RD Jett Woo (2018, 37th, VAN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
No. Woo plays with Dalton Hamuliuk. Theyre the top pairing shutdown pair. Brook handles the offensive zone situations.
Gotcha. He does see PP time with brook tho right?

Wanted to draft woo in my keeper last year, but he got sniped a pick or two before me lol.

Honestly a tad surprised with his offensive output! Nice to see. If he puts it all together he could be a real pain in the ass to play against in the NHL

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Gotcha. He does see PP time with brook tho right?

Wanted to draft woo in my keeper last year, but he got sniped a pick or two before me lol.

Honestly a tad surprised with his offensive output! Nice to see. If he puts it all together he could be a real pain in the ass to play against in the NHL

Woo in a keeper? Is it a deep keeper

I dont think his offensive outburst this year will translate in the NHL.

I think he will be a really good 2 way dman w edge.

Ive compared his game to Vlasic/Hamonic type

Probably hovers
around 25 -35 pts on average per year in his prime

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto

Probably hovers

Very deep keeper league :)

30 teams
Full entry draft
Two round waiver
50 contracted players
90 total players

On year 8 or something like that

25-35 points a year for a punishing and shutdown defender would be fantastic for any team I think.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I really didn't like this pick at the time. Woo is looking great though, and is playing like a 1st rounder at the very least.

Canucks loved WOO a ton going into the draft. Theres a video out there showing that they would have traded the 2nd rnd pick if Woo was ofd the board

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
He looks like a good pick to this point, but he's not putting up numbers at the NHL level.

Depends what you mean by "numbers". Is he going to be a point-per-game guy in the pros? Definitely not. But the ability to be a point-per-game guy at the junior level means he should at least be a functional offensive player in the pros, given that he doesn't appear to have any major deficiencies as a skater.

Similar, offense-wise, to a guy Vlasic or Hamhuis - a guy that can play a role in the transition game and not be a black hole out there. Depending on the team situation, and assuming he stays on this development path, he could pretty conceivably put up 30-40 points.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Depending on the team situation, and assuming he stays on this development path, he could pretty conceivably put up 30-40 points.
I dunno, 40 seems a little optimistic. Long way to go from the WHL to the big leagues. I think absolute best case scenario would be 20-30 points with good two way game and physicality. I’d be over the moon if he ended up being a 40 point guy, but I just think it’s not very likely.

As a comparison, Provorov scored above a PPG in both years in the WHL. He scored 73 in 62 in his D+1. Provorov scored 40 points for the Flyers last year. I don’t see Woo scoring 73 this year and he’s not the same level of prospect as Provorov was imo. He is having a great season though so here’s hoping he keeps it going. A lot to be excited about with Woo.

Reactions: Robongo01

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I dunno, 40 seems a little optimistic. Long way to go from the WHL to the big leagues. I think absolute best case scenario would be 20-30 points with good two way game and physicality. I’d be over the moon if he ended up being a 40 point guy, but I just think it’s not very likely.

As a comparison, Provorov scored above a PPG in both years in the WHL. He scored 73 in 62 in his D+1. Provorov scored 40 points for the Flyers last year. I don’t see Woo scoring 73 this year and he’s not the same level of prospect as Provorov was imo. He is having a great season though so here’s hoping he keeps it going. A lot to be excited about with Woo.

I dont think 40 pts is out of the question. It wont be an every year thing but you never know. If he plays w someone like Hughes for example ot if the Canucks have a high powered offence.

A similar comparion offensively and edge wise thats been made of Woo's game is Kevin Bieksa.

Bieksa put up a cpl of 40 pt season and with the way that the offence is now ramped up in the NHL i wouldnt put it past Woo.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Probably hovers

I see him like this, probably a better version of peak Kevin Bieksa maybe?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Kid plays really physical also, cant be unnoticed

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC

I think it's genuinely pretty difficult to put a hard cap on defenders' potential for offense given that a vast majority will depend on their time spent on the PP.

I agree Woo isn't going to be a guy to push the play at even strength, at least not to the extent that he would be considered a high-end offensive defender, but if he finds a solid role on a good PP unit, I think he's shown the baseline skill level to not be a hindrance in that role, and will put up a respectable amount of points as a result.

As a prime example, I wouldn't consider a guy like Brent Seabrook an offensive dynamo, but he had those near-50-point years because of the caliber of his teammates. Seabrook may actually be my favourite comparison for Woo, though he didn't come close to the production that Woo has thus far in junior.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Woo can be a really effective player at the NHL level without big points, that would be gravy. He looks like he has the tools and mindset to be an ideal, versatile second pairing defender though. The Bieksa comparison is interesting in terms of blend of skill set but he probably doesn’t have Bieksa’s shot or Superman punch out ability but will be way smarter and more effective defensively.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Canucks loved WOO a ton going into the draft. Theres a video out there showing that they would have traded the 2nd rnd pick if Woo was ofd the board
Thanks for that. I wasn't aware. I know the video about Kole Lind from the prior year, but didn't know they were that high on Woo last year. If his game translates to the NHL, that would be crazy huge for the Canucks.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I could see Woo and McIsaac being a pretty scary pairing for Canada at the WJC next year. Use them as the shut down pair potentially.

Or it might make sense to separate them and have a hammer on the first and second pairings. I like Woo going into the draft and not surprised hes looking good this season. He was one of the guys I wanted with the late first/early second rounders that the wings had. I think he would go in the first round if a re draft was held right now

turkeyslurpees

Aug 26, 2018
Detroit
I could see Woo and McIsaac being a pretty scary pairing for Canada at the WJC next year. Use them as the shut down pair potentially.

Or it might make sense to separate them and have a hammer on the first and second pairings. I like Woo going into the draft and not surprised hes looking good this season. He was one of the guys I wanted with the late first/early second rounders that the wings had. I think he would go in the first round if a re draft was held right now
I like Berggren and think he could turn out to be a player but in hindsight grabbing McIsaac and Woo would’ve been amazing for our D prospect pool. 2019 looks to be the year to stock up on forwards.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Thanks for that. I wasn't aware. I know the video about Kole Lind from the prior year, but didn't know they were that high on Woo last year. If his game translates to the NHL, that would be crazy huge for the Canucks.

Ya heres the video.

Fenton and Wild offer 63 and 86. Canucks reject it because they wanted Woo. They do say tho that if Woo is gone they make that trade.

Doug Armstrong and Blues also call but Canucks reject it as well as they wanted Woo.

Side note: look how happy the Canucks management is when Detroit takes Zadina over Hughes. I for sure thought Hughes was going to Detroit since he has Michigan ties and Wings needing Dmen.

Reactions: slumpy43

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
Ya heres the video.

Fenton and Wild offer 63 and 86. Canucks reject it because they wanted Woo. They do say tho that if Woo is gone they make that trade.

Doug Armstrong and Blues also call but Canucks reject it as well as they wanted Woo.

Side note: look how happy the Canucks management is when Detroit takes Zadina over Hughes. I for sure thought Hughes was going to Detroit since he has Michigan ties and Wings needing Dmen.

Very cool, much appreciated.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Where does Woo rank among CHL defensemen at this point? Can't believe he's still only 18.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Where does Woo rank among CHL defensemen at this point? Can't believe he's still only 18.

Out west I would say hes behind Smith, Brook, Byram, and possibly Alexeyev. In the OHL behind Bouchard but I would say similar level to Wilde and Boqvist. In the Q, behind Dobson and McIsaac probably behind Beaudin or at least similar level. Behind Justin Barron if you want to count him as well.

SO at best I could see him maybe being 6 or 7th but hes probably a couple spots lower than that overall

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Out west I would say hes behind Smith, Brook, Byram, and possibly Alexeyev. In the OHL behind Bouchard but I would say similar level to Wilde and Boqvist. In the Q, behind Dobson and McIsaac probably behind Beaudin or at least similar level. Behind Justin Barron if you want to count him as well.

SO at best I could see him maybe being 6 or 7th but hes probably a couple spots lower than that overall

Don’t watch much junior so would be more than happy if he’s a top ten junior d man for where he was picked.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad