Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 4 - D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RecycledEichel

Out with the old...
Oct 19, 2013
Raleigh
Miss the night in, night out insanity he would give us.

Wonder what percentageof it is because of the injury and what percentage is him hitting a wall after playing some of the most minutes in the NHL.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
best game in over a month for Dahlin

Before tonight, he was not even playing at the level of an NHL defenseman in March. He was worse than Mike Wilson or Richard Smehlik

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Looks like he is 8th all time in dman scoring in franchise history. After next season he will be 3rd. Before his 24th birthday. He needs a 8/100 contract the second he is eligible. Don't lowball him. 12.5 is fair value for an entire prime of a 75-80,point elite top 3 dman.

Reactions: Dingo44

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I think the strategy for negotiation with Dahlin has to be to simply layout the facts:

1. He's top-five in the league right now.
2. He likely has 10-12 years of peak performance ahead.
3. Teams that win championships have a lot of favorable contracts.
4. We want to keep our core intact for as long as possible.
5. We want to pay our players well.

Then ask him what he thinks is a fair contract, and say yes.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
8 years x 10.875

Fair for both sides. A bit of a bargain for us but this is why you keep a locker room together, this is what the good vibes are for. He will take a discount in order for us to sign the other guys. If you can sign Mitts for 6 years, 5.5-6 per, the same week, for example.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
8 years x 10.875

Fair for both sides. A bit of a bargain for us but this is why you keep a locker room together, this is what the good vibes are for. He will take a discount in order for us to sign the other guys. If you can sign Mitts for 6 years, 5.5-6 per, the same week, for example.
I wouldn't be shocked if Adams were able to keep the AAV under $10M.

With the extensions for Thompson and Cozens being good values, I wouldn't be surprised if Dahlin doesn't want to squeeze the team for every last penny and takes a bit of a team friendly deal to give them room to do stuff like extend his buddy Mitts.

Last edited:

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
If Ras signs for less than Eichels 8x10, I'd retire his number now.

But Dahlin should do better than the Eichel contract. It is right and just, justo y necesario, dignum et iustum est.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
I wouldn't be shocked if Adams were able to keep the AAV under $10M.

With the extensions for Thompson and Cozens being good values, I wouldn't be surprised if Dahlin doesn't want to squeeze the team for every last penny and takes a bit of a team friendly deal to give them room to do stuff like extend his buddy Mitts.
I'd say all of the comparables are also under 10 per. Karlsson and Doughty are the only Dmen with cap hits over 10, and both were signed after they won Norris trophies and had multiple top 5 Norris finishes.

9.5 seems like a very fair number to me based on Werenski, Makar, Fox, Heiskanen, McAvoy, and many others.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Salary cap in 24/25 is 88 million, 25/26 is 92 million, and will keep going up.

I hope agents and players forget this when negotiating contracts with us.

Y'all know how it works in the NFL right, do any players cap their worth on the value of contracts by commensurate players signed 2 or 3 years earlier? Flat stagnant cap is coming to an end soon, lots of teams will have found money, fewer teams up against the cap.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Salary cap in 24/25 is 88 million, 25/26 is 92 million, and will keep going up.

I hope agents and players forget this when negotiating contracts with us.

Y'all know how it works in the NFL right, do any players cap their worth on the value of contracts by commensurate players signed 2 or 3 years earlier? Flat stagnant cap is coming to an end soon, lots of teams will have found money, fewer teams up against the cap.
Those projected numbers as far as I'm aware do not reflect the Bally bankruptcy, because no one really knows what effect that is going to have. Also guys like Fox, Werenski, and McAvoy just played the first season of their deals. The only major Dman extension from last offseason was Sergachev I believe, at 8.5 per.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
If Ras signs for less than Eichels 8x10, I'd retire his number now.

But Dahlin should do better than the Eichel contract. It is right and just, justo y necesario, dignum et iustum est.

Vere dignum et justum est, aequum et salutare, nos tibi semper.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I hope Dahlin signs for as little as possible thats for damn sure. The contract is all UFA years except the 1st year.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
How much of a physical monster is Ras going to be after a 23-year old summer of training? The possibility of him taking another ratings jump in strength, durability, and D-zone awareness, while keeping his elite puck skills, passing, and skating through his 20s is just unreal. Crazy to daydream on what we're about to witness.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Capture.PNG

Choosing to celebrate Casey's goal instead of Anderson's last win is not captain material decision making.

:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad