Proposal: Red Wings offer-sheets Pettersson for 13 million

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Marner being overpaid by $1.5-2 million is not a big deal and Pettersson being overpaid by $3 million wouldn't be a big deal either. The odds that any of those 4 1sts end up being as good as Pettersson are very low. Lower than anyone wants to admit.

The real reason a Pettersson offer sheet won't happen is that Vancouver will match every time no matter how high the price is. Pettersson is irreplaceable and trading Boeser and/or Miller for extra cap space is preferable to losing him for four lottery tickets.
Flat-out delusion.

Making Petersson the highest paid player in the league as well as losing 4 first round picks is really really f***ing stupid. No gm would ever EVER do it. You can go around thinking you're smarter than all these gm's. Have fun.

But the real reason such offer sheets won't happen is because it would literally be a psychotic thing to do.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Flat-out delusion.

Making Petersson the highest paid player in the league as well as losing 4 first round picks is really really f***ing stupid. No gm would ever EVER do it. You can go around thinking you're smarter than all these gm's. Have fun.

But the real reason such offer sheets won't happen is because it would literally be a psychotic thing to do.

You have no idea what "no GM" would or would not do. 1C is literally the hardest position to (legitimately) fill in the league. Paying 4 1st round picks, none of which are likely to be top 3 picks with Pettersson on the Wings, for one is far from psychotic. Detroit's rebuild will fail if they aren't able to acquire a Pettersson level center through the draft and the odds are severely stacked against them doing that.

Reactions: Henkka

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
"They have enough cap space to horribly overpay a player as well as lose four 1st round picks".

That doesn't seem like a good argument imo...

Dubas overpaid Marner (who had better elc stats than EP) and it's universally considered a bad contract and may cost him his job.

Now just imagine... just imagine... if it was (lol) 13 mil AS WELL AS Dubas lost 4 first round picks. He'd be fired with such a bad reference he would never work again. Not only in the nhl, but literally anywhere.

I mean, come on everyone. Let's be realistic about this.

Except Dubas unnecessarily overpaid Tavares and Matthews at the same time. Overpaying Marner or Matthews or Tavares is fine, but not all three. A team can survive one unnecessary overpayment. More than that, it gets tricky.

I’ll even give you that the pandemic made Dubas’ overpayments seem worse in hindsight (and the Sharks and Stars and Tampa), but that would be survivable if it was just one overpaid contract.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Except Dubas unnecessarily overpaid Tavares and Matthews at the same time. Overpaying Marner or Matthews or Tavares is fine, but not all three. A team can survive one unnecessary overpayment. More than that, it gets tricky.

I’ll even give you that the pandemic made Dubas’ overpayments seem worse in hindsight (and the Sharks and Stars and Tampa), but that would be survivable if it was just one overpaid contract.
As Dubas figured out… that one overpayment had a trickle down effect as players used it as internal comparables.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
You have no idea what "no GM" would or would not do. 1C is literally the hardest position to (legitimately) fill in the league. Paying 4 1st round picks, none of which are likely to be top 3 picks with Pettersson on the Wings, for one is far from psychotic. Detroit's rebuild will fail if they aren't able to acquire a Pettersson level center through the draft and the odds are severely stacked against them doing that.
Each and every year there are rfa's with Peterssons stats (at least). No gm has EVER given an offer sheet to make them (lol) the highest paid player in the league. Aho's stats are right in line with Peterssons. The best he could get was 8.5

The reason this never happens is that it would be career suicide. The masssive MASSIVE overpay, as well as 4 first round picks would lead to the gm rightfully being fired.

There's no old boys club thing here. No code. This shit dosn't happen because it would be a really really stupid thing to do.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Each and every year there are rfa's with Peterssons stats (at least). No gm has EVER given an offer sheet to make them (lol) the highest paid player in the league. Aho's stats are right in line with Peterssons. The best he could get was 8.5

The reason this never happens is that it would be career suicide. The masssive MASSIVE overpay, as well as 4 first round picks would lead to the gm rightfully being fired.

There's no old boys club thing here. No code. This shit dosn't happen because it would be a really really stupid thing to do.

No there aren't 22 year old centers who scored a point per game on their ELCs hitting the RFA market every year. Aho was well short of that mark and Bergevin clearly undershot on the offer sheet if he had any intention of acquiring the player. The truth is we have no idea how many offer sheets are tendered because the player actually has to sign the contract for it to get reported. We do know Columbus sent Marner a huge offer sheet when he was RFA which likely would have been in the 4 1st round pick compensation range and he plays a less valuable position than Pettersson.

All that said there are obvious arguments why Detroit shouldn't do this but it's also not "psychotic" for them to consider it. It's almost impossible to win or even seriously compete for a Cup without a 1C of Pettersson's caliber and Detroit is going to need significant draft lottery luck to even have a chance to find someone like that with their next four 1st round picks.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
No there aren't 22 year old centers who scored a point per game on their ELCs hitting the RFA market every year. Aho was well short of that mark and Bergevin clearly undershot on the offer sheet if he had any intention of acquiring the player. The truth is we have no idea how many offer sheets are tendered because the player actually has to sign the contract for it to get reported. We do know Columbus sent Marner a huge offer sheet when he was RFA which likely would have been in the 4 1st round pick compensation range and he plays a less valuable position than Pettersson.

All that said there are obvious arguments why Detroit shouldn't do this but it's also not "psychotic" for them to consider it. It's almost impossible to win or even seriously compete for a Cup without a 1C of Pettersson's caliber and Detroit is going to need significant draft lottery luck to even have a chance to find someone like that with their next four 1st round picks.

Insiders speculate that Marner was sent an offer sheet… but we have no idea for how much.

And aho’s elc stats are right in line with Peterssons. And he was WAY healthier. Best he could get was 8.5

Nobody offered point (lol) the highest cap hit in the league. Nobody offered Rantanen (lol) the highest cap hit in the league. All again better health history.

man… it’s really starting to look like every nhl gm is a stupid freaking idiot, right?

Either that, or you’re just completely totally and utterly wrong.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
As Dubas figured out… that one overpayment had a trickle down effect as players used it as internal comparables.

Fair enough. The unfortunate thing was the Leafs had an embarrassment of riches. Had Dubas not tried to speed up the rebuild with Tavares, Marner and Matthews might have signed for less.

Then again, maybe the Marner and Matthews contracts are actually “settled for” contracts and they asked for way more. Regardless all $10M+ contracts are overpaid, and the only one justified is McDavid.

Reactions: Throw More Waffles

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
There is no player in the NHL that's worth 13 million
Lemieux or Gretzky or even Orr would qualify at that worth at current market if it were the market at their respective era. They are worth way more than 13 million before they were even 22 years old. I would if offer sheet existed at that time. Offer sheet rules didn'tcome in until 1987 if I recall correctly.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
This is a fantastic hypothetical from Vancouver's end. Pettersson is a great player and you'd hate to lose him, but it could be a huge blessing in disguise. Getting DETROIT's 4 1sts? Detroit's pick this year is likely to be real high in a great draft. They likely aren't a bottom two team in the league, but they probably are still bottom five in that brutally hard division (and conference). Plus three more firsts? Plus losing Pettersson which will give Vancouver a higher pick? Even though Vancouver has already made win now moves this summer, I'd be inclined to deal a few other vets and try and be worse this year and give myself two lottery tickets.

Reactions: Henkka

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Honestly would be best news for Canucks if this happened. We gladly take the picks from Detroit. Not that it ever would Stevie bit smarter then this proposal.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Petersson at 13 mil each year? Yeah... I don't think they could build a winner around that.
I would not bother screwing around with the one year thing. Just offer him 7 years 77 million. Save a couple of thousand and still put VCR on the Clock. The 4 firsts stays the same.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
I’m sure Benning would be heavily inclined to match it to save his ass, but 4 1sts from a bottom feeder would be insane to reject with the talent coming up. I’d do it.

So...just to have a little fun.

Detroit signs Pettersson at 1 X$13,000,000
Canucks receive draft picks in 2022, 2023, 2024, and 2025

Canucks then loose for a year and draft with Detroits 1st and the Canucks 2022 (Both top 10)

Then in the summer of 2022, Pettersson becomes a RFA again
and the Canucks offer him a 5 years X $10,000,000, and give Detroit back the Canucks 2023, 2024, 2025 and 2026 1st round picks

Keeping Detroits 3 remaining 1st round picks, which in turn prevents them from doing that again

Mean while Vancouver has Detroits better 1st round picks and Pettersson

Sure, I am in!

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020
So...just to have a little fun.

Detroit signs Pettersson at 1 X$13,000,000
Canucks receive draft picks in 2022, 2023, 2024, and 2025

Canucks then loose for a year and draft with Detroits 1st and the Canucks 2022 (Both top 10)

Then in the summer of 2022, Pettersson becomes a RFA again
and the Canucks offer him a 5 years X $10,000,000, and give Detroit back the Canucks 2023, 2024, 2025 and 2026 1st round picks

Keeping Detroits 3 remaining 1st round picks, which in turn prevents them from doing that again

Mean while Vancouver has Detroits better 1st round picks and Pettersson

Sure, I am in!
Brilliant

Reactions: zcaptain

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
He's 22 years old and they would be guaranteed to have him for at least the next four seasons. Yzerman can't build a good team around Pettersson, Larkin, Vrana, Raymond and Seider over the next 4 years?

Yzerman can build a good team without having to toss 13m and give up 4 first round picks. The Wings need a guy like EP. They don’t specifically need Elias Pettersson. And even if they decided they did, it would be a far better idea to just trade four first round picks to Vancouver and sign him at the contract you want than give him a shitty one year contract that he would push for you to non tender him so he could go anywhere next season with 13 million more in his pocket

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

A one year 13m OS would be f***ing ludicrous. EP would simply not accept anything but the tender. So, you’ve either got him at an incredibly overweight contract for a second year or he’s off to a team of his choosing.

a multi year 13m contract is incredibly stupid because he’s not anywhere near that level of player. I’d argue that 13m is a good 4-5 million overpayment for EP40.

Bertuzzipunch

Aug 9, 2020
A one year 13m OS would be f***ing ludicrous. EP would simply not accept anything but the tender. So, you’ve either got him at an incredibly overweight contract for a second year or he’s off to a team of his choosing.

a multi year 13m contract is incredibly stupid because he’s not anywhere near that level of player. I’d argue that 13m is a good 4-5 million overpayment for EP40.
Yeah really makes no sense for detroit imo its just too much money, too many picks and it cant be just for 1 year. All of it makes no sense its either max years or nothing. Finding that franchise 1C isnt a easy find for any team tho.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Yeah really makes no sense for detroit imo its just too much money, too many picks and it cant be just for 1 year. All of it makes no sense its either max years or nothing. Finding that franchise 1C isnt a easy find for any team tho.

But remember

RFA offers are based over 5 years

So an offer of 10 Million per for 7 years

is a cap hit of $14,000,000 per

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Yzerman should be fired. That’s all.
definitely this.

the compensation would be the next four 1st round picks. just imagine pettersson walks after the one year contract is up. best of all if he would return to vancouver. the term has to cover at least the years of the compensation picks.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I believe the poster was talking 1 year deal. We could handle Pettersson at 13mil this year, it would just mean Hughes would basically be forced to sign a 1 year deal worth around 4.5mil, either that or hold out.

My mistake. I assumed it was a multi-year deal. In a one year scenario it's still questionable but I do think we might match that.

Ledge And Dairy

He would be overpaid only for 1 year and then the long extension is made with normal reasonable caphit, like 8M.

Point is to get the guy.

4 x first round pick could a pipeline of "Svechnikov, Cholowski, Rasmussen, Zadina".
How the hell are you signing him for 8M? His QO will be 13M and even if you use team arbitration the minimum he can get (85%) is 11.05M. The only way you can get him for less than that is of you choose to not qualify him and he becomes an unrestricted free agent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad