Proposal: Red Wings offer-sheets Pettersson for 13 million

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
So...just to have a little fun.

Detroit signs Pettersson at 1 X$13,000,000
Canucks receive draft picks in 2022, 2023, 2024, and 2025

Canucks then loose for a year and draft with Detroits 1st and the Canucks 2022 (Both top 10)

Then in the summer of 2022, Pettersson becomes a RFA again
and the Canucks offer him a 5 years X $10,000,000, and give Detroit back the Canucks 2023, 2024, 2025 and 2026 1st round picks

Keeping Detroits 3 remaining 1st round picks, which in turn prevents them from doing that again

Mean while Vancouver has Detroits better 1st round picks and Pettersson

Sure, I am in!
But Detroit would match and keep the player and better picks.

Reactions: zcaptain

Ledge And Dairy

You have no idea what "no GM" would or would not do. 1C is literally the hardest position to (legitimately) fill in the league. Paying 4 1st round picks, none of which are likely to be top 3 picks with Pettersson on the Wings, for one is far from psychotic. Detroit's rebuild will fail if they aren't able to acquire a Pettersson level center through the draft and the odds are severely stacked against them doing that.
Why would none of the picks be top 3? Pettersson would still be the 5th best center in that division and wouldnt have much of a team around him to work with. Even with EP40 Detroit is still 100% bottom feeding next year

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
All yours, Detroit. Thanks for the 1sts. Balanced teams at all positions are what win the cup these days. 13 million for a centre who isn't even top 10 in the league is ludicrous.

Reactions: north49er

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
But remember

RFA offers are based over 5 years

So an offer of 10 Million per for 7 years

is a cap hit of $14,000,000 per

It that caphit only for the draft pick compensation table. If we go as high as four 1st round picks, it doesn't matter if it's over the highest limit anyways.

It's still the normal caphit of 10M for the salary cap.

Reactions: Throw More Waffles

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Then in the summer of 2022, Pettersson becomes a RFA again
and the Canucks offer him a 5 years X $10,000,000, and give Detroit back the Canucks 2023, 2024, 2025 and 2026 1st round picks

Keeping Detroits 3 remaining 1st round picks, which in turn prevents them from doing that again

Mean while Vancouver has Detroits better 1st round picks and Pettersson

But Detroit would match, and keep him for 10M, 5 years and for foreseeable future. :dunno:

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
I doubt Pettersson is interested in a team thats worse than Vancouver, at least if those "want to be in a winning team" comments he did this offseason hold some kind of value.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I realize that the OP is a Detroit fan and I want to personally apologize to the board on behalf of my fellow Wings fans. This man does not represent us with this foolish proposal.

Yeah, I represent myself and this is very fun discussion and speculation. :)

Every opinion in here is good.

Reactions: zcaptain

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The only way it's zero chance, is if they make the playoffs.
And chances are they aren't making the playoffs.

Just being out of Bottom10 denies the 1st overall. Don't have to be at the playoffs.

They would be out of Bottom10 with Pettersson. Yzerman has made it already so much better team. Maybe 6th-7th worst at the moment. Almost all dead weight has been cleaned from the roster.

Bedard and Wright "tickects" are very unprobable, if they add Pettersson.

Deas

Feb 3, 2017
All yours, Detroit. Thanks for the 1sts. Balanced teams at all positions are what win the cup these days. 13 million for a centre who isn't even top 10 in the league is ludicrous.

Off topic now but you got me thinking. Of course depth and balance is a key, but that has not been the main approach of cup winning teams. I think this is a bit of a myth. Securing the depth is something you try to do as good as possible after securing a star core.

21 - Tampa: Kucherov, Hedman, Point, Stamkos, Vasi
20 - Same
19 - Blues: ROR, Pietriangelo, Tarasenko Binnington (they are as close to an exception as you get here, with star but not superstar level contracts, and Binner on cheap first deal when they won)
18 - Caps: Ovy, Bäckström, Kuznetsov, Carlson
17 - Pens: Sid, Geno, Letang
16 - Same

Before that LA (Kopitar, Doughty, Quick) and Hawks (Towes, Kane, Seabrook, Keith, Crawford).

Of course they managed their depth well, but I think the majority of cup winners had star players with high percentage cap hits at the time. We have not seen the Montreal or Islanders-formula with one single cup winner in recent history? (STL being borderline)

This is why I don't bash Toronto as much as some. They will contend for many years. With their roster they can win. It's just damn hard.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
They won't be in the Bottom10 when adding Pettersson and Seider. Mostly are pushing for the playoffs.
If Petterson does not get Vancouver close to the playoffs he does not get Detroit out of the bottom 10 in the league.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Give up four Detroit unprotected 1st round picks starting in 2022 for one year of Pettersson at $13mm with rights to continue to pay him that much annually…. What could possibly go wrong there?

I’m 110% supportive of Detroit doing this offer sheet.

For the sake of transparency, I’m also an Avs fan.

Last edited:

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
He would be overpaid only for 1 year and then the long extension is made with normal reasonable caphit, like 8M.

Point is to get the guy.

4 x first round pick could a pipeline of "Svechnikov, Cholowski, Rasmussen, Zadina".
Could also be Byram, Newhook, Barron and Rantanan. Or Shane Wright. It’s kinda risky.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Lemieux or Gretzky or even Orr would qualify at that worth at current market if it were the market at their respective era. They are worth way more than 13 million before they were even 22 years old. I would if offer sheet existed at that time. Offer sheet rules didn'tcome in until 1987 if I recall correctly.
"Or even Orr " excuse me ........... you meant to say ,I am sure Orr and even Lemieux or Grtzky......

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
"Or even Orr " excuse me ........... you meant to say ,I am sure Orr and even Lemieux or Grtzky......

no, you should just drop the even.

Gretzky, Lemieux, and Orr are all top 5 players of all time.

they would also all be worth a league max deal for any season.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Because they shouldn’t be doing it at all.
We just witnessed why teams don’t use offer sheets as a regular course of business. It clearly enraged the Canes and they responded with their own successful, petty and with ill intentions offer sheet. Every team has RFAs they want to keep and keep as cheap as possible. This isn’t a good ole boys club, it’s collusion to keep young player salaries down as much as possible.

the problem with the Aho offer sheet wasn’t the AAV or even the bonuses, it was the term that walks Aho into UFA at his youngest possible moment, creating max leverage for the player.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Just being out of Bottom10 denies the 1st overall. Don't have to be at the playoffs.

They would be out of Bottom10 with Pettersson. Yzerman has made it already so much better team. Maybe 6th-7th worst at the moment. Almost all dead weight has been cleaned from the roster.

Bedard and Wright "tickects" are very unprobable, if they add Pettersson.

A lot of the teams in the basement "vastly improved".

Jersey, Kings, and Chicago made more improvements than the wings. You guys are very much in the hunt for Wright/Bedard.

Name the teams you believe the wings leap-frog over for 21st place (Including Seattle, who I believe are a better team):

upload_2021-9-7_8-51-49.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-9-7_8-51-18.png
    upload_2021-9-7_8-51-18.png
    122.2 KB · Views: 1

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
A lot of the teams in the basement "vastly improved".

Jersey, Kings, and Chicago made more improvements than the wings. You guys are very much in the hunt for Wright/Bedard.

Name the teams you believe the wings leap-frog over for 21st place (Including Seattle, who I believe are a better team):

View attachment 463941
Currently better than Buffalo, Arizona, Columbus, Anaheim, Seattle, SJ, and Vancouver if they lose Pettersson. Probably add Ottawa and NJ if you’re adding him as well.
So outside of the nottom 10 isn’t unreasonable.

Definitely not a good idea to do this though, that I agree with

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Imagine if Petterson got hurt and missed 2/3 of next season. Detroit could be a last place team. They can't risk giving up such a prized pick at this stage. If they're at a point where they're already competitive it would make a lot more sense.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Why would none of the picks be top 3? Pettersson would still be the 5th best center in that division and wouldnt have much of a team around him to work with. Even with EP40 Detroit is still 100% bottom feeding next year

Because Detroit isn't a worse team than Buffalo or Arizona even without Pettersson so it's very unlikely they would finish bottom three if they add him. The division is totally irrelevant to where they will finish in the league standings (which is all that matters for draft position) since we're moving back to a normal schedule where teams don't play all their games in division. Once you get outside the top 2 or 3 picks first rounders simply aren't that valuable relative to a proven #1 center like Pettersson.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The better play is tell Vancouver we want to trade for him...if they won't then sign him to a 10.27 x 3 OS...that is just under the 4 1sts threshold. Vancouver would hate it as after that deal is up EP can just sign his QO and enter UFA right after.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad