Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 4 - D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Probably should've been a Norris finalist. Feels like the voters are punishing him for some combination of being on team that missed the playoffs and having not won the award before this season.

Last edited:

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Makar got the gas off of last season. Among the best in the league but not the McDavid at D he was made to be

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
FvU4PgHX0AAH09u.jpg

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
The James Norris Memorial Trophy is an annual award given "to the defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position." The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers Association at the end of the regular season.

I don't like how the Norris has evolved into a points competition. Having the most points doesn't make you the best all-round defenseman. Karlsson ran away with points, but was a -26 and doesn't play on the penalty kill! How can a defenseman be the Norris and NOT be on the top PK unit?

Makar and Fox are both PK1 leaders and have solid positive +/- numbers. Dahlin has improved, but is behind those guys defensively still. He's not even on the top PK unit.

Honestly, to me Fox is the better definition of the Norris than Karlsson or Makar.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Makar and Fox are both PK1 leaders and have solid positive +/- numbers. Dahlin has improved, but is behind those guys defensively still. He's not even on the top PK unit.
It's very debatable, Dahlin had a good season and he definitely improved in defense, these are the facts.

Using Hockey Viz’s Model Fox and Karlsson were better at driving offense

Dahlin was better than Makar on offense.

Dahlin had better defensive metrics than all of them.

Same with Evolving Hockey.
imgonline-com-ua-2to1-1wIqbI5P4TpbK.jpg

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
The James Norris Memorial Trophy is an annual award given "to the defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position." The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers Association at the end of the regular season.

I don't like how the Norris has evolved into a points competition. Having the most points doesn't make you the best all-round defenseman. Karlsson ran away with points, but was a -26 and doesn't play on the penalty kill! How can a defenseman be the Norris and NOT be on the top PK unit?

Honestly, to me Fox is the better definition of the Norris than Karlsson or Makar.
where is the statistical proof for your statement, beyond +/-, even there dahlin is just plus 12 while Makar is 16; also Makar has played 12 games less.
A nomination of Makar over Dahlin makes no sense, other than past reputation.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The one poster said it best. Contract negotiations coming, it would be nice if he was nominated but it gives more ammunition to negotiate.

In the end I am not sure if it will get him more money being a nominee but it doesn't hurt.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
where is the statistical proof for your statement, beyond +/-, even there dahlin is just plus 12 while Makar is 16; also Makar has played 12 games less.
A nomination of Makar over Dahlin makes no sense, other than past reputation.
You made my post about Dahlin...not me. I made it about the Norris itself. I made my case why I do not think Karlsson should be such a shoo-in because he is not relied on by his team defensively. That case does also diminish Dahlin's claim in that Dahlin is not on the top PK unit.

No, I do not think Dahlin was in the top three all-around defenseman in hockey. He has some growth still to do on the defensive side of his game before he gets there. I think there are likely a few other better "all-around" defenseman out there who could argue they were snubbed as well.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
You made my post about Dahlin...not me. I made it about the Norris itself. I made my case why I do not think Karlsson should be such a shoo-in because he is not relied on by his team defensively. That case does also diminish Dahlin's claim in that Dahlin is not on the top PK unit.

No, I do not think Dahlin was in the top three all-around defenseman in hockey. He has some growth still to do on the defensive side of his game before he gets there. I think there are likely a few other better "all-around" defenseman out there who could argue they were snubbed as well.
Dude what are you talking about? If Dahlin had better defensive metrics than EK 65, Makar and Fox.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

“You made my post about Dahlin, not me!” He yells in the Rasmus Dahlin thread

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
You guys are always looking to pick fights and put other posters down. Makes it pretty hard to have legit conversations. I used to enjoy some of the discussions on this board, but its gotten to where if you say anything even remotely negative about any of the fanboy favorites, you just get ganked.

Yes it is a Dahlin thread. The discussion was about him not being top 3 in voting. I made a comment about how I didn't like the way Norris had become a points total race instead of best all around defenseman race. Thats a legit segway off that conversation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad