RD Jett Woo (2018, 37th, VAN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Nice! I’m in a very similar league, let me know if there’s ever any openings in yours!
Very deep keeper league :)

30 teams
Full entry draft
Two round waiver
50 contracted players
90 total players

On year 8 or something like that

25-35 points a year for a punishing and shutdown defender would be fantastic for any team I think.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Don’t watch much junior so would be more than happy if he’s a top ten junior d man for where he was picked.

For an early second rounder thats not that unusual though I dont think. From his draft I only rated him above one dman playing junior that was drafted ahead of him (merkley) and the year before that there were hardly any canadian junior D drafted early. Foote isnt in junior now and I ranked him ahead of PO Joseph. I also ranked him behind Brook who is a mid second rounder.

So hes still a really solid prospect but I have him maybe passing one or two guys and at least one guy passing him type deal. Looking through those drafts it seems like its been really weak the last couple years for CHL dmen

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Ya heres the video.

Fenton and Wild offer 63 and 86. Canucks reject it because they wanted Woo. They do say tho that if Woo is gone they make that trade.

Doug Armstrong and Blues also call but Canucks reject it as well as they wanted Woo.

Side note: look how happy the Canucks management is when Detroit takes Zadina over Hughes. I for sure thought Hughes was going to Detroit since he has Michigan ties and Wings needing Dmen.

That draft looks amazing for Vancouver.

Hugues, Woo and Madden could be franchise defining.

Reactions: Hawkyknowledge

tfu92

Nov 8, 2018
Nucks fan,

Im really excited about woo just because he excels at exactly what hughes doesnt. At this moment, it seems a hughes woo pairing fits perfectly. He covers all of hughes deficiencies perfectly.

I also think if he runs 1st pairing when the EP40 line is on while 5v5, he can very realistically get 40 points. If you play 22-24min a night with high scoring forwards and your d pairing also gets 50+ points, you can literally either shoot the puck on net or dump it deep and STILL collect 40 points. Think kevin bieksa and his 40 point seasons playing with the MVP sedin seasons.

Our swedish and american scouting has been spot on in recent years thanks to brackett and gradin. One or 2 more good picks this year and i think we can build a really strong team

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Out west I would say hes behind Smith, Brook, Byram, and possibly Alexeyev. In the OHL behind Bouchard but I would say similar level to Wilde and Boqvist. In the Q, behind Dobson and McIsaac probably behind Beaudin or at least similar level. Behind Justin Barron if you want to count him as well.

SO at best I could see him maybe being 6 or 7th but hes probably a couple spots lower than that overall

Where would you rank Boqvist in a re-draft?

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Nucks fan,

Im really excited about woo just because he excels at exactly what hughes doesnt. At this moment, it seems a hughes woo pairing fits perfectly. He covers all of hughes deficiencies perfectly.

I also think if he runs 1st pairing when the EP40 line is on while 5v5, he can very realistically get 40 points. If you play 22-24min a night with high scoring forwards and your d pairing also gets 50+ points, you can literally either shoot the puck on net or dump it deep and STILL collect 40 points. Think kevin bieksa and his 40 point seasons playing with the MVP sedin seasons.

Our swedish and american scouting has been spot on in recent years thanks to brackett and gradin. One or 2 more good picks this year and i think we can build a really strong team
Woo’s Canadian, did you mean North American scouting?

Either way, I would advise a degree of calm. I love Woo but he has a ways to go before he reaches the NHL, much less becomes a first pairing d-man. Hope he gets there, though.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Where would you rank Boqvist in a re-draft?

I was never a Boqvist fan so dont trust my ranking to be where most people would have him. I would have him behind Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson and Smith in that draft. As a wings fan I'm not sure I would trade McIsaac for him, theres also guys like Beaudin and Sandin that I think are comparable prospects that could go either way in a re-draft

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What are Woo'd weaknesses at this point? What most needs improving?

At this point his main weakness is probably consistency in his physical game and being confident in his ability to skate with the puck. He also needs to work on his play in the offensive zone as he sometimes make small mistakes in how he moves the puck and handles pressure. It's good but there is room for improvement. Had a great game tonight, 2 assists and a fight. Bit off a little more than he could chew there but he survived and got in a couple good punches of his own.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
At this point his main weakness is probably consistency in his physical game and being confident in his ability to skate with the puck. He also needs to work on his play in the offensive zone as he sometimes make small mistakes in how he moves the puck and handles pressure. It's good but there is room for improvement. Had a great game tonight, 2 assists and a fight. Bit off a little more than he could chew there but he survived and got in a couple good punches of his own.
Thanks for the update

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
I like the Bieksa comparison.

Plays with an edge. Has the potential to put up 25-35 points. Is prone to bone headed plays trying to be physical.

I think he will be a nice 2nd dman. Maybe a less talented Hjalmorsson that played on the Hawks. (spelling?)

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I like the Bieksa comparison.

Plays with an edge. Has the potential to put up 25-35 points. Is prone to bone headed plays trying to be physical.

I think he will be a nice 2nd dman. Maybe a less talented Hjalmorsson that played on the Hawks. (spelling?)

I'll probably catch some flak for this but he reminds me a bit of Duncan Keith when he played for the Rockets. Physical, good defensively and has a lot of offensive potential he has yet to fully unlock. Hell of a puck mover and two-way dmen who isn't amazing on the PP but can be a decent QB. Hard to say what his ceiling is but I think he has a good shot at becoming a 3-5 kind of guy, with upside.

JT63

Jan 20, 2013
What's up with Jett this season? I don't watch the WHL, but his production seems low. Being deployed in a more defensive role, I take it?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
His points are way down from last season. Is he playing way worse? Has he regressed? Or maybe just playing a different role with the Hitmen?

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
His points are way down from last season. Is he playing way worse? Has he regressed? Or maybe just playing a different role with the Hitmen?

He was on one of the best PP's in the WHL last year and isn't this year. Still playing well as far as I've heard game wise

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Plus on the PP, Calgary already has/had Zamula there and he has done well. He earned the trust last year and this year has continued that...2nd in the WHL in PPG for Dmen at 1.05 PPG. So Woo doesn't likely get as much prime PP time as before.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
For some reason I get Matt Dumba as a comparable for him
Don’t really see it - similar builds and physicality, but Dumba was on another level in terms of skating and offensive ability at the same age, while Woo plays a safer, simpler game. I’d compare him more to a smaller David Savard personally.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad