Proposal: Puljujärvi for Trouba

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IamAnton

Aug 14, 2014
Winnipeg
Fowler and Despres for Ehlers if this happened?

Connor Schiefele Wheeler
Laine Little Puljujarvi

Then get Aho from Carolina and reunite all 3.

Dunno about both Fowler and Depres but Depres for Lowry seemed generally liked by both sides. I'd also imagine that if the Jets went after Fowler it would be more along the lines of Petan who is NHL ready combined with a roster player and pick. Financially it would be interesting to see what the Ducks and Jets could get done considering the cap and internal budgets.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Dunno about both Fowler and Depres but Depres for Lowry seemed generally liked by both sides. I'd also imagine that if the Jets went after Fowler it would be more along the lines of Petan who is NHL ready combined with a roster player and pick. Financially it would be interesting to see what the Ducks and Jets could get done considering the cap and internal budgets.

ANA actually makes sense as partners for WPG.

ANA has an abundance of D and D prospects, but need wingers on the cheap. WPG has an abundance of talented wingers and prospects on the verge of being full time NHLers. Financial considerations and organizational strengths line up as mutually beneficial trading partners.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Trouba lookied like he was going to be a superstar after his first year. He has never been as good again. That is the first issue for me with this trade.
The 2nd is that the Oil could not afford to take on a 6 million dollar contract without sending a big chunk of $ the other way.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
:dunno:

The make-up of our team is significantly different than it has been in a long time. We're not built around young, soft players with zero support. But, it's "show me" time now. Enough is enough, our fans need something here.

I'll stay humble, we have a difficult road ahead. No idea where we'll finish in the standings this year but I think we have a team that is better suited for the Pacific than we've had in previous years.

I would just ignore that guy, just likes to bash anything the oilers do.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Can't see Edmonton settling for Trouba given they already settled for Larsson. Had they not traded Hall this would be an epic proposal. Chiarelli would be in hot water to trade another potential franchise winger for a defense that is yet to establish himself as a legit 1D.

Puljujarvi's ELC and Trouba's demands is the major obstacle to this deal, talent for talent though it's a fair deal.

As for the Jets fans crying too many wingers to consider this deal? Umm..... Jets maybe in a position where they need to deal Trouba and this would be tremendous value so sell. All those wingers are tradeable commodities as well, hell send some to Carolina for Aho and try to build something special in Winnipeg.

Puljujarvi - Aho - Laine would be this generation's answer to
Selanne- Zhamnov - Tkachuk

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

I can handle the chirps and insults. A decade of supporting the worst team in hockey, what's a little trash talk going to do? :laugh:. I'm serious when I say we have a team built for competing in the Pacific, there are legitimate and reasonable reasons for optimism. The Cali teams are aging and don't have the depth they once had, salary cap realities.

Maroon-Drai-Pulju/Cagguila for example would be a mismatch against the bottom D pairing and the 3rd or 4th lines up front for nearly every team in Pacific (San Jose being the only team with obvious better depth). This hasn't been the case in a decade. LAK and ANAs bottom 6 have obliterated our bottom lines for years. For the first time in basically a decade I feel like we can actually create mismatches against them.

Doughty has to come off the ice at some point. Even if he's double shifted, he can only line up against 2 out of McDavid, Nugent-Hopkins, and Drais lines. Same with Kopitar and Carter or Getzlaf and Kesler. They are stacked in the top 6, even if they line match, Drai or RNH will have a mismatch. Especially on home ice with the last change. We can compete in this division. VAN is on a downward spiral and refuses to tear it down and build it back. Outside of SJS, why can't we compete? It actually doesn't seem unrealistic to think we can compete. We have no reason to back down or go into the game already defeated. New building, new personnel. The days of being bullied are over, I wouldn't say that if I didn't think it.

This isn't the same old soft as baby **** Oilers we've seen for the past decade. Maroon helped create an attitude shift, we outhit LAK in LA at the end of the year. McDavid sent Vinny into early retirement making him look foolish on two goals en route to putting 6 on the Kings. We stomped the SJS after they sent their "message" to Nurse, again putting 6 up on the scoreboard. We saw fight in the team. Adding Lucic, getting Klef back and adding Larsson changes the DNA of the team. I expect we'll only gain more confidence and become more difficult to play.

Our ability to overtake teams in the Pacific will hinge on our D. The Pacific is loaded with elite D, and high end top 6 talent. But they don't have the same depth they used to. There are cracks in the armour that weren't there before. Should be an interesting year. One of ARZ, CGY, or EDM will take the next step this year. The Pacific doesn't seem to be as guaranteed as it used to. No idea where we'll finish, but for the first time in a long time I see an opening for us to take.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

lol i was only being honest. And its the truth regarding the oilers and their core players asides McJesus. And no i dont bash the oilers, what the f*** makes u say that. I was just reminding him of something very possible to happen. The oilers missong out on the playoffs. If you cant handle criticism then dont get personal. I have alrdy said in other posts that McDavid is possibly the best player since Crosby.
I Actually think they are closer to contention than the flames, jets, avs and some other teams in the west. Tho, they are still quite a few years from serious cup contenders.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
lol i was only being honest. And its the truth regarding the oilers and their core players asides McJesus. And no i dont bash the oilers, what the f*** makes u say that. I was just reminding him of something very possible to happen. The oilers missong out on the playoffs. If you cant handle criticism then dont get personal. I have alrdy said in other posts that McDavid is possibly the best player since Crosby.
I Actually think they are closer to contention than the flames, jets, avs and some other teams in the west. Tho, they are still quite a few years from serious cup contenders.

He was clearly being sarcastic. It's obvious you love the Oilers cause you come into every thread to talk about them.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Looks like this became a "pump the Oilers tires" thread.

So many guarantees and absolutes.

The Jets could find a more suitable trade partner than the Oilers IMO...pass.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Looks like this became a "pump the Oilers tires" thread.

So many guarantees and absolutes.

The Jets could find a more suitable trade partner than the Oilers IMO...pass.

That or we don't want Trouba and his 5.5M+ price tag. Especially considering we needed more right shot RWers and got a good one expansion exempt.

We sure as hell won't even consider him if the cost was Pulju + Nurse. That's totally unreasonable.

Pumping tires? How else should we respond when we're told that the next "great collapse" will happen with our team. Should we back down or better yet act like a victim the way some of our Eastern Canadian neighbours do?

Sorry, we've stood by loyally through this decade of darkness. Been through too much to just fold the tent now. Keep Trouba and appease his pleasant to deal with agent.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
That or we don't want Trouba and his 5.5M+ price tag. Especially considering we needed more right shot RWers and got a good one expansion exempt.

We sure as hell won't even consider him if the cost was Pulju + Nurse. That's totally unreasonable.

Pumping tires? How else should we respond when we're told that the next "great collapse" will happen with our team. Should we back down or better yet act like a victim the way some of our Eastern Canadian neighbours do?

Sorry, we've stood by loyally through this decade of darkness. Been through too much to just fold the tent now. Keep Trouba and appease his pleasant to deal with agent.

yeah nobody wants to sign him at that money. Not even the jets GM. Btw i never said a collapse will happen. I just meant and suggested if a collapse is to happen, this year, then no one is safe in the oilers young core of players except for McDavid thus Nurse not really being locked in as an oiler for a long time.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Edmonton is better off keeping their ECL players over picking up pricey players such as Trouba until they shore up what looks like cap hell in the next 1-2 years, if any two of McDavid,Draisaitl or Puljujarvi hit most of their bonuses there goes $5m in next years cap space. one has to think they'll move a $6m Eberle or Hopkins for a good puck mover before Puljujarvi.

How about something like this:

To Columbus:

Nugent-Hopkins and Griffin Reinhart

To Edmonton:

Ryan Murray and Scott Hartnell

Contracts are a wash providing Reinhart doesn't meet his bonuses, Columbus gets a good playmaking center they need and a young stay at home Dman. Edmonton gets a nice young puck moving Dman and an older yet talented RW with great character to help the young guys along.

From a Flames fan
Just%2Bmy%2B2CENTS.gif

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Edmonton is better off keeping their ECL players over picking up pricey players such as Trouba until they shore up what looks like cap hell in the next 1-2 years, if any two of McDavid,Draisaitl or Puljujarvi hit most of their bonuses there goes $5m in next years cap space. one has to think they'll move a $6m Eberle or Hopkins for a good puck mover before Puljujarvi.

How about something like this:

To Columbus:

Nugent-Hopkins and Griffin Reinhart

To Edmonton:

Ryan Murray and Scott Hartnell

Contracts are a wash providing Reinhart doesn't meet his bonuses, Columbus gets a good playmaking center they need and a young stay at home Dman. Edmonton gets a nice young puck moving Dman and an older yet talented RW with great character to help the young guys along.

From a Flames fan
Just%2Bmy%2B2CENTS.gif

Honestly, I know you hate us. But the Flames and Oilers are in a once in a generation situation where we want to see eachother do well. The hate will return when we're both competitive.

Both of us as good teams is mutually beneficial. When we're competing for a playoff spot and playing meaningful hockey, the Battle of Alberta is without question the best rivalry in the NHL. Habs and Leafs used to be close, but it's not the same level of hate and high quality hockey when both the Flames and Oilers are on.

I would consider that deal. I like Murray, Hartnells contract scares me. McDavid needs a new contract a year before Hartnells expires. Financial realities don't work.

RNH for Murray and a small plus? Centre and D have close to equivalent value, we lose on value. Eberle + 1st (unprotected) for Murray and RWer and/or small cap dump that expires before 97s next contract works. I think CBJ has some cap issues.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
yeah nobody wants to sign him at that money. Not even the jets GM. Btw i never said a collapse will happen. I just meant and suggested if a collapse is to happen, this year, then no one is safe in the oilers young core of players except for McDavid thus Nurse not really being locked in as an oiler for a long time.

Fair enough, I think your post read differently than you intended.

Certainly, if we see the same **** in our new building, our fans will revolt. Everyone will be on the table except McDavid. There is a real sense of urgency we've been missing. We only have McDavid and Drai on ELCs for a short time. The window opens now.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
This thread should not be about bashing it each team . It more about what the other team needs are to make this work .

1) Oilers need better D and RHD to Boot . Trouba Check
2) Jets don't want to pay Trouba asking price so if they trade him the want a LHD coming back
3) Oilers can't afford another big contract with out sending one back and have a boat load of LHD prospects
4) Jets don't want a LHD prospect . They want someone = or close to Trouba

Logic tells you there is only one deal that would work and it would be far agreeing or not .

Sekera . He a 2nd pairing guy and Older so his value is less then Trouba

Trouble >> Sekera So whats the cost of making up the difference ?

I would think as I mention early in the thread Sekera + Pulju for Trouba + . Coming up with a plus that people would agree on is another thing . Heck not even sure if Jets fans would agree to Sekera as they probably would want Klefbom and that ends the deal . No point in trading Klefbom for another D as we are looking to build a good Young D and Klefbom fits that to a T .

Trouba + Marko Dano for Sekera + Pulju is the only deal I see as close . I would like to get another piece as an Oiler fan but Jets fans probably see it as they would like another add .

Jets get a decent LHD and an upgrade RW prospects
Oilers get a much need young RHD with upside and a RW prospect which we need ( A lessor one to Pulju but still a decent one )

Don't know if I would do it just because I would like to see what we have with the changes already made .
Larsson trade moved everyone on D down a place which will help them . No more expecting Sekera to hand 1 line competition . He will be anchoring the 2nd pairing . We are no long a soft team and have more vets to help . and are deep enough to run 3 scoring lines . Then the way Klefbom played for about 20 games before his injury was amazing . He was playing like a top paring D . If he brings that level of play this year and stays health who knows how much this team improves . Lucic will make everyone on the team play bigger , just knowing he there .

Then there the Jets . Tons of prospects and a very good D . They have the cap space to sign Trouba and it is not like PulJu will make them contenders in the next few years so they may just want to pay Trouba and if it doesn't work out trade a signed Trouba and get a bigger haul . A signed Trouba is worth more and teams can adjust their cap space to accommodate him .

In summary . The only deal I think work is mention and both teams down grade one area to upgrade another . Not sure if either teams fan base would agree to this or not

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This thread should not be about bashing it each team . It more about what the other team needs are to make this work .

2) Jets don't want to pay Trouba asking price so if they trade him the want a LHD coming back
3) Oilers can't afford another big contract with out sending one back and have a boat load of LHD prospects

Logic tells you there is only one deal that would work and it would be far agreeing or not .

I would think as I mention early in the thread Sekera + Pulju for Trouba + . Coming up with a plus that people would agree on is another thing . Heck not even sure if Jets fans would agree to Sekera as they probably would want Klefbom and that ends the deal . No point in trading Klefbom for another D as we are looking to build a good Young D and Klefbom fits that to a T .

Trouba + Marko Dano for Sekera + Pulju is the only deal I see as close . I would like to get another piece as an Oiler fan but Jets fans probably see it as they would like another add .

Oilers get a much need young RHD with upside and a RW prospect which we need ( A lessor one to Pulju but still a decent one )

Don't know if I would do it just because I would like to see what we have with the changes already made .
Larsson trade moved everyone on D down a place which will help them . No more expecting Sekera to hand 1 line competition . He will be anchoring the 2nd pairing . We are no long a soft team and have more vets to help . and are deep enough to run 3 scoring lines . Then the way Klefbom played for about 20 games before his injury was amazing . He was playing like a top paring D . If he brings that level of play this year and stays health who knows how much this team improves . Lucic will make everyone on the team play bigger , just knowing he there .

Then there the Jets . Tons of prospects and a very good D . The have the cap space to sign Trouba and it is not like PulJu will make them contenders in the next few years so they may just want to pay Trouba and if it doesn't work out trade a signed Trouba and get a bigger haul . A signed Trouba is worth more and teams can adjust their cap space to accommodate him .

In summary . The only deal I think work is mention and both teams down grade one area to upgrade another . Not sure if either teams fan base would agree to this or not

Your last paragraph summarized it all. We don't meet mutually beneficial organizational needs. We can't afford Trouba, and we can't offer a D in return as that is our highest need. It's a polite decline for both.

WPG should look East or swap with ANA. But ANA won't have any part of that contract, I can see that coming now.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Honestly, I know you hate us. But the Flames and Oilers are in a once in a generation situation where we want to see eachother do well. The hate will return when we're both competitive.

Both of us as good teams is mutually beneficial. When we're competing for a playoff spot and playing meaningful hockey, the Battle of Alberta is without question the best rivalry in the NHL. Habs and Leafs used to be close, but it's not the same level of hate and high quality hockey when both the Flames and Oilers are on.

I would consider that deal. I like Murray, Hartnells contract scares me. McDavid needs a new contract a year before Hartnells expires. Financial realities don't work.

RNH for Murray and a small plus? Centre and D have close to equivalent value, we lose on value. Eberle + 1st (unprotected) for Murray and RWer and/or small cap dump that expires before 97s next contract works. I think CBJ has some cap issues.
I'll highlight and quote for truth, having been front and center during the 80's I can safely say it was epic. Boston/ Montreal is the only one that comes close IMO.

As for the topic at hand, today's NHL says you won't trade a $6m contract for a solid player on a cheap one(Murray's) without taking something to make it close to even. Personally, I would take Hartnell's contract in a heartbeat, in year 3 his cap hit-salary is great for a trade to a floor team.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

Then there the Jets . Tons of prospects and a very good D . They have the cap space to sign Trouba and it is not like PulJu will make them contenders in the next few years so they may just want to pay Trouba and if it doesn't work out trade a signed Trouba and get a bigger haul . A signed Trouba is worth more and teams can adjust their cap space to accommodate him .

A well thought out post, but it's still a no.

Trouba is our only U24 top 4 defenseman. Most people don't even realize how old our defense actually is: 31 (Buff), 31 (Enstrom), 26 (Myers), 22 (Trouba), 32 (Stuart), 25 (Chiarot). A 30-year-old Sekera instead of Trouba means that when Buff will eventually start to decline, we won't have anyone to replace him. Instead, we have Sekera, who will likely be about 34 years old and declining himself. In short, our defense would be a massive trainwreck by the time our young forwards get their new deals. With Trouba, we are pretty much guaranteed to have a top pairing guy at that point.

Our window is not open yet. A couple of years are still required to get everything to fall into place. At that point, we need Trouba much more than we would need Puljujärvi. We have the forward depth to make some noise in a few years. What we now need is to stabilise the back end (= sign Trouba and let Hellebuyck take over the starter spot).

Any deal for Trouba between us doesn't make sense for both teams. We need one of your Swedes back, which obviously doesn't make sense for you, and if we don't get one, it makes no sense for us. We're not a good match.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
A well thought out post, but it's still a no.

Trouba is our only U24 top 4 defenseman. Most people don't even realize how old our defense actually is: 31 (Buff), 31 (Enstrom), 26 (Myers), 22 (Trouba), 32 (Stuart), 25 (Chiarot). A 30-year-old Sekera instead of Trouba means that when Buff will eventually start to decline, we won't have anyone to replace him. Instead, we have Sekera, who will likely be about 34 years old and declining himself. In short, our defense would be a massive trainwreck by the time our young forwards get their new deals. With Trouba, we are pretty much guaranteed to have a top pairing guy at that point.

Our window is not open yet. A couple of years are still required to get everything to fall into place. At that point, we need Trouba much more than we would need Puljujärvi. We have the forward depth to make some noise in a few years. What we now need is to stabilise the back end (= sign Trouba and let Hellebuyck take over the starter spot).

Any deal for Trouba between us doesn't make sense for both teams. We need one of your Swedes back, which obviously doesn't make sense for you, and if we don't get one, it makes no sense for us. We're not a good match.

Good post. You've articulated WPGs perspective perfectly, we just don't match up at this time. No need to hate on our prairie brothers :). You build your squad we'll build ours, hopefully some epic playoff matches await us in the future.

Hopefully we kick your ass like we did in the 80s as well :cheers:. Keep your mosquitos over there.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'll highlight and quote for truth, having been front and center during the 80's I can safely say it was epic. Boston/ Montreal is the only one that comes close IMO.

As for the topic at hand, today's NHL says you won't trade a $6m contract for a solid player on a cheap one(Murray's) without taking something to make it close to even. Personally, I would take Hartnell's contract in a heartbeat, in year 3 his cap hit-salary is great for a trade to a floor team.

Here, here. I want to see the Battle of Alberta matter again. When we're both good teams, it's downright tribal and warlike. Time to remind the NHL of good ol western Canadian hockey.

The issue with Hartnell is what if we can't move him? We're stuck with that contract which will overlap with McDavids 1st year of his new deal. We can't afford that on the books.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Jets are not in a panic to sign/trade Trouba. The upcoming year is not where the Jets will be contenders (more like a playoff bubble team).

Ideally we sign Trouba long-term at a fair AAV. If the two sides can't hammer that out, then he's going on a bridge...and maybe traded a year from now if we can't get a long-term contract worked out.

I really don't see it reasonable to trade Trouba now. I know everyone is bored in August, so you'll throw trade proposals involving unsigned RFAs, but it's really a waste of time.

Trouba will be playing for the Jets next year.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You guys should definitely keep Puljujarvi no mater what you get offered. I'm really looking forward to the day him and McDavid skate on the same line. Hopefully they have a left winger who can haul ass too. It actually needs to happen for the sake of history. The Generational Ontario centerman and his dynamic Finnish winger.

I think a Draisaitl for Trouba trade could be beneficial to both teams though it really hurts our Defence. We'd have to have someone else coming in to replace Trouba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad