Proposal: Red Wings offer-sheets Pettersson for 13 million

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Risk yeah, but everything is negotiable.

You guys seem to always fear the worst. :laugh: It's peanuts for Yzerman to negotiate the 2nd deal.
If Petersson is playing hardball with Vancouver this year… why wouldn’t he play hardball next year with Detroit when he has far more leverage via his qo?

it makes absolutely no sense for Detroit to do this. A rebuilding team losing 4 first round picks for possibly only 1 year of a player.

Steeler23

Aug 10, 2004
They won't be in the Bottom10 when adding Pettersson and Seider. Mostly are pushing for the playoffs.

You are banking on so much "?":

- Seider never played in the NHL
- Pettersson never played a full NHL season (injuries)
- Zadina didn't break anything yet. Is Raymond making the team? He never played in the NHL so we can't know for sure if he will be ready and good.
- Wingers would be Vrana (who did good), Bertuzzi (missed almost all season), Fabbri (who isn't really a top-6 on a playoff team) and the 2 kids? Berggren (another unproven kid)?
- Nedeljkovic played 29 NHL games. Carolina let him go because they didn't believe he was worth 3M? Maybe they saw something in his game they weren't confident in, so I wouldn't celebrate a sure bonafide #1 G so fast IMO
- D isn't bad with Seider-Leddy-Hronek-DeKeyser, but really thin.

Even if ALL the stars align, any injury would crush the team. How can Yzerman give 4 1st rounder with that line-up just to had 1 player (who never finish a season over a PPG)?

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Yzerman said all along his goal is to build a complete team that can contend for the cup year after year. They still don't know what exactly they have in many of their prospects. Over the next year or two they'll get a much better idea and if things progress well then maybe they'd be in a position to make an aggressive move like this. As it stands, there would just be way too much risk on their end.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
And he will magically just accept 8M long term when he have a QO of 13M? And you can't negociate this extension before January or something like that, so that's a *** big risk.
Think qualifying offer at end of season on a yearly basis just to keep him at 13 million if Red Wings offer and Canucks match. If it happens, it will be much easier for Petterson to just accept qualifying offer on an annual basis without any free agent negotiations just until he's at UFA age. If he's 100 pts player and Canucks could easily trade his RFA rights for high returns if he rejects the offer rather than commit him to a long term contract and helps with the cap flexibility with three options: on any off-season year: tendering QO, trades his right before QO or before draft Day or not tendering any QO and let him walk as UFA earlier or Petterson decides to reject the QO and sign for a team-friendly contract. The money says, he will never reject any QO until he's UFA age. It's a win-win situation for the Canucks if any team offer sheet a term that is just for one year at 13m because Canucks will not have to commit to Petterson if there's any career ending injury and is immediately off the book after a season rather than stuck at LTIR until his deal expires.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I dunno… I think Vancouver would probably match…

It’s not about the value, it would take us years to fill the hole that losing Pettersson would create. If we lose him we might as well trade Horvat and Miller too and go full rebuild. It wouldn’t be worth it.

At that point, I'd honestly rather go full rebuild. Pettersson at 13M would completely cripple us. Taking the four 1sts would at least put us on a fast turn around.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Think qualifying offer at end of season on a yearly basis just to keep him at 13 million if Red Wings offer and Canucks match. If it happens, it will be much easier for Petterson to just accept qualifying offer on an annual basis without any free agent negotiations just until he's at UFA age. If he's 100 pts player and Canucks could easily trade his RFA rights for high returns if he rejects the offer rather than commit him to a long term contract and helps with the cap flexibility with three options: on any off-season year: tendering QO, trades his right before QO or before draft Day or not tendering any QO and let him walk as UFA earlier or Petterson decides to reject the QO and sign for a team-friendly contract. The money says, he will never reject any QO until he's UFA age. It's a win-win situation for the Canucks if any team offer sheet a term that is just for one year at 13m because Canucks will not have to commit to Petterson if there's any career ending injury and is immediately off the book after a season rather than stuck at LTIR until his deal expires.
Players want far more long term security in their contracts than this. Both financially and to have a better chance at stability in their life.

JK worked because he was as yet unproven, so 6 mil and a fresh start was a no brainer.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
At that point, I'd honestly rather go full rebuild. Pettersson at 13M would completely cripple us. Taking the four 1sts would at least put us on a fast turn around.

I believe the poster was talking 1 year deal. We could handle Pettersson at 13mil this year, it would just mean Hughes would basically be forced to sign a 1 year deal worth around 4.5mil, either that or hold out.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Patterson can actually skate...and doesn't fall down in passing breezes....:laugh:

I'm not sure I'd want to trade Suzuki for him without seeing two more years of Suzuki, but Petterson is a top 20 center.

Was more about most likely late first round pick vs 4x first round picks from a rebuilding team.

But sure, Kotkaniemi is terrible now, i get it.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I realize that the OP is a Detroit fan and I want to personally apologize to the board on behalf of my fellow Wings fans. This man does not represent us with this foolish proposal.

Even with Pettersson Detroit is not a playoff team. Most of us are big fans of Pettersson but he is not worth multiple lottery picks especially when they could turn into generational players.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I realize that the OP is a Detroit fan and I want to personally apologize to the board on behalf of my fellow Wings fans. This man does not represent us with this foolish proposal.

Even with Pettersson Detroit is not a playoff team. Most of us are big fans of Pettersson but he is not worth multiple lottery picks especially when they could turn into generational players.

Pettersson has a much better chance of turning into a "generational player" than anyone Detroit drafts in the next four years. Which is exactly why Vancouver would match any offer sheet.

Reactions: Henkka

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
Players want far more long term security in their contracts than this. Both financially and to have a better chance at stability in their life.

JK worked because he was as yet unproven, so 6 mil and a fresh start was a no brainer.
Yes, security is important but knowing that the qualifying offer is a powerful tool if you offer him a higher one-year deal and you will not have to commit to his service until you will have to make a decision during UFA years and commit him to a long term deal. IF he wants security then offer him long term deal at a lower annual basis salary. Red Wings could easily offer sheet at that price without committing his service long-term. If players wants security then you need to prove them that you are worthy of that salary at end of the one-year deal and offer-sheet is a security in itself for young players because if a team does not tender any qualifying offer then he walks as a UFA and can always seek a security with other team. That is what all GM overlooks and continued to sign their own RFA and buy their UFA years and if any injury that affects long-term, it becomes a bad contract in itself.. If players at a lower salary having a good year, it's a common sense to reject the QO seek a long term deal at a higher salary and I would still accept his higher salary on a one-year deals and that is how you control your RFA and still maintain the reasonable salary and gives that players motivation to keep on performing on any one-year deals. If a player signs one-year deal and if they do not perform, then the teams will have to make a hard decision whether to tender QO to keep him or not and if a player received a QO and just had a bad season, then it's common sense for that player to accept that QO rather than go to arbitration and go as a UFA and most often that the team will be willing to give that young player a chance to redeem his bad season if you are below the UFA age. That is security in itself for both team and the player.

One-year deal on a higher salary is security by-production as you are using extra dollar undeservedly for his lower contract the next time as a UFA or continue to get at that salary undeservedly if a team decides to give you another chance on a one-year deal on the same QO price.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Pettersson has a much better chance of turning into a "generational player" than anyone Detroit drafts in the next four years. Which is exactly why Vancouver would match any offer sheet.

The Redwings will be competing for Wright and Bedard. I wouldn’t make as strong a claim as you

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Yes, security is important but knowing that the qualifying offer is a powerful tool if you offer him a higher one-year deal and you will not have to commit to his service until you will have to make a decision during UFA years and commit him to a long term deal. IF he wants security then offer him long term deal at a lower annual basis salary. Red Wings could easily offer sheet at that price without committing his service long-term. If players wants security then you need to prove them that you are worthy of that salary at end of the one-year deal and offer-sheet is a security in itself for young players because if a team does not tender any qualifying offer then he walks as a UFA and can always seek a security with other team. That is what all GM overlooks and continued to sign their own RFA and buy their UFA years and if any injury that affects long-term, it becomes a bad contract in itself.. If players at a lower salary having a good year, it's a common sense to reject the QO seek a long term deal at a higher salary and I would still accept his higher salary on a one-year deals and that is how you control your RFA and still maintain the reasonable salary and gives that players motivation to keep on performing on any one-year deals. If a player signs one-year deal and if they do not perform, then the teams will have to make a hard decision whether to tender QO to keep him or not and if a player received a QO and just had a bad season, then it's common sense for that player to accept that QO rather than go to arbitration and go as a UFA and most often that the team will be willing to give that young player a chance to redeem his bad season if you are below the UFA age. That is security in itself for both team and the player.

One-year deal on a higher salary is security by-production as you are using extra dollar undeservedly for his lower contract the next time as a UFA or continue to get at that salary undeservedly if a team decides to give you another chance on a one-year deal on the same QO price.
Ok. So that could possibly work from Petersson's perspective (which I'm still not fully convinced of). But based on the argument above, how does any of that make sense for Detroit?

They lose 4 first round picks as a rebuilding team for either ONE year of Petersson, or many years of Petersson at (lol) 13 million?

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
He would be overpaid only for 1 year and then the long extension is made with normal reasonable caphit, like 8M.

Point is to get the guy.

4 x first round pick could a pipeline of "Svechnikov, Cholowski, Rasmussen, Zadina".
I can understand this to a point. Is Pettersson the missing piece of the puzzle? Is he that much of an impact player with what would be around him to jettison those picks?

Reactions: Henkka

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
Ok. So that could possibly work from Petersson's perspective (which I'm still not fully convinced of). But based on the argument above, how does any of that make sense for Detroit?

They lose 4 first round picks as a rebuilding team for either ONE year of Petersson, or many years of Petersson at (lol) 13 million?

Not every 1st round pick pans out. You could easily flop 4 first round picks and gained nothing. No guarantees. You better have a great scouting team for 2nd round pick and forth. There will always be 4 or 5 prospects that supposed to be a 1st round pick end up in 2nd round pick because teams choose to pick off the board in first round and it happens every year. Not a total loss if you are bottom 5 for 2nd round picks and you are still guaranteed to grab a first round that might be ready in 2-3 seasons. You gained top tier player in exchange for 4 1st, even on a rebuilding seasons. and if Petterson wants out before he's UFA, you recoup the lost picks by maybe 1 or 2 first round picks, a good player roster spot and a prospect in return at anytime you do not want him. Your rebuilding process is sped up by one or two season at the most. You do not want to be Oilers where it has too many first round on team and not doing anything to help the team for a decade. By the time you are eligible to negotiate, you can always negotiate on a team-friendly contract before he becomes UFA.

Last edited:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The Redwings will be competing for Wright and Bedard. I wouldn’t make as strong a claim as you

Even if Detroit finishes last they will only have a 25% chance at drafting one of these players and it's far from a guarantee that they finish last. If they finish second last those odds are cut in half. Pettersson has a better chance of becoming a consistent 100 point player since he has proven he is close to that level already at a very young age.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad