Value of: Quinn hughes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Not knowing what Nemec and Luke Hughes are going to be signed for, how much salary do you expect to have on your back end?
Nemec and Luke will probably command 7-9 each.
Four defense around 8 million. Not to mention another 8 for Marino and Siegs.

That my friend is terrible asset management and the exact reason why the Leafs struggle to fill their roster.
Nemec and Luke Hughes will both have to play out their ELCs and then possibly short bridge deals before they get a 7-9 contracts. That is 4 or 5 years before the Devil's have to worry.

4+ years is a lifetime in a teams salary structure. A lot can and will likely change, including the cap significantly rising.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Do you think that the Devils told Jack and Luke to talk about Quinn like NHL players are just puppets controlled by their team?
They are brothers, and obviously fairly close brothers, clearly they'd want to play together. It's just not some Tom Fitzgerald master plan.
It was a Tom Fitzgerald master plan and the Devils should thank their lucky stars that Q. Hughes doesn't play for Toronto, NYR, Chicago, Boston, or Pittsburgh (i.e. teams that receive open preferrential treatment from the league) otherwise the Devils would have been fined with a tampering charge.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Unfortunately the coaches, training staff, and management it was smart thing to grind him into dust for *checks notes* no wins to start the season. So if you acquire him you should know it's just a bag of dust. Maybe it's magic? No one knows anymore.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
For me personally, I think

To NJ: Quinn Hughes
To Canucks: Nemac + 1st

Would be a fair deal. NJ have already violently tampered with Quinn Hughes in an indirect way (i.e. getting Luke and Jack to talk about how they wished Quinn was with them) and so they might as well go the whole 9 yards.
i acutally think jt miller for hamilton makes more sense for both teams. Canucks still have center depth and a ton of wingers and nemec/luke hughes are the future of that blue line. They definitely need more 2way dmen and not really hamilton, but hamilton would definitely be better than having the D they have now.

Not sure how badly the devils needs jt miller tho? He will definitely look good with hischier/jhughes but do they really need him? Devils will get better year after year with just their in-house youth development.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
i acutally think jt miller for hamilton makes more sense for both teams. Canucks still have center depth and a ton of wingers and nemec/luke hughes are the future of that blue line. They definitely need more 2way dmen and not really hamilton, but hamilton would definitely be better than having the D they have now.

Not sure how badly the devils needs jt miller tho? He will definitely look good with hischier/jhughes but do they really need him? Devils will get better year after year with just their in-house youth development.
I'd be open to considering that but my concern is that the Canucks lockerroom is weak right now and I'm not sure if Dougie Hamilton is the best team guy. Him and Hughes (or OEL-Hamilton) might look pretty good together though. Who knows. I have no freakin' clue what's going on with my Canucks right now, lol.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Nemec and Luke Hughes will both have to play out their ELCs and then possibly short bridge deals before they get a 7-9 contracts. That is 4 or 5 years before the Devil's have to worry.

4+ years is a lifetime in a teams salary structure. A lot can and will likely change, including the cap significantly rising.
If you read my original comment that’s exactly what I said. Can’t ignore the future and when you have 9 million tied up for Hamilton 8 million tied up for Hughes another 8 million tied up between Seigenthaler Marino And three years from now Luke Hughes and Nemec request 7-9 Does it really make sense to have $8 million in our back end on the bottom 6? Or a 7-9 million defenseman on the third pairing?
No it is terrible asset management.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
In a rebuild you keep Hughes to build around. You don’t strip it down to nothing. He’s a piece that’s hard to come by and he’s young enough to be part of an intense rebuild

Reactions: wetcoast

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA

Oh and bridge deals are becoming a thing of the past

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
It was a Tom Fitzgerald master plan and the Devils should thank their lucky stars that Q. Hughes doesn't play for Toronto, NYR, Chicago, Boston, or Pittsburgh (i.e. teams that receive open preferrential treatment from the league) otherwise the Devils would have been fined with a tampering charge.

Ya, it's not that deep man.
There is no masterplan, it's just brothers constantly being asked about playing together.

Reactions: wetcoast

Hockey Monstar

Oct 23, 2022
Hughes' defensive game is so bad he shouldn't be considered a 1D. He's a very good offensive defenseman with a lousy shot. What's the difference between Tony DeAngelo and Quinn Hughes? Both undersized, lousy defensive game, dynamic offensively, great on the PP. One came into the league with a reputation of being a bonafide 1D, the other has a bad reputation but really, they're the same player. Hughes is closer to DeAngelo or prime shattenkirk or Tyson Barrie than he is Makar or fox.
Devils wouldnt need Quinn to be a top defenseman

But itd be too expensive.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Not knowing what Nemec and Luke Hughes are going to be signed for, how much salary do you expect to have on your back end?
Nemec and Luke will probably command 7-9 each.
Four defense around 8 million. Not to mention another 8 for Marino and Siegs combined.
I get the cap will rise but almost half of your cap will be on 6 defense?

That my friend is terrible asset management and the exact reason why the Leafs struggle to fill their roster.
Luke and Nemec are not going to command that much straight away. After their ELC deals expire, I expect a bridge contract signed. By end of that deal, Marino and Quinn's contracts would be finished. Sigenthaler would have one year left

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Luke and Nemec are not going to command that much straight away. After their ELC deals expire, I expect a bridge contract signed. By end of that deal, Marino and Quinn's contracts would be finished. Sigenthaler would have one year left
Marino would still have one year and Siegs two. Either way they will not be making peanuts.
If Quinn’s last name wasn’t Hughes there wouldn’t even be a conversation about getting him. Devils have arguably the deepest D in the league and don’t need him.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
this is stupid honestly...team struggling but let's trade our best D and top young player. just a dumb panic move that solves nothing at all. If Hughes is traded, Pettersson and Demko will be traded too amd they will just start from scratch.

It's too late now and in reality it would have been hard to pull off but if the Canucks had traded JT Miller at his peak value and went for at least a partial rebuild, maybe build around BO, EP, Demko, Podz I think that inquiring with NHJ what they would offer for Quinn might have been very interesting.

I was on the record worried about his potential defensive play on draft day and he has vastly exceeded my expectations in that department but he has a bit of a muffin shot, Rathbone might actually be the better overall PP QB and what Quinn could return might be better in the long run in that hypothetical exercise but in the real world you are right here.

You might be right but I still have a right to be overly dramatic and vent to those willing to listen don't I? :-p

Avatar checks out as that looks like a drama queen don't you think?:naughty:

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If you read my original comment that’s exactly what I said. Can’t ignore the future and when you have 9 million tied up for Hamilton 8 million tied up for Hughes another 8 million tied up between Seigenthaler Marino And three years from now Luke Hughes and Nemec request 7-9 Does it really make sense to have $8 million in our back end on the bottom 6? Or a 7-9 million defenseman on the third pairing?
No it is terrible asset management.
My apologies, I missed your initial post.

But I do believe predicting the lineup 4 years down the road as set in stone will always be an exercise in futility, as even the best layed plans never work out with NHL rosters. To assume that all six guys are going to be on the team is likely wishful thinking at best.

For the record, a trade for Q Hughes is a terrible idea for the devil's imo, so I was not condoning that, just pointing out that it is unlikely both L Hughes and Nemec will both develop into top line D during their ELCs due to being lower on the depth chart, so I think they will be solid candidates for bridge deals.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
This is something insane that I cooked up.

I didn't even bother to attempt to figure out which team adds picks/prospects, or anything like that. That could definitely be added in here to make it work. This is just based on NHL rosters and NHL contracts and salaries. I'm pre-emptively telling you that your team might also be getting a good future piece back in the deal, so keep that in mind.

Vancouver gets pieces that fit their team better.
San Jose gets more long-term flexibility and a younger star.

VANCOUVER RECIEVES...
Erik Karlsson 10% retained (5y @ $10.35m)
Mario Ferraro (4y $3.25m)

SAN JOSE RECIEVES...
Quinn Hughes (5y @ $7.85m)
Tyler Myers (2y @ $6.00m)

---SJS retaining $1.15m on Karlsson for 5 years

Vancouver sends out $13.85m in salary
Vancouver recieves $13.60m in salary

San Jose sends out $13.60m in salary
San Jose recieves $13.85m in salary

OEL - Karlsson
Ferraro - Poolman
Rathbone - Dermott
Stillman / Juulsen / Woo
--- Schenn gone at deadline
--- Burroughs gone at deadline

Knyzhov - Myers
Hughes - Benning
Simek - Merkley
Vlasic - Megna
--- Nutivaara gone at deadline

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
He just turned 23; why are they trading him? That would be the signal for a very long rebuild.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
He just turned 23; why are they trading him? That would be the signal for a very long rebuild.
If Vancouver thinks that he isn't going to get better or round out his two-way game, but he's still young and other teams disagree and believe in his potential, trading him now would be the most logical thing for Vancouver to do. If you project that your player's trade value is going to get worse and worse over time, you don't see the player being there in 5 years and you aren't a playoff team, you trade them as soon as possible.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
This is something insane that I cooked up.

I didn't even bother to attempt to figure out which team adds picks/prospects, or anything like that. That could definitely be added in here to make it work. This is just based on NHL rosters and NHL contracts and salaries. I'm pre-emptively telling you that your team might also be getting a good future piece back in the deal, so keep that in mind.

Vancouver gets pieces that fit their team better.
San Jose gets more long-term flexibility and a younger star.

VANCOUVER RECIEVES...
Erik Karlsson 10% retained (5y @ $10.35m)
Mario Ferraro (4y $3.25m)

SAN JOSE RECIEVES...
Quinn Hughes (5y @ $7.85m)
Tyler Myers (2y @ $6.00m)

---SJS retaining $1.15m on Karlsson for 5 years

Vancouver sends out $13.85m in salary
Vancouver recieves $13.60m in salary

San Jose sends out $13.60m in salary
San Jose recieves $13.85m in salary

OEL - Karlsson
Ferraro - Poolman
Rathbone - Dermott
Stillman / Juulsen / Woo
--- Schenn gone at deadline
--- Burroughs gone at deadline

Knyzhov - Myers
Hughes - Benning
Simek - Merkley
Vlasic - Megna
--- Nutivaara gone at deadline
So we trade Hughes for a bunch of garbage? cmon man thats really trying to rip off Canucks. We get the worst contract in NHL history for a young star player in Hughes and 1 year of Myers who is still a top 4?? Like Mario Ferraro going to make a difference? Thats like Canucks trading OEL and Hoglander for Timo Mier and Hertl. Cant believe why Vancouver would make such a dumb trade. If they made that trade, I would just cheer for another team.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
So we trade Hughes for a bunch of garbage? cmon man thats really trying to rip off Canucks. We get the worst contract in NHL history for a young star player in Hughes and 1 year of Myers who is still a top 4?? Like Mario Ferraro going to make a difference? Thats like Canucks trading OEL and Hoglander for Timo Mier and Hertl. Cant believe why Vancouver would make such a dumb trade. If they made that trade, I would just cheer for another team.
The trade could have all kinds of stuff attached to it, perhaps even two 1st rounders and Wiesblatt, hypothetically. I didn't include the picks and prospects but I specified that there could be pieces added to either side of the deal. Just wanted to focus on the NHL roster, cap, contract aspects.

So there could be a good reason for Vancouver to do this outside of just the NHL roster pieces.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
If Vancouver thinks that he isn't going to get better or round out his two-way game, but he's still young and other teams disagree and believe in his potential, trading him now would be the most logical thing for Vancouver to do. If you project that your player's trade value is going to get worse and worse over time, you don't see the player being there in 5 years and you aren't a playoff team, you trade them as soon as possible.
No trading him is stupid. Canucks would then look for another Hughes or another offensive dman who probably wont be that good defensively. Should we also trade Pettersson then rry to draft another Pettersson which is not even a guarantee? I mean its complete stupidity unless Canucks are gerting 3 or 4 prospect that includes 2 blue chippers for Hughes. Like Hughes for Clark, Spence and Durzi. Canucks cant afford to lose Pettersson and Hughes for crap when thats probably the only high value players they have which they can build around them or trade them since they are still pretty young.

The trade could have all kinds of stuff attached to it, perhaps even two 1st rounders and Wiesblatt, hypothetically. I didn't include the picks and prospects but I specified that there could be pieces added to either side of the deal. Just wanted to focus on the NHL roster, cap, contract aspects.
Hpw about no, Canucks can trade with Kings for better pieces. SJ doesnt have anything of value that I want. Kings have Clark, Spence, Grant etc.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
No trading him is stupid. Canucks would then look for another Hughes or another offensive dman who probably wont be that good defensively. Should we also trade Pettersson then rry to draft another Pettersson which is not even a guarantee? I mean its complete stupidity unless Canucks are gerting 3 or 4 prospect that includes 2 blue chippers for Hughes. Like Hughes for Clark, Spence and Durzi. Canucks cant afford to lose Pettersson and Hughes for crap when thats probably the only high value players they have which they can build around them or trade them since they are still pretty young.

Hpw about no, Canucks can trade with Kings for better pieces. SJ doesnt have anything of value that I want. Kings have Clark, Spence, Grant etc.
I never said "trade Hughes for crap", I said trade him while his value is high if management doesn't think he'll improve and they don't see him sticking around to be part of their playoff success in 5 years. Yes, I feel the same way about Pettersson. IF you think he won't want to stick around until 2027 or later, and you also think you have no shot at all of winning the cup in the next few years, then it might make sense to try and swap him for some high potential picks / prospects / very young players.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Devils wouldnt need Quinn to be a top defenseman

But itd be too expensive.
why is Devils always the team that is discussed when trading Hughes? Like therr arent 30 other teams we could deal with???? Oh right because Devils have Hughes so he has to go there lol. Maybe Canucks can trade Quinn Hughes for Jack Hughes
I never said "trade Hughes for crap", I said trade him while his value is high if management doesn't think he'll improve and they don't see him sticking around to be part of their playoff success in 5 years. Yes, I feel the same way about Pettersson. IF you think he won't want to stick around until 2027 or later, and you also think you have no shot at all of winning the cup in the next few years, then it might make sense to try and swap him for some high potential picks / prospects / very young players.
It needs to be very high profile prospects that are guaranteed to make impact in NHL. No magic beans, no draft picks or second tier prospects. When it comes to trading young star players with NHL pedigree and high potential, the price is very very high. Like trading Stutzle or Jack Hughes. So it would need minimum 2 blue chip prospects plus a 1st rounder and thats the starting price if the team even wants to trade them which is very rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad