Value of: Quinn hughes

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Not to mention Hughes is signed for another 5 years and Pettersson another year after this, still an RFA when his deal expires.
Yeah my head hurts when I see these trade offers, its almost comical. But it just shows how fans of one team can totally overvalue their players, especially when they go on a hot streak that will not be sustainable.

I respect your different opinion but you wouldn't trade Hughes and Pettersson for Makar? He's signed to a great deal, just won the Conn Smythe and is non debatably a top 5 dman in the league and probably the best. It would be like the Leafs turning down Nylander + Rielly for Makar. I know the trade hurts but end of the day you get the best player
I said I would have a hard time since we are giving up our best defender and #1 center and Canucks need more players that are high caliber so a 2 for 1 trade is very tough eventhough Makar is great. But Sabres ofdering Dahlin for those two is completely dumb and unrealistic.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Both.

The value is there because its 2 good players but to me Dahlin is a player I would never trade.

By the end of this season, Dahlin will be in the discussion with Fox and Makar. You NEVER trade these types of players unless you are forced to.
The value is not there for Canucks and no GM wohld trade a number 1 D and number 1 C to get a dman that is on a hot streak now. Where was Dahlin the last couple of years? He is not a Makar so Sabres would be very dumb to not accept that offer especially since they have powers too. Their GM would be fired on the spot for declining that offer. I know you think Canucks suck but that doesnt automatically bring down value of their best players.

Guy Tetreault

Dec 28, 2021
Québec, Canada
Dahlin 18 years old=44 pts
Makar 18 years old= 0

Dahlin 19 years old = 40 pts
Makar 19 years old = 0

Dahlin 20 years old = 23 pts
Makar 20 years old = 0

Dahlin 21 years old = 53 pts
Makar 21 years old = 50 pts

Dahlin 22 years old = 8 pts (5 Games played)
Makar 22 years old = 44 pts

Attachments

• EF36BDFF-4760-4747-9850-F3352063C271.jpeg
    EF36BDFF-4760-4747-9850-F3352063C271.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Makar 18 years old= 0

Makar 19 years old = 0

Makar 20 years old = 0

You seriously are comparing Dahlin to Makar???? I remember these boards were talking about how Dahlin was not great after his rookie year onwards and how he was bad defensively. How is he now a Norris candidate when Makar and Fox are much better now? Please stop overhyping Dahlin because of this hot streak

• Haha
Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Makar 18 years old= 0

Makar 19 years old = 0

Makar 20 years old = 0

Why are putting games played at the end there but no where else?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
In terms of Vancouver wanting to get out from under the Benning shaped rock that's crushing their competitive window, a better question would be...
value of Hughes and OEL or,
value of Horvat and Boeser or,
value of Pettersson and Myers

Packages like that.
No. Really no.

If they're trading players like Hughes or Horvat or Petey, the competitive window is over anyway. They would need to be maximizing the future assets they can get back from them in a trade. Attaching an anchor contract would just reduce their trade value.

If they're not going to be competitive, then they can afford to just eat the bad contracts for a while.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
To buffalo: Hughes,Pettersson
To van: Dahlin
who say no?
Can.. easily… I wouldn’t trade Hughes by himself for Dahlin

The last person you trade is Hughes unless it is for the upcoming first overall.

I respect your different opinion but you wouldn't trade Hughes and Pettersson for Makar? He's signed to a great deal, just won the Conn Smythe and is non debatably a top 5 dman in the league and probably the best. It would be like the Leafs turning down Nylander + Rielly for Makar. I know the trade hurts but end of the day you get the best player
I wouldn’t, he isn’t worth both of them

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
The value is not there for Canucks and no GM wohld trade a number 1 D and number 1 C to get a dman that is on a hot streak now. Where was Dahlin the last couple of years? He is not a Makar so Sabres would be very dumb to not accept that offer especially since they have powers too. Their GM would be fired on the spot for declining that offer. I know you think Canucks suck but that doesnt automatically bring down value of their best players.
He was saying the value is there from the Sabres side but would not move Dahlin.

I don't think he was implying that the value is fair for the Canucks. As far as I can tell, only one poster with 600 total posts was asking if the value was fair (which, it isn't)

Obviously the Canucks would have no interest in that type of two for one, but on the flip side, Dahlin is a team leader, wants to be in Buffalo, is only 22 and has been playing out of his mind the last 20 regular season games or so dating back to the end of last year, so Buffalo fans feel it would be counter-productive to move him, even for ridiculous value, because the new players may not want to be part of what they are building in Buffalo like Dahlin does.

Moving Dahlin would also shatter the functional leadership core they currently have, which is something that they haven't had in years and is an intangible that is hard to put value on. It is hard to believe anyone wouldn't jump at that deal if offered from a Sabres persepctive, but honestly, there is enough risk in that move backfiring and setting the franchise back more than forward that it is understandable why Sabres fans are hesitant.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
To Vancouver: Dahlin and Powers
To Buffalo: Hughes

That shows you have zero idea of what players values are in NHL. Hughes and Pettersson are two young, high potential players. Only a dimwit would trade him for less than McDavid, meaning untouchable. Get with reality, you seem to be dreaming like the OP. JR is not that dumb to trade two franchise faces for a chicken nugget
Complete, unabashed delusion right here.

Reactions: Realgud

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
You seriously are comparing Dahlin to Makar???? I remember these boards were talking about how Dahlin was not great after his rookie year onwards and how he was bad defensively. How is he now a Norris candidate when Makar and Fox are much better now? Please stop overhyping Dahlin because of this hot streak
Dahlin was 18 years old put on a tire fire of a team. He didn't get experience before brought up, and didn't get to step onto a playoff team with a
ton of talent. No, he was high school age learning the NHL while getting bombarded on a last place team and playing for some of the worst coaches in the NHL. If Dahlin got to wait a few seasons to grow and then step in with a contender, no one would of ever doubted him. And the idea of an 18 year old Markar on those Sabres team and looking good? Give me a break. He would of been slaughtered.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
So you think Miller is same as Hughes and Pettersson? we should give those two to you guys for free since Miller didnt get anything of value? How are they connected, I dont get it? So if Oilers cant get any good trade offer for Nurse, it means they would not get anything of value for McDavid? Typical hfboard logic
Me: Some Vancouver fans overrate/overvalue their players.

You:
1666647486628.gif

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
So you think Miller is same as Hughes and Pettersson? we should give those two to you guys for free since Miller didnt get anything of value? How are they connected, I dont get it? So if Oilers cant get any good trade offer for Nurse, it means they would not get anything of value for McDavid? Typical hfboard logic

You're going to hurt yourself if you don't stretch before taking these giant leaps.

Reactions: Jerzey Devil

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Don't see why they would trade Petterson or Hughes.

They have lots of talent, the team is just horrifically built and managed.

Like are they going to tank and hope they get a Petterson and Hughes quality player for the next two drafts?

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Don't see why they would trade Petterson or Hughes.

They have lots of talent, the team is just horrifically built and managed.

Like are they going to tank and hope they get a Petterson and Hughes quality player for the next two drafts?

We don't have tons of talent, take a look at our defensive corps. Anyone who is shocked by this has clearly not been paying attention to our team; we have a #1 in Quinn Hughes, a #2 in OEL, and then a bunch of bottom pairing defencemen. Myers is a fringe top-4, but he's not someone who I'm writing home about. The cupboards are very barren as well because both times someone who was a part of our team's management in recent years has suggested a rebuild (Gillis, Linden) they were fired. So, it's safe to say the issue is going to persist for the foreseeable future.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Even if they do decide to go the rebuild route, trading Hughes, EP or Demko is not the answer. It's guys like Boeser/Horvat/Miller/Garland and you take whatever you can get for them.

I realize the notion of "they won't resign" but they are both RFAs at the end of their deal so you can go down that path if you need to and hope you can convince them on building it back up "properly".

Knowing the Aquaman though, this team will likely be trying to ship out Boeser + 1st for a top 4 dman and continue to go at it with this core because he cares more about short term profits

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
We don't have tons of talent, take a look at our defensive corps. Anyone who is shocked by this has clearly not been paying attention to our team; we have a #1 in Quinn Hughes, a #2 in OEL, and then a bunch of bottom pairing defencemen. Myers is a fringe top-4, but he's not someone who I'm writing home about. The cupboards are very barren as well because both times someone who was a part of our team's management in recent years has suggested a rebuild (Gillis, Linden) they were fired. So, it's safe to say the issue is going to persist for the foreseeable future.

Like you have your 1C, 1D, and Goalie. That's what teams tank for.

You don't tank for 2nd pairing guys. Trade some top 6 guys in a hockey trade. Sign some vets to try to clean up the culture.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Like you have your 1C, 1D, and Goalie. That's what teams tank for.

You don't tank for 2nd pairing guys. Trade some top 6 guys in a hockey trade. Sign some vets to try to clean up the culture.

It's not that easy though. The supporting cast matters just as much, and if the majority of your supporting cast is getting signed to contracts that doesn't reflect their level of play, you're f***ed. If done correctly, the rebuild would have given the supporting cast pieces without going into free agency and overpaying. Instead, we're stuck paying guys like Tyler Myers 6 million

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
IF (when) the Canucks are changing things drastically, what would be the return on Quinn? Who would want him and what’s the offer?
For me personally, I think

To NJ: Quinn Hughes
To Canucks: Nemac + 1st

Would be a fair deal. NJ have already violently tampered with Quinn Hughes in an indirect way (i.e. getting Luke and Jack to talk about how they wished Quinn was with them) and so they might as well go the whole 9 yards.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
You are forgetting what Quinn can bring to the table with his offensive talents. NJ's power play still sucks despite Dougie Hamilton arriving. If there's an opportunity to upgrade Graves at a cost of one our top prospects or 1st round pick, they would be mad to not consider it.

The cap can be managed with Graves and Tatar going the other way. Vancouver will accept them as their are expiring. Holtz or Zetterlund can be inserted for Tatar. And I think the team gets probably stronger if Tatar is out of the lineup.

Severson and Johnsson gone next year still means we have cap to re-sign Bratt.
Not knowing what Nemec and Luke Hughes are going to be signed for, how much salary do you expect to have on your back end?
Nemec and Luke will probably command 7-9 each.
Four defense around 8 million. Not to mention another 8 for Marino and Siegs combined.
I get the cap will rise but almost half of your cap will be on 6 defense?

That my friend is terrible asset management and the exact reason why the Leafs struggle to fill their roster.

Last edited:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
It's not that easy though. The supporting cast matters just as much, and if the majority of your supporting cast is getting signed to contracts that doesn't reflect their level of play, you're f***ed. If done correctly, the rebuild would have given the supporting cast pieces without going into free agency and overpaying. Instead, we're stuck paying guys like Tyler Myers 6 million
Sure, you got your work cut out for you.

I'm just saying scorched earth isn't the answer.

Hell trade boeser, Horvat, and garland. Take a year off and get some defense next summer. Role players and depth defense aren't impossible to get

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
For me personally, I think

To NJ: Quinn Hughes
To Canucks: Nemac + 1st

Would be a fair deal. NJ have already violently tampered with Quinn Hughes in an indirect way (i.e. getting Luke and Jack to talk about how they wished Quinn was with them) and so they might as well go the whole 9 yards.

Do you think that the Devils told Jack and Luke to talk about Quinn like NHL players are just puppets controlled by their team?
They are brothers, and obviously fairly close brothers, clearly they'd want to play together. It's just not some Tom Fitzgerald master plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad