Proposal: Puljujärvi for Trouba

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
You guys should definitely keep Puljujarvi no mater what you get offered. I'm really looking forward to the day him and McDavid skate on the same line. Hopefully they have a left winger who can haul ass too. It actually needs to happen for the sake of history. The Generational Ontario centerman and his dynamic Finnish winger.

For salary purposes as well, Puljujarvi is a big part of the top six going forward. He'll be extremely cheap and thus should out-perform his ELC while the others around him make big dollars.

I think a Draisaitl for Trouba trade could be beneficial to both teams though it really hurts our Defence. We'd have to have someone else coming in to replace Trouba.

It's probably fair in a vacuum, but unsigned RFAs rarely ever go for that much. If Trouba was coming with a reasonable long-term deal I'd do that; otherwise, there is too much risk.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
Puljujärvi for Trouba 1 for 1.

I am excited to see Puljujärvi play however addinf Trouba fixes Oilers D for the next 8 years.

Preventing GA is Defence!
Cup winners have 3 top 60 HSCA D with low SA/60 rates.

Larsson not on team last year.
1st comp
top 10 HSCA D
top 20 Sa/60 D
#1 EVGA d in game!
#12 PKGA D

Davidson missed 31gm
2nd comp
Top 30 HSCA D
top 40 Sa/60 D
top 30 EVGA D
top 5 PKGA D
Bob Mackenzies scouts said Davidson would be in any playoff teams top 4.
He had his best Def results against 1st comp.

Klefbom missed 52gm (staph infection)
1st comp
Top 60 HSCA D
top 50 Sa/60 D
Top 15 PKGA D

thru his career sekera cannot handle 1st comp.
but is a top 10 HSCA D facing 2nd comp

So last year we mostly rolled:
Sekera- Fayne/Nurse
Davidson - Schultz/Nurse
Gryba - XXX

this year we will likely be.
Davidson - Larsson
Klefbom - Fayne (moved from #1 to #4)
Sekera (moves from #2 to #5) - XXX
Nurse

why don't we see what having
3 top 60 HSCA D in our top 4
playing in front of the
#2 HSCA save% goalie the last 3 years
does for our team.

Cause we have not had a top 60 HSCA D play 60 gm for our team since 05-06

So while trading,
the best scoring 16 year old
top 5 scoring 17yr old
in Finnish elite league history
who had one of the top WJC seasons in history at 17,
may be appealing to you.

trouba does not crack our New top 3 and Sekera has a NMC.
Meaning we give away JP to WPG.
and
then Las vegas takes Trouba from us.

Just a poorly thought out trade.
Just Awful!

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
You guys should definitely keep Puljujarvi no mater what you get offered. I'm really looking forward to the day him and McDavid skate on the same line. Hopefully they have a left winger who can haul ass too. It actually needs to happen for the sake of history. The Generational Ontario centerman and his dynamic Finnish winger.

I think a Draisaitl for Trouba trade could be beneficial to both teams though it really hurts our Defence. We'd have to have someone else coming in to replace Trouba.

Agreed that line would be crazy, can't wait to see how teams handle mcdavid this year. I think dmen knew he could skate but not to the full effect, one of the best the NHL has ever seen. He would blow by them with relative ease, pulju is also a very strong skater would be fun to watch. We need defense but not at the expense of pulju, we did that with hall. Like trouba a lot though, since his college days, would love to seem him use the tools and put it all together and be a number 1 d

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Appreciate the kind words :cheers:. You've got your own Finnish Flash 2.0, it will be interesting to see these two Finnish lions battle it out in Western Canada. Hopefully both are with us for a long time and retire as an Oiler and Jet.

Value is probably close regarding Drai for Trouba, but I think we like the idea of having depth at centre. A 3 line attack with McDavid, Drai, and Nugent-Hopkins centering their own lines can create some serious mismatches in the Pacific (the Cali teams are top 6 heavy, but weaker in the bottom 6).

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Fair enough, I think your post read differently than you intended.

Certainly, if we see the same **** in our new building, our fans will revolt. Everyone will be on the table except McDavid. There is a real sense of urgency we've been missing. We only have McDavid and Drai on ELCs for a short time. The window opens now.

Agreed, hopefully you guys do well and play in the playoffs.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
No well second thought no . And people keep forgetting about expansion dradt no way Oilers are moving a exempt stud for a dmen wanting huge dollars that they have to protect opening up another dmen exposed or another forward.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Adam Larsson gets moved for Taylor Hall, but Trouba, a younger, equally good player, is going to be moved for a propsect without a single NHL game played? Give your head a shake

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No thanks

Puljujarvi >>> Trouba value wise

Trouba is horribly overrated.

I don't think so. He had a rough season but he's very young still, and Winnipeg used him oddly imo.

He impresses me almost every time I see him play. I would trade him for Puljujarvi, and I like Pulju a lot. We need defense. I definitely view Trouba as future top pairing material. He had ups and downs with Winnipeg this season, but to me it seemed his best hockey came the higher up the depth chart and more minutes he got.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Trouba ceiling is several floors lower than Puljujarvi.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Trouba ceiling is several floor lower than Puljujarvi.

We're at the point now where we don't even need to compare ceilings or take shots at each other.

Both can respectfully decline for reasonable reasons. We can't afford Trouba with the impending pay day McDavid and Drai will get. WPG has an abundance of wingers and would need a D coming back for Trouba. D is our biggest need and we simply cannot send one the other way.

Nothing else needs to be said really. Plus, I think we like the thought of Pulju eventually being McDavids RWer. The speed and skill between those two will be difficult to defend.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
We're at the point now where we don't even need to compare ceilings or take shots at each other.

Both can respectfully decline for reasonable reasons. We can't afford Trouba with the impending pay day McDavid and Drai will get. WPG has an abundance of wingers and would need a D coming back for Trouba. D is our biggest need and we simply cannot send one the other way.

Nothing else needs to be said really. Plus, I think we like the thought of Pulju eventually being McDavids RWer. The speed and skill between those two will be difficult to defend.

Its not a shot.
Puljujarvi projects to frachise player
Trouba's ceiling is second liner

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Adam Larsson gets moved for Taylor Hall, but Trouba, a younger, equally good player, is going to be moved for a propsect without a single NHL game played? Give your head a shake

So you're saying Trouba can bring back say... A Jaden Schwartz or Mark Stone type player? Don't know about that. Maybe, depending on team needs... I'd think Winnipeg would have to add though.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
So you're saying Trouba can bring back say... A Jaden Schwartz or Mark Stone type player? Don't know about that. Maybe, depending on team needs... I'd think Winnipeg would have to add though.

Well Trouba is better than Larsson so he'd probably return a better package :)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Remember when Oilers fans were all up in arms about Hall for Larsson when it happened? Now Larsson is the second coming of Pronger, it seems.

Just give him his extension. He doesn't fit for us.

It's nothing against Trouba as a player, he's a very good young Dman. Financial realities make it unpractical. Part of the reason Chia targeted Larsson was because of his favourable contract ($4.166 cap hit through until the end of the 2020-21 season). Plus EDM doesn't have any D to offer in return.

Who thinks Larsson is the second coming of Pronger? I know I sure don't, I think most reasonable Oiler fans don't either. If you're referring to Oilerbear and his idiosyncratic statistical analysis/posting format, he's our resident savant. Can't tell if he's crazy, or if he's on some rainman type level and see's things we all miss. Sometimes I can follow what he's saying and think he's onto something, other times I don't know what the **** he is talking about or where he's going with his analysis :laugh:. A true enigma.

Come on Jets fans, and even some of my Oil brethren taking shots we're both in the basement and just got through a year where we didn't hear O Canada played once during the playoffs. A bloody travesty if you ask me. Save the hate for the teams at the top of our divisions that we need to beat. We'll ramp it up when we're good again and meet in the playoffs playing meaningful hockey.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
he isnt tho.

Larsson is the better playmaker, Trouba scores more goals. Larsson is much better at shot suppression, where Trouba is far better at shot generation. Both are roughly equal in terms of shot differentials and offensive production playing very similar quality minutes. Trouba is a year and a half younger. What makes Larsson more valuable than Trouba?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Lol no he's not. Trouba will be lucky to be as good as Larsson is when he hits his prime.

It's quotes like this that really show how Trouba has become underrated around these forums. Larsson is better at shot suppression but Trouba is better at shot generation, so their shot differentials work out to about the same. Trouba produces more offence with less talented linemates, and both play roughly the same quality and amount of minutes. Trouba is younger and already as good as Larsson my man.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Just give him his extension. He doesn't fit for us.

It's nothing against Trouba as a player, he's a very good young Dman. Financial realities make it unpractical. Part of the reason Chia targeted Larsson was because of his favourable contract ($4.166 cap hit through until the end of the 2020-21 season). Plus EDM doesn't have any D to offer in return.

Come on Jets fans, and even some of my Oil brethren taking shots we're both in the basement and just got through a year where we didn't hear O Canada played once during the playoffs. A bloody travesty if you ask me. Save the hate for the teams at the top of our divisions that we need to beat. We'll ramp it up when we're good again and meet in the playoffs playing meaningful hockey.

And I would like nothing more than to pay Trouba what he's worth. This summer has been long, and we've been dogged by these stupid and incessant rumours and topics all summer, so forgive us if we are a little short-tempered about the subject.

Trouba was hfboards' darling after his rookie season, and now he's apparently only a #3 D, extremely overrated, and not fit to carry Reilly's jockstrap. To you Leaf fans who want to comment on this, shut it. The two have been compared to each other ad nauseum over the last 4 years. I don't want to hear you whining about being brought up in a thread that has nothing to do with you.

Hockey needs to start already. I'm tired of reading the same old stupid **** on this board.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
And I would like nothing more than to pay Trouba what he's worth. This summer has been long, and we've been dogged by these stupid and incessant rumours and topics all summer, so forgive us if we are a little short-tempered about the subject.

Trouba was hfboards' darling after his rookie season, and now he's apparently only a #3 D, extremely overrated, and not fit to carry Reilly's jockstrap. To you Leaf fans who want to comment on this, shut it. The two have been compared to ad nauseum over the last 4 years. I don't want to hear you whining about being brought up in a thread that has nothing to do with you.

Hockey needs to start already. I'm tired of reading the same old stupid **** on this board.

Me too, it seems to have gone to ridiculous levels of immaturity lately. Hard to reasonably talk hockey with fellow fans.

I can see the vexing nature of the Trouba situation. His agent is a ****. Plain and simple, sorry to be blunt. He has a history of being adversarial to negotiate with.

I'm seeing some (not all) Leaf fans arrogantly proclaiming bottom 5 lotto pick for us and Nylander > Drai, Marner > Pulju with such ignorant exuberance. Some truly believe throwing 5-7+ rookies into the lineup will result in them finishing way ahead of the Oilers (we'll likely only dress 1 rookie, max 2 in sheltered roles). I know we've been terrible the past decade, but our team is objectively different than previous years, no point in trying to convince people. We need to see results.

I would rather just remain relatively modest and not return the vitriol and argue against the smug arrogance. I just want to see my team battle hard every night and let the chips fall where they may. I truly believe we have legitimate reasons to be optimistic. The EDM, BUF, TOR thread will be interesting to revisit down the road. No predictions where EDM will be, but it's not unreasonable to think we can be a solid competitive hockey team.

Last edited:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
At least Chia is trying to change the culture of the team, which is more than what you can say about his predecessors. He isn't much of a builder though, so you need to be careful about that. I'm perfectly happy with everybody forgetting that the Jets exist sometimes. It means less stupid things to read through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad