RD Jett Woo (2018, 37th, VAN)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He has to sign a contract with Kunlun for a couple of season. They will play him a lot as a Chinese, and there is a chance, he'll play at the Olympics for Team China, he isn't NHL ready anyway.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It's only fitting he plays for the Jets.

Need a RHD.
His name starts as Jet with an extra T.
He'd sell a ton of jerseys, and we Woo him if he were to be a member of the Jets.

Yet again the Canucks Woo as a chant after a goal.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He has to sign a contract with Kunlun for a couple of season. They will play him a lot as a Chinese, and there is a chance, he'll play at the Olympics for Team China, he isn't NHL ready anyway.
We already signed him to a elc.....

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
It's only fitting he plays for the Jets.

Need a RHD.
His name starts as Jet with an extra T.
He'd sell a ton of jerseys, and we Woo him if he were to be a member of the Jets.

Yet again the Canucks Woo as a chant after a goal.

On the topic of chants, we also have a D named Hughes. I cannot wait to hear "Woo Hugh!" thunder at rogers arena.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He is not going to play for China. What even is this.

there is KHL team based in China, that seems to be targeting Chinese decent players. Brandon Yip is their captain, I will assume that's where he got that idea that they will approach him. We are going to do whatever it takes to develop Woo in our system at least for the time being.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Is that even possible? Didn’t he already play for Canada inWJC?

He didn't play in the WJC but he did play in the IIHF U18. In order to play for China he would need to play for a team in China for four consecutive years and drop his Canadian citizenship and acquire Chinese citizenship. Seems very unlikely.

Reactions: wetcoast

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
He didn't play in the WJC but he did play in the IIHF U18. In order to play for China he would need to play for a team in China for four consecutive years and drop his Canadian citizenship and acquire Chinese citizenship. Seems very unlikely.
When he still has chance to make NHL. If he fails to do it, then it will be another story.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
When he still has chance to make NHL. If he fails to do it, then it will be another story.

Who knows. I imagine that having to give up his Canadian citizenship for Chinese citizenship could be a significant obstacle regardless of his NHL aspirations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pia8988

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Who knows. I imagine that having to give up his Canadian citizenship for Chinese citizenship could be a significant obstacle regardless of his NHL aspirations.

Countries that do not allow dual citizenship usually have special circumstances where they are given/allowed. You basically have to prove that you are of great importance to the country in one way or another. In this case, it's very possible he could get one.

Reactions: GrizzGreen

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
How was his season this year? Barely heard anything.

His D+2 year was a down year compared to his D+1.

Time will tell if he gets his promise back, at this point it is a very legitimate question if he ever carves out even a short NHL career.

Reactions: IComeInPeace

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Too early to say - how his AHL season pans out next year will give us a lot more light.

IMHO he's a good bet to be an NHL regular it's just a question of middle pairing upside vs bottom pairing.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
His D+2 year was a down year compared to his D+1.

Time will tell if he gets his promise back, at this point it is a very legitimate question if he ever carves out even a short NHL career.
It's still very likely he becomes a nhler. Only question is how much offense will he produce. Tanev is a realistic outcome for a career. As for this past year Calgary used him in a much more defensive role than the Warriors had and he did need time to adjust to the different style of coaching.

Reactions: Hughes Unleashed

Love

Feb 29, 2012
It's still very likely he becomes a nhler. Only question is how much offense will he produce. Tanev is a realistic outcome for a career. As for this past year Calgary used him in a much more defensive role than the Warriors had and he did need time to adjust to the different style of coaching.

If he becomes Tanev that’s a huge win for us especially because that type of defenceman is a perfect partner for Hughes

Reactions: SiZ and Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
If he becomes Tanev that’s a huge win for us especially because that type of defenceman is a perfect partner for Hughes
Gotta love the kid’s name too. Jet Woo. As soon as he suits up fir an NHL game his name goes to the top of the Best Names list.

Reactions: Love

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I was pretty high on this player predraft. How is he doing and how close is he to making the NHL?
He's not a point machine in the AHL [yet] but he has offensive upside and he is currently playing the steady-guy on Rathbone's line.
They're both pro rookies but everyone says they look great together. Looks like Woo will get solid minutes this season, which is good for his trajectory.
Woo has been at his best when playing with other offensively talented defenseman (his best junior season was when he was playing with Josh Brook)
As of right now it's ideal he stays in the AHL and gets as many big minutes as possible, and hopefully some PP time to round out his game.
Most people think Rathbone is close to NHL-ready, so Woo is going to need to show he can be above-average in an all-around capacity in the AHL regardless of who he plays with.

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
He's not a point machine in the AHL [yet] but he has offensive upside and he is currently playing the steady-guy on Rathbone's line.
They're both pro rookies but everyone says they look great together. Looks like Woo will get solid minutes this season, which is good for his trajectory.
Woo has been at his best when playing with other offensively talented defenseman (his best junior season was when he was playing with Josh Brook)
As of right now it's ideal he stays in the AHL and gets as many big minutes as possible, and hopefully some PP time to round out his game.
Most people think Rathbone is close to NHL-ready, so Woo is going to need to show he can be above-average in an all-around capacity in the AHL regardless of who he plays with.

he didn’t play on the same pairing as Josh Brook though...

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’m a Canuck fan, so of course hopeful Woo is a player. He’s going to need to physically mature more before he hes getting a sniff in the NHL though. He plays a physical defensive minded style. He needs to be stronger to play that way in the National League. He’s a year or more away.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I was pretty high on this player predraft. How is he doing and how close is he to making the NHL?

He is at least a few years away at this point. He has some upside, and has looked good with Rathbone in Utica this year. Like the majority of 2nd rounders and beyond he has some nice tools, but has some challenges to work through as well. A good B level prospect.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Woo good, will get some NHL games next season. Fell off the radar last year and not much hope but putting together a nice season in the AHL this year. If not games next year will probably be the Utica #1 d and look to the 2022-23 season as a Canuck starter

You know if Benning doesnt trade him for someone like Clendening or Chiarot ;)

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Woo has been impressive and excellent defensively so far in Utica. It's been surprising actually, he has been the Comets best Dman year long, though Rathbone being added within the past few games might change that.

He is very smart and rarely out of position, shows good movement, breaks up plays and sends the puck the other way quickly, both with accurate breakout passes or skating it himself. He doesn't back down or give space physically, and stands up for his teammates. I've been surprised with how much he jumps into the rush or sneaks in from the point for a one timer too.

Frankly, with the shortened season I might want him to play a full year next season and really get that slow cook action for his game, but he looks like he could be playing a bottom pairing role in the NHL next year. Him and Rathbone together are a tier above AHL competition right now.

Reactions: Kearns

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I was reading a Minnesota Wild blog post about players that they could’ve drafted instead of Flip Johansson and one of the players mentioned was Jett Woo. The author cited this bold analysis from Hockey Prospecting:

Jett Woo (37th overall, Vancouver Canucks) is a Judd Brackett pick who struggled in the AHL these past two seasons, perhaps partially due to COVID-19’s impact. Still, Hockey Prospecting pinpoints his development curve as being similar to offensive defensemen like Alex Pietrangelo, Jakob Chychrun, and his No.1 comparable, Adam Fox. Even if that overstates his potential, that’s more than Minnesota has right now.

That is counterintuitive to my understanding of Woo’s NHL potential. My impression was that he was close to being a bust—and definitely not being on the same curve as some of the best defensemen in recent years... I’m not sure I ever heard such lofty appraisals of his potential going back to his draft. Not even from notoriously optimistic Canucks fans.

Does anyone know what Hockey Prospecting is going about here? Has anyone seen the analysis they are referring to that would lead to them “pinpointing” such a development curve?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad