Proposal: Puljujärvi for Trouba

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
At least Chia is trying to change the culture of the team, which is more than what you can say about his predecessors. He isn't much of a builder though, so you need to be careful about that. I'm perfectly happy with everybody forgetting that the Jets exist sometimes. It means less stupid things to read through.

For sure, I don't mind reasonable criticisms.

It's the "lulz Oilers" forever doomed and guaranteed last place coming from people who lack the self-awareness to realize 5-7+ rookies in a lineup at the same time carries zero certainty. Not everyone will reach their hive mindset expectations.

I don't know, I feel more of an urgency and desire to win that hasn't been there before. Hard to explain, don't want to predict anything or be cocky. In previous years it's been a bumbling mess with no realistic vision for the future. The way our team is being built and added size + toughness is something we haven't had. It's a tough mountain to climb ahead of us no doubt, we aren't going to be given anything.

The urgency to win and fight back against the Cali teams is new. It doesn't feel as insurmountable, hard to explain. Maybe our team is just growing up. We're not relying on unrealistic expectations for Pulju or Caggiula for example, I guess there is more of a stoic realism. We want to compete, we want to fight back and be a good hockey team. This focus hasn't been there in previous years.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
It started when you won McDavid. That sparked the shift in your front office and with Katz no longer rewarding his childhood heroes with jobs that require managerial decisions. Also, the Cali teams are on the cusp of falling back to earth. The Kings did nothing to help their cap situation and their D is pretty mediocre after the top 2, the best players on the Sharks are all 35+, and the Ducks' best forwards are already receiving diminishing returns on their NHL play (shoutout to Randy ****ing Carlyle and a woeful cap situation). They'll still be good for two or three years yet, but their window is going down as yours should be opening.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
As a Finn, the idea of Laine - x - Puljujärvi line in the NHL sounds enticing. However shortly after considering the idea, you get a good reminder of where they both are today. Puljujärvi will get to play with McDavid down the road and Laine has the likes of Scheifele, Ehlers and Wheelers to choose from. Frankly, the draft couldn't have gone any better from their point of views.

Value wise, even while considering the fact of JP having played 0 games in the NHL, there shouldn't be any issues (Jesse being an A+ prospect). However the reality is that The Jets are loaded in the wings and need Trouba more, while the Oilers already made their move and would be crazy to give up another potential franchise winger.

Fun idea to toy around with I'm sure, but not good for either team.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I find it funny how people always bash advanced stats while at the same time insisting that Jets fans, the people who actually watch Trouba play, overrate Trouba.

Odd how that happens

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Btw. Trouba doesn't get you Taylor Hall. For values comparison. Edmonton got shafted for Larsson so using that deal to compare Troubas value is comple nonsense considering Edmonton got shafted in that deal and Larsson is a more valuable defensemen.

Yet that is what Chiarelli traded to get the D he sought. Value is relative, buddy. We're establishing what Larsson and Trouba's value is to each other and what that value means to other teams. Keep the cult of personality going, buddy.

19Yzerman19

Jul 17, 2004
It's quotes like this that really show how Trouba has become underrated around these forums. Larsson is better at shot suppression but Trouba is better at shot generation, so their shot differentials work out to about the same. Trouba produces more offence with less talented linemates, and both play roughly the same quality and amount of minutes. Trouba is younger and already as good as Larsson my man.

Oh really, so what you're saying is Winnipeg's team is less talented than NJ was? :laugh:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
trouba is 1 of 7 or 8 defencemen chosen from the nhl for the world cup by executives of nhl teams non of witch were wpgs. puljujarvi who I like was passed over for that honor by the man who knows him better than anybody for a 160 lbs player aho who hasn't even played in nhl, who if a poll were taken today aho vs puljurjarvi wouldn't even get 1 vote.
yet somehow jets fans are over rating trouba. I guess just like nhl executives like edms who picked trouba for the team.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
trouba is 1 of 7 or 8 defencemen chosen from the nhl for the world cup by executives of nhl teams non of witch were wpgs. puljujarvi who I like was passed over for that honor by the man who knows him better than anybody for a 160 lbs player aho who hasn't even played in nhl, who if a poll were taken today aho vs puljurjarvi wouldn't even get 1 vote.
yet somehow jets fans are over rating trouba. I guess just like nhl executives like edms who picked trouba for the team.

I don't see how you logically connect the two as an argument? Seems like unrelated premises. You basically reached the conclusion you wanted prior to making your argument.

Poor form friend. That's objectively awful reasoning.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Adam Larsson gets moved for Taylor Hall, but Trouba, a younger, equally good player, is going to be moved for a propsect without a single NHL game played? Give your head a shake

It's really annoying to see this Hall/Larsson trade be used as a benchmark every time value for young Dmen gets brought up.

Let's break this down.... It was 4 years of $6M Hall for 5 years of $4M Larsson vs. RFA rights for a soon to be expensive Trouba who needs to be expansion draft protected for expansion draft exempt cheap for the next 3 years sky high potential Puljujarvi. Do you see the difference now?

Not saying that the value is bad but the Hall/Larsson trade has NOTHING to do with the value of Trouba. The situations are completely different.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
And I would like nothing more than to pay Trouba what he's worth. This summer has been long, and we've been dogged by these stupid and incessant rumours and topics all summer, so forgive us if we are a little short-tempered about the subject.

Trouba was hfboards' darling after his rookie season, and now he's apparently only a #3 D, extremely overrated, and not fit to carry Reilly's jockstrap. To you Leaf fans who want to comment on this, shut it. The two have been compared to each other ad nauseum over the last 4 years. I don't want to hear you whining about being brought up in a thread that has nothing to do with you.

Hockey needs to start already. I'm tired of reading the same old stupid **** on this board.

Reilly AINEC

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Pulj will be a good player likely, but Jets have no need for him. Trading Trouba would create a huge problem for the Jets. Jets would be targeting a 1 for 1 trade top end player who ideally LHD. If forced to settle for BPA likely want a proven high end player/forward, not a prospect.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Pulj will be a good player likely, but Jets have no need for him. Trading Trouba would create a huge problem for the Jets. Jets would be targeting a 1 for 1 trade top end player who ideally LHD. If forced to settle for BPA likely want a proven high end player/forward, not a prospect.

If Trouba is traded, I agree it's most likely for an equal value player. I'm not sure if the Jets see Puljujarvi as equal value. If they do, then the Jets might consider a three way trade, either flipping Puljujarvi or trading another good forward to fill the gap on D.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I find it funny how people always bash advanced stats while at the same time insisting that Jets fans, the people who actually watch Trouba play, overrate Trouba.

Odd how that happens

Whoa a fan base is overrating the value of their own player?! No way!

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If Trouba is traded, I agree it's most likely for an equal value player. I'm not sure if the Jets see Puljujarvi as equal value. If they do, then the Jets might consider a three way trade, either flipping Puljujarvi or trading another good forward to fill the gap on D.

Agreed, if forced to trade Trouba for BPA (aka forward), I see Chevy quickly doing another trade to fill the gap on D with some kinda stop gap type of D. Sometimes when fishing the fish aren't biting no matter what bait you use.....then wait for another day when time is right to get our long needed LHD.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Neutral fan.

I think Puljujarvi is getting overrated if people expect him to garner more than a young #2/3D. I don't think he is an overrated prospect so much as people are overrating prospects relative to established young D, which are much harder to get.

Certainly by need, the Oilers add big here. They could use Trouba much more than Puljujarvi. The converse is not true for the Jets, or most teams.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Lol no he's not. Trouba will be lucky to be as good as Larsson is when he hits his prime.

He's better than him now lol. Since Adam Larsson was traded to the oilers he has become the most Overrated player on this board. Yes he faces tough competition on a nightly basis...the problem is is that he is consistently beaten by them.

He is not a top pairing defenseman. He is a number 3 at best...where as Trouba has already played top pairing minutes and shined while playing there.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
It's really annoying to see this Hall/Larsson trade be used as a benchmark every time value for young Dmen gets brought up.

Let's break this down.... It was 4 years of $6M Hall for 5 years of $4M Larsson vs. RFA rights for a soon to be expensive Trouba who needs to be expansion draft protected for expansion draft exempt cheap for the next 3 years sky high potential Puljujarvi. Do you see the difference now?

Not saying that the value is bad but the Hall/Larsson trade has NOTHING to do with the value of Trouba. The situations are completely different.

Yes it does. How do you think value is established? The deal doesn't sound like it makes sense for Edmonton, and that's fine...and I wouldn't even fault you for not wanting to make this trade if expansion wasn't a thing.

But value is value. Larsson who is an older and worse defender was traded for Taylor Hall...one of the better LWs in the game. It would stand to reason that Trouba being younger and better would generate a larger return.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Honest question here: can anyone tell me the last time a top 5 draft pick was traded after the draft before the following season started?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad