Proposal: Red Wings offer-sheets Pettersson for 13 million

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Patterson can actually skate...and doesn't fall down in passing breezes....:laugh:

I'm not sure I'd want to trade Suzuki for him without seeing two more years of Suzuki, but Petterson is a top 20 center.
Pettersson has won like 120 faceoffs the past 2 year.
wasn't really relied on in the faceoff circle last year.
u sure he's a top 20 C?
Pettersson is amazing but seems little high since he was basically mostly a winger last year

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Detroit might be a lottery team. I usually prefer players over picks, but Detroit's picks might be top3.

They aren't, if you add Pettersson + other Yzerman's summer moves.

Nobody seems to understand how much better team it would be WITH Pettersson, and how much better it already is.

I've said it's maybe 6th-7th worst with these current summer moves (BUF, OTT, ARI, CBJ, ANA are worse and maybe SJS), and if you add Pettersson and lose nothing except picks, it will rise them out from the Bottom10. Canucks is one team it would overlap, if Pettersson plays at Detroit and Canucks are without him.

Then those four 1sts are no Wright or Bedard picks. They are at mid-1st round.

Pettersson being injured for half-season at last season? = 2 point difference in Standings.

Detroit 48, Vancouver 50.

People in here aren't awake of Red Wings current team status.

The offer-sheet could be lunatism, but the State of the Team is not.

Also, the effect of adding this level of player will be huge. Because every center would be better.

1. Pettersson > Larkin
2. Larkin > Suter
3. Suter > Rasmussen
4. Rasmussen > Stephens.

That's the effect it would do. Whole Center core is stronger and it would push one guy to wing, or you could trade one guy to other assets. Again, making the team stronger on another position.

Last edited:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
They aren't, if you add Pettersson + other Yzerman's summer moves.

Nobody seems to understand how much better team it would be WITH Pettersson, and how much better it already is.

I've said it's maybe 6th-7th worst with these current summer moves (BUF, OTT, ARI, CBJ, ANA are worse and maybe SJS), and if you add Pettersson and lose nothing except picks, it will rise them out from the Bottom10. Canucks is one team it would overlap, if Pettersson plays at Detroit and Canucks are without him.

Then those four 1sts are no Wright or Bedard picks. They are at mid-1st round.

Pettersson being injured for half-season at last season? = 2 point difference in Standings.

Detroit 48, Vancouver 50.

People in here aren't awake of Red Wings current team status.

The offer-sheet could be lunatism, but the State of the Team is not.
True, I haven't followed the offseason moves all too much. I know last year they were bad, though. If they pick mid first round, I'd agree.

Reactions: Henkka

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Wrong timing on this kind of move - the team needs to know that it has actual top 6 forwards and an actual top 4 D out of all of it's unproven prospects before it throws away 4 chances to improve on any of those spots that end up busting. In one-two years, depending on how much/whether there's improvement this year, I'd fully support this kind of move.

Detroit might be a lottery team. I usually prefer players over picks, but Detroit's picks might be top3.

Lol at the idea the Wings will ever pick top 3, no matter how bad they are.

Reactions: WF19

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
I don't know why everyone is so against this general idea. We offer EP 1 year at $13M, but have an 8-year extension in place at a more reasonable cap hit in order to actually make losing the four 1sts palatable. Further, a team with EP-Larkin as our center depth and our improved defensive play is nowhere near the cellar, maybe not playoff bound this year, but certainly more in contention. So, looking a little deeper in the future, if the Wings are a playoff caliber team after next season, and remain so over the remaining three years, would giving up one pick in the teens and three picks in the 20s for Pettersson be worth it? I think a case can be made for it.

However, because Blashill remains our coach, I highly doubt we are going to see such a drastic move just yet.

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
Do it, Stevie!

Just move Miller to center, trade the Canucks 1st next year for a good LW and we're good to go.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Soooo, you are saying that, Pettersson is 7 million worth more = that he is that much better what Kotkaniemi.

Pettersson in really good but c'moon, not 13 000 000 offer sheet good omg
maybe 9,5 mill worth. Tops.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
We offer EP 1 year at $13M, but have an 8-year extension in place at a more reasonable cap hit in order to actually make losing the four 1sts palatable.

My understanding it that while you could discuss potential extensions, you couldn't have another contract in place until midway through the season, so you would need to deal with the risk that Pettersson doesn't sign, forcing you to make a $13M qualifying offer or allowing him to become a UFA. For context, in this situation, this is a player that just made a total mercenary move to go to a bottom feeder.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
My understanding it that while you could discuss potential extensions, you couldn't have another contract in place until midway through the season, so you would need to deal with the risk that Pettersson doesn't sign, forcing you to make a $13M qualifying offer or allowing him to become a UFA. For context, in this situation, this is a player that just made a total mercenary move to go to a bottom feeder.
Right it would be a handshake agreement to extend him at that point, but I think it's not impossible for such a thing to be talked about and agreed upon. If you get Pettersson to the negotiating table, I'm sure something could be worked out to get a more reasonable extension in place.

Now, I don't think the Wings are going to do something like that just yet, but Stevie has certainly positioned to the roster to remain as flexible as reasonably possible for the next few seasons at least.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
The only guy I'd offer sheet for four 1sts currently in the league is McDavid. Maybe I'd consider it if the Wings were in a TB state where you know those four 1sts will be in the 20-30 range, but then you run in the obvious cap issues. Pettersson is no where near proven enough to give up that many 1sts. You could probably get a guy like Eichel for 3 or even 2 and a good prospect.

With that said I really don't think the Wings are close to a bottom 5 team if we add Petterson. I'd actually be quite geeked about that lineup especially at forward. Defense still has questions, but I think it will at least be better than last years, which wasn't terrible defensively. They just couldn't move the puck well and adding Leddy and Seider will help there.

Zadina-Petterson-Vrana
Bert- Larkin- Fabbri
Erne-Suter-Berggren/Raymond
Namestikov/Gagner-Ras-Smith
Gagne/Namestikov

Hronek- DDK
Seider- Leddy
Stecher- Staal
Lindstrom

Ned
Greiss

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
Soooo, you are saying that, Pettersson is 7 million worth more = that he is that much better what Kotkaniemi.

Nobody is saying he is worth 13 million, the point is it would take 13 million to pry him away from the nucks, 9.5 would be instantly matched, that's the whole point of this entire thread.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
If Pettersson cares about winning, then why would he sign with the red wings? It makes zero sense. This version of the team has proved nothing, they have been a bottom feeder for multiple seasons, and they don't project to contend any time soon. They would need their future firsts to build around EP, but it's hardly the right moment for the wings to go all in.
Not gonna happen

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
They won't be in the Bottom10 when adding Pettersson and Seider. Mostly are pushing for the playoffs.

That is a massive, massive stretch.

I like the start to their rebuild but they are several years away. Robby Fabbri is their third best forward currently.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I like the start to their rebuild but they are several years away. Robby Fabbri is their third best forward currently.

Larkin, Bertuzzi and Vrana are all considerably better than Fabbri for me, and you hope Zadina passes him this year. I like Fabbri but once you're a good team he shouldn't hit your top 6. I hope as Raymond and Berggren filter in he winds up on the third line or is dealt for something that helps Yzerman continue to shape his roster. Yzerman's had an interesting off-season, I don't think he plans on being out of the bottom ten this year. So I agree that the Wings don't have a ton of feeling like they are springing for big things this year. I thought it was a good overhaul though and they should be a little more competitive, hopefully the lottery finally smiles on them.

This just doesn't strike me as a move he is going to make at this time. I do think we are getting closer to bigger more aggressive moves, but I expect that more at the deadline and next summer. He has worked pretty hard to get all this flexibility, I think he is going to use it for just a little bit longer. Wright would be a massive win, you could basically exit the rebuild there, but again the odds are long on that.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Yeah, actually he is. In the world where KK is paid, you know, the 2.5 million he's worth... Then Pettersson at 9.5M is totally fine.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

I did use the Jfresh team roster builder on their site, did put Seider there as a bit better version they expect. After that Red Wings were 81-point team.

When adding Pettersson (after offersheet, losing only future picks), they got 9 points more being 90-point team. Still maybe not a playoff team, but my idea was clear, not a near of draft lottery, picks will be at 15th overall range.

Idiots won't understand or refuse undestanding the team state.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
The 08-09 Leafs had 81 points and then traded for Phil Kessel. No way any of the picks they traded were going to be lottery picks, right?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What would happen?

Same styled as Kotkaniemi deal. 1-year, 13M.

Bergevin’s private investigator is confirming that Francesco Aquilini is having cash flow problems. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad