RD Jett Woo (2018, 37th, VAN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He will get destroyed in the KHL mate... The SHL or Liiga are a better fit.

Those leagues don't usually invite young Canadians, probably because they have enough of young Finns and Swedes. As to Kunlun, they will definitely need more Chinese.

I think, he's got a good chance to play at the Olympics 2022, so he should get connected to China as soon as possible.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Those leagues don't usually invite young Canadians, probably because they have enough of young Finns and Swedes. As to Kunlun, they will definitely need more Chinese.

I think, he's got a good chance to play at the Olympics 2022, so he should get connected to China as soon as possible.
He needs to play in a Chinese league or have residency there for 2 and a half years or so to be deemed eligible. Plus, that isn't even an option because he has already represented Canada at an IIHF certified event (2016 IIHF U-18's).

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He needs to play in a Chinese league or have residency there for 2 and a half years or so to be deemed eligible. Plus, that isn't even an option because he has already represented Canada at an IIHF certified event (2016 IIHF U-18's).

I think, Chinese citizenship will be enough, if he gets it soon enough. As to WJC U18, it was 1.5 years ago, and it's more than 3 years left till the Olympics.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
31 points in 30 games.

Definitely unexpected because i never knew he had this kind of offense in him.

Dont know where he stands now but its impressive as an 18 year old.

He will play big minutes for the WJC next year hopefully.

Only returnees next year from this years team would be Dobson, McIsaac and Smith

Bernard-Docker and Addison will also have chances to make it who were cut this year.

The 2019 class isnt that good outside of Byram...

Woo should make it.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I shudder at the thought of how bad the Chinese team is going to be in 2022.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Does anyone have a scouting report on how he’s doing this season? Obviously his offense is way up and looks very impressive on paper. What about defensively? Overall how’s he looking? I never get to watch him play.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004

All that means is he'd have to play in China for four years and not just two.

And Kunlun would qualify for nationality purposes, per the IIHF.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
All that means is he'd have to play in China for four years and not just two.

And Kunlun would qualify for nationality purposes, per the IIHF.
Well, considering he is playing in Canada right now, probably trying to get a WJC spot, it is already too late to go to China and become eligible for 2022. Which is what the discussion was about.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Does anyone have a scouting report on how he’s doing this season? Obviously his offense is way up and looks very impressive on paper. What about defensively? Overall how’s he looking? I never get to watch him play.

His defence and physical play has always been his top attributes, what was always in question was his offensive game and it looks like he stepped it up this year. He is on track to being a top 4 defenceman in the NHL, best case scenario is Shea Weber.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
His defence and physical play has always been his top attributes, what was always in question was his offensive game and it looks like he stepped it up this year. He is on track to being a top 4 defenceman in the NHL, best case scenario is Shea Weber.
I liked everything you said right up to the words ‘Shea Weber’. Really no chance of that happening. But looks like he could be maybe a solid number 3 if all goes well.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
I liked everything you said right up to the words ‘Shea Weber’. Really no chance of that happening. But looks like he could be maybe a solid number 3 if all goes well.

I said best case scenario, whether he hits it is entirely up to him but he has possesses the same traits as Weber in terms of style of play.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Yeah I see no chance of prime Shea Weber.

Perhaps a similar player to Seabrook? Both very physical, maybe Seabrook has higher offensive skills but both solid physical and defensively sound.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I know a couple NHL people quite well and there are 2 dmen that they say the consensus amongst many NHL scouts that watch WHL say the most impressive dmen with best NHL potential and play the game hard from the WHL are Alex Alexeyev(CAPS) and Jett Woo(Canucks)..

One thing that the scouts love about Woo is his agressive play and hitting ability. You dont see that much from players nowadays and the scouts drool over it

Last edited:

Sheik Yerbouti

Sep 12, 2008
I know a couple NHL people quite well and there are 2 dmen that they say the consensus amongst many NHL scouts that watch WHL say the most impressive dmen with best NHL potential and play the game hard from the WHL are Alex Alexeyev(CAPS) and Jett Woo(Canucks)..

One thing that the scouts love about Woo is his agressive play and hitting ability. You dont see that much from players nowadays and the scouts drool over it

I'm no scout but the little I've watched Jett play I saw the same things. It was the little details in his game that you don't often see from junior players that stood out. He always made the smart safe play with the puck in his own zone, little deft chips and passes to forwards that were very NHL level and the kinda plays that coaches expect that usually needs to be taught to younger defenders or plays that they never get. Whether Jett's offensive skills ever translate is impossible to judge but I saw top 4 potential for sure out of Jett when I saw him play.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
Haven’t watched him at all so I have no idea if this anywhere close to accurate, but his development curve sounds eerily similar to Travis Hamonic. Always known as a hard nosed defensive d-man and his offense exploded his d+1 year.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
This prospect is not getting enough recognition. 45 pts in 44 gamed while being a shutdown dman.

Top 6 in WHL Dman scoring alongside names like Ty Smith, Josh Brooks, Calen Addison eventhough Woo is regarded to be a lockdown defence 1st Dman.

Hes having a massive D+1 year especially for a 2nd rnder.

Lots of recent reports has him stylistically compared to a Vlasic style with Phaneuf edge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad