Proposal: Red Wings offer-sheets Pettersson for 13 million

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Wonder a team don't offer sheet Pettersson for something like 10 million? Then sign a cheaper extension in January. Like Canes did with Koktaniemi.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Detroit fan here...no way.

Not that Pettersson isn't a great player, but that number also becomes his qualifying number.

Also, giving up those picks in a rebuild is short sighted and foolish.
As a Canuck fan I would take the picks. Exactly like you said, great player but 4 unprotected 1sts from a rebuilding team would be short sighted and foolish for the Wings.

Reactions: Ciao

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Wonder a team don't offer sheet Pettersson for something like 10 million? Then sign a cheaper extension in January. Like Canes did with Koktaniemi.

Canucks would match that easily, then give Quin Hughes whatever they feel like since he has no leverage (as he is offersheet ineligible); also as a F. U. to his sports agency whom also represents Elias Pettersson.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I did use the Jfresh team roster builder on their site, did put Seider there as a bit better version they expect. After that Red Wings were 81-point team.

When adding Pettersson (after offersheet, losing only future picks), they got 9 points more being 90-point team. Still maybe not a playoff team, but my idea was clear, not a near of draft lottery, picks will be at 15th overall range.

Idiots won't understand or refuse undestanding the team state.

Yes for sure, the classic - "People that disagree with are idiots". Very persuasive. Putting some stuff in a model is pretty useless, you have to dodge that bullet four years a in row. 2016-17 the Oilers were a 103 point team that went to game 7 of round 2. The following year, we were 9th in the lottery and ended up picking 10th, after a 78 point regular season. Sure, the first the model is magically right and the pick is 12-15. Is it going to be right the next year, or the year after that? Teams regress hard in very short notice.

The point is that the risk is simply to high, if you're going to do some bonkers 13M for Pettersson you might as well just offer 11.5x6 or something. Then you don't have to fart around with the QO every year. Still wouldn't do it because if anyone of those four 1sts is top 5, its probably really bad, and that money increases the cost of all your star players - doesn't mean we are "idiots".

Reactions: notsocommonsense

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
They won't be in the Bottom10 when adding Pettersson and Seider. Mostly are pushing for the playoffs.

I wouldn’t be counting chicken before they hatch . Edmonton had McDavid , Draisaitl and still missed the playoffs. It is a team sport 2 players do not make a team .

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
you could offer sheet at 8.1 and screw them over signing him and Hughes. Less compensation if it works.

Hughes is 10.2c, exempt from offer sheets.
As for Petey, if Detroit wants to gift us 4 of their 1sts and sign him for $11 million+, if we haven't replaced him already I'd be happy next offseason to sign someone like Barzal for ~$9 million to replace him (costs 2 * 1st's, 2nd, 3rd). Two extra early picks and a comparable young center from another cap-strapped team would be a steal.

Reactions: gianni

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Qualifying offers make this a terrible idea for Detroit. To avoid Petey becoming a UFA, they have to keep offering him $13 mil (or let him walk straight to UFA), and of course he’d keep taking that. Petey is great, but in a cap world, Petey at $13 mil is a problem, not an asset. You don’t give up 4 1sts just to brutally overpay.

Reactions: Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
That is a massive, massive stretch.

I like the start to their rebuild but they are several years away. Robby Fabbri is their third best forward currently.

Bertuzzi and Suter are definitely better than Fabbri.

Fabbri is an awful possession player and can't drive offense at all, his one saving grace is his finishing was very good last season in a small sample size. He's not a top 6 player.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
If Petersson is playing hardball this offseason as an rfa, why would he settle for a cheap extension next year as an rfa with more leverage?

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I did use the Jfresh team roster builder on their site, did put Seider there as a bit better version they expect. After that Red Wings were 81-point team.

When adding Pettersson (after offersheet, losing only future picks), they got 9 points more being 90-point team. Still maybe not a playoff team, but my idea was clear, not a near of draft lottery, picks will be at 15th overall range.

Idiots won't understand or refuse undestanding the team state.

Sounds like Brian Burke used Jfresh when he traded for Phil Kessel.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Best bet would be to offer sheet him for 2 years at the threshold of the 1st + 2nd + 3rd compensation - $8,221,462 average. Then backload it so the qualifying offer is crazy. The max for that would be $5,4809,974 in year one and $10,961,948 in year 2. Basically costs $11 mil to qualify him in 2 years. Maybe the Nucks would be good with that, maybe not, but I'm sure it messes with their long term plan a bit (depending whether you think EP is an 11million player in 2 years).

Reactions: ponder

cc

Feb 28, 2002
This would be a massive gamble for Detroit to do this. While it's true on paper, Pettersson can greatly improve the team's performance to take them out of lottery contention, the team can end up being decimated by injuries or have a have key players young players experiencing extended slumps to take them to a top 5 pick. Pettersson is good but even McDavid is hard pressed to take the Oilers to the playoffs. This kind of plan could really blow up in Yzerman's face.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
He would be overpaid only for 1 year and then the long extension is made with normal reasonable caphit, like 8M.

Point is to get the guy.

4 x first round pick could a pipeline of "Svechnikov, Cholowski, Rasmussen, Zadina".

Yzerman isn't going to call up Holland and ask him to make the picks for him, first off. Second off Detroit still isn't a playoff team with Pettersson, so those are 4 lottery picks, with no real hope of the team adding talent in the exact window Detroit needs to be adding more talent.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Best bet would be to offer sheet him for 2 years at the threshold of the 1st + 2nd + 3rd compensation - $8,221,462 average. Then backload it so the qualifying offer is crazy. The max for that would be $5,4809,974 in year one and $10,961,948 in year 2. Basically costs $11 mil to qualify him in 2 years. Maybe the Nucks would be good with that, maybe not, but I'm sure it messes with their long term plan a bit (depending whether you think EP is an 11million player in 2 years).
If the Canucks wouldn't want to pay 11 mil to Petersson in two years, then why would the team that gives the offer sheet?

I don't understand the endless confusion here. Take any contract structured in any way that Vancouver wouldn't match. Imagine that contract. Envision it. If it's too horrible for Vancouver to sign... then no other team will make that offer sheet. And that doesn't even include the picks...

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
As for Petey, if Detroit wants to gift us 4 of their 1sts and sign him for $11 million+, if we haven't replaced him already I'd be happy next offseason to sign someone like Barzal for ~$9 million to replace him (costs 2 * 1st's, 2nd, 3rd). Two extra early picks and a comparable young center from another cap-strapped team would be a steal.

That could work. However, I wouldn't want the Canucks to wait until next year to make a splash, as it's unknown if Matthew Barzal will have an extension by then or not.

I'd prefer the Canucks to offer sheet Brady Tkachuk this off-season (if the Wings give up four 1sts for EP), and move JT Miller to center full-time. And maybe there'd be enough money to sign a Tyler Bozak as a 3C?

Brady Tkachuk-JT Miller-Brock Boeser
Conor Garland-Bo Horvat-Nils Hoglander
Tanner Pearson-Tyler Bozak-Vasili Podkolzin
Tyler Motte-Jason Dickinson-Brandon Sutter

Really curious at what salary number/pick compensation the Sens would let Brady Tkachuk walk at? There seems to be less pressure to match w/ the Habs letting Jesperi Kotkaniemi leave.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
This would be the best “screw over the Nucks” offer, but wouldn’t do anything for Detroit. The Nucks would definitely match. Detroit would get nothing but a vengeful Nucks team screwing them over with their own RFAs in the future.

Similar to the Montreal/Carolina situation - at the end of the day both teams came out behind, only the players came out ahead with larger contracts than they’d otherwise get (especially Kotka).

This would be dope for Petey, though. At the end of that deal he could just take 2 very nice $11 mil qualifying offers, then become a UFA real young and get a truly insane deal.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014

The CBA has changed. It is now 120% of the AAV of the contract, and not 100% of their final year base salary. Qualifying offer would be 9.84M (based on a 8.2M AVV).

Key Salary Cap Changes in new CBA | Puckpedia

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
$10 mill would get matched. Canucks per capfriendly show $10.6 mill but that includes ferland’s $3.5 mill. As well it lists 14F and 8D signed without Ferland. Once Hughes and Petey sign they will get down to 23 players sending $2.3 mill to the A. So hey have $16 mill to spend.

if you want a rfa via OS you have to be prepared to really over pay them. KK was worth $2.5 mill. Guys with arbitration rights like Fabbri and McCann got $3 mill per over 2 years. KK didn’t have that kind of leverage so wouldn’t get more than that.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
A move like this is exactly why many NHL teams are struggling under this cap system. The entire point of this system was to ensure each team is drafting and developing to produce a on ice product that has clear aspirations of winning a cup and a competitiveness for many years and through that system you would then based on. Production and team titles stanley cup or conference finals a increased salary as your youth progresses through their contracts. Example toews and kane didn't receive their final salary until after cup number 3 that's how you manage you salary cap.

Look at edmonton they offered huge salaries to draisaetil and McDavid and still have struggled.

The formula is there look at Pittsburgh. LA, Chicago and Tampa, Boston

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
Really curious at what salary number/pick compensation the Sens would let Brady Tkachuk walk at? There seems to be less pressure to match w/ the Habs letting Jesperi Kotkaniemi leave.
Most of us Sens fans are pretty much expecting him to get the same contract as Chabot (8x8) so you would probably have to be in the high 9 million range to get Ottawa to even consider taking picks. Hes had a lot of great chemistry with his line mates, on and off the ice and Management is trying to show they are serious about getting ready to compete in the playoffs. They also have a massive amount of cap room.

Reactions: gianni

Altimus

Probably drunk
Sponsor
Jan 21, 2006
West end Ottawa
I wasnt suggesting offersheeting Hughes, but they have to sign him. Vancouver has 10.6million of space left right now(on cap friendly) so an 8.1M contract only leaves them 2.5M for Hughes which probably isnt close enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad