin - Burns
Orlov - Pesce
Skjei - DeAngelo
Jones - Chatfield
Coghlan

Canes are carrying two guys in the press box who played complete seasons last year. Their #9 man has 105 games of NHL experience at age 25.

Only two of those players are over 30 (Burns and Orlov) and according to HF’s recent poll series, the top pair is two of the top-25 defensemen in the league. Orlov, Pesce, Skjei would all be strong contenders for top-50 placement as well.

Best D in the league.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
CBJ has a top 5 blueline in the league imo

Werenski-Boqvist
Provorov-Severon
Bean-Peake
Jiricek-Gudbranson

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
It’s a group with high potential for sure, but to call them top 5 means projecting growth, bounce back and chemistry/fit that has question marks.
Agreed, Me personally I expect big things for CBJ IF Werenski can stay healthy and if Provorov can bounce back and lock down that 2nd pairing. with 2 of Boqvist severon peake to compliment them nicely

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Rip

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1692597958114.jpg
    FB_IMG_1692597958114.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

DavidpauseReinbacher

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
I can't really find any other team aside from Vegas and Boston that has a more well rounded, balanced and potential threat line up than the Wings.

Gostisbehere, Petry, Määttä, that's 90-100 points alone from #4-6 guys. I don't think there's any team with that kind of scoring punch from depth d-men. Not to mention Seider having a down year last season due to Chiarot reasons. He's easily good for 50 points from the blueline.

Then you have another potential 20 points and 50+ PIM from Chiarot, and Walman who could definitely build on last season potting perhaps another 30pts along with great analytics. That's not even mentioning Holl who could be another Larry Murphy type player who thrives when going from Toronto to Detroit. Even Edvinsson could be good for 20-30 points including 5-10 goals.

Husso is a top 5 goaltender in the division, and there's Larkin and Copp (albeit overpaid) are 2 elite two-way forwards who make their wingers much better than they are (Perron, Fabbri, Raymond and Debrincat).

With the amount of team defense this team has with the additions of Compher, Kostin and Fischer, having a bit weaker scoring forwards is manageable. Wings were good at limiting high-danger chances last season even with atrocious depth, in large part thanks to Lalonde and his brains. Special teams was an issue but that should be improved.

I just can't really think of a more well balanced group, especially the defensive group, with an average age of 29 years old.
As a detroit fan... Buffalo, Rangers Avs alone all still eclipse detroits d lol. Come on man

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I know a lot of people are laughing at this thread, but I do think Detroit certainly has a pretty deep d-core. They have 7 guys who all played over 18 minutes per game last year.

On the other hand, it looks better on paper than what it actually is. Some are old or have been at points whipping boys on their past teams.

But for the regular season I think depth is good to have. If you add Edvinsson in the mix, I don't think the Red Wings are too concerned who is in the lineup night in night out. If someone visibly sucks, it's not a big deal.

Nov 9, 2022
I’d take the Devils D core over Wings‘ 100 times out of 100.
Hamilton , Hughes , Nemec , Marino , Seigenthaler , Bahl .
Very good mix IMO with having each pair with an offense style paired with a stay at home guy .
All are good at moving the puck and Hughes and Nemec have the potential to be elite at it.
Just my two cents but I think Luke and Nemec will be as good or better than Seider amd Edvinsson. Then Hamilton is better than any other D on Detroit, then have Marino Seigs who are elite defensively. Bahl played very well agajnst the Rangers in the playoffs and showed glimpses of being physically dominant and able to defend very well.
No love for Seamus Casey?!

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Normally I'm the first to rush to defend the Wings on these boards, but this thread is waaay premature. Let's wait to see them play some games before we declare anything.

For one thing, they're still in a very tough division. Even if they've improved the roster quite a bit with good depth, they are still missing the high end talent that most of their divisional opponents have.

I like Husso but saying he's top 5 in the division isn't saying much at all.

While I don't hate Holl and Chiarot as universally as most folks do, they're far from top tier defenders and could actually end up hurting the team defense more than helping.

There's plenty to be optimistic about as a Wings fan, but this type of thread is just set up for ridicule.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Normally I'm the first to rush to defend the Wings on these boards, but this thread is waaay premature.
This thread is a satire of a post from last year around this time that the Canucks quietly had the deepest forward group in the League. That one was a bit more subtle, this one more obvious, but it basically mirrors the exact post and just swipes out Red Wing DMan specific things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad