Proposal: Puljujärvi for Trouba

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ive actually watched trouba play enough to judge him. You're gonna see him come up with a beautiful move from time to time and on some nights he makes himself look like a top pairing Dman. However, on far too many nights, he looks like an average second pairing and doing nothing special.

Over an entire season he outplays the opposition in important measureable areas of the game, despite being paired with a terrible partner. Maybe you're missing some of the important subtleties that make an effective defenseman. If you're expecting "beautiful moves" and looking pretty, you're going to be pretty disappointed in Larsson, even if he plays a rock-solid defensive game. He might not look great to some, depending on how you judge defensemen.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd do it. I'd even add some depth stuff that won't convince any Jets fans that its a better deal (picks, etc.)

Klefbom-Larsson
Sekera-Trouba
Davidson-Fayne
Oesterle

Let's us marinate Nurse and Reinhart in the AHL until injuries hit (and they always do).

the expansion would have to be 8-1 though to protect our defence

Drasaitl, RNH, Lucic, Eberle

Trouba, Sekera, Larsson, Klefbom

underage: Mcdavid, Nurse, Puljujarvi

exposed: Yakupov, Pouliot, Maroon, Kassian, Reinhart, Davidson.

We canonly lose one of those players

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah I've seen Trouba play many times. He's always looked average and underwhelming. Sorry to break it to you bro.

Wait'll you watch Larsson. He's going to disappoint if you are using criteria like "looks average and underwhelming".

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Wait'll you watch Larsson. He's going to disappoint if you are using criteria like "looks average and underwhelming".

Well, if he can be a +15 player while playing the hardest and most minutes as he did last season with the Devils, I'd be happy with that.

Is Trouba's about to sign a six year deal for $4.167m?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Yeah I've seen Trouba play many times. He's always looked average and underwhelming. Sorry to break it to you bro.

Sorry to break it to you bro but I've watched every game that Trouba has played in the NHL and to me he looks like a solid #3 guy - and what a coincidence that's also what the numbers suggest he plays as!

How many Jets game do you think you've watched the last couple seasons?

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Larsson is the better playmaker, Trouba scores more goals. Larsson is much better at shot suppression, where Trouba is far better at shot generation. Both are roughly equal in terms of shot differentials and offensive production playing very similar quality minutes. Trouba is a year and a half younger. What makes Larsson more valuable than Trouba?

His contract

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
But value is value. Larsson who is an older and worse defender was traded for Taylor Hall...one of the better LWs in the game. It would stand to reason that Trouba being younger and better would generate a larger return.

But you're ignoring the meat of my post. I'll explain again and it's pretty simple...

Larsson at $4M for the next 5 years > Trouba RFA rights and what is sure to be a more pricey contract than Larsson's.

I disagree that Trouba is a better "defender". Larsson played some of the hardest minutes in the league with heavy defensive zone minutes and ended up a +15 on a team that had a -24 goal differential. I know that +/- isn't the end all be all but it's pretty telling when he's that strongly in the plus column on a team that was routinely outscored when he wasn't on the ice (-39).

Anyway, regardless of what each fanbase thinks of their player, the FACT remains and the only facts in this whole argument are that Larsson's contract is $4M+ for the next 5 years while Trouba doesn't have a contract currently. One would think that the bargain contract of two similar level players would hold more value.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
I can't get over how insanely overrated Trouba is.

He hasn't even improved much at all since his great rookie year. I would easily take Klefbom or Larsson over Trouba.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I can't get over how insanely overrated Trouba is.

He hasn't even improved much at all since his great rookie year. I would easily take Klefbom or Larsson over Trouba.

We'll just compare how all 3 play against each other at the word cup in a few weeks....oh wait.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think Larsson and Trouba are "very" similar value contract aside.

Larsson is signed to a pretty decent long term deal, which adds value compared to whatever Trouba signs which is likely higher dollars then Larsson contract.

Trouba is about 2 years younger which lessens the gap between them.

Overall really depends on what Trouba signs for and term. Both good young D.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Tons as in........

Trouba has been Rielly's most common comparable since they were both drafted. I catch games whenever possible to try and see where they stack up against each other.

Trouba has so much to prove to meet the crazy standards that Jets fans are setting for him.

Trouba looked fantastic in his rookie year and I thought the Jets beat us handily in that draft. Nowadays, I'm so glad we ended up with Rielly.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Trouba has been Rielly's most common comparable since they were both drafted. I catch games whenever possible to try and see where they stack up against each other.

Trouba has so much to prove to meet the crazy standards that Jets fans are setting for him.

Whenever possible meaning.....how many games are we talking about here? Like.....per season.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Whenever possible meaning.....how many games are we talking about here? Like.....per season.

Do you think I have a ****ing whiteboard with every team written on it and keep track of how many games of each team I watch?

I've watched tons of Trouba, like I said, I want to see where he stacks against Rielly as he's been his most commonly compared peer since they've been drafted.

If you have a different opinion about Trouba that's totally fine.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Do you think I have a ****ing whiteboard with every team written on it and keep track of how many games of each team I watch?

I've watched tons of Trouba, like I said, I want to see where he stacks against Rielly as he's been his most commonly compared peer since they've been drafted.

If you have a different opinion about Trouba that's totally fine.

Right but we aren't on Sportsnet a bunch and you're in a region locked area for most of our games so.....like.....5 games a season? Guesstimate for me here.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Right but we aren't on Sportsnet a bunch and you're in a region locked area for most of our games so.....like.....5 games a season? Guesstimate for me here.

Buddy we're in 2016 in the golden era of the internet, if there's a hockey game I want to watch I'm going to find a way to watch it.

More than 5 games a season, much more.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

Trouba looked fantastic in his rookie year and I thought the Jets beat us handily in that draft. Nowadays, I'm so glad we ended up with Rielly.

Here's the diffrence. Ehlers isn't worried about anything if he buzzes the crease with reilly on the ice. Nylander on the other hand knows he would be picking his teeth out of his you know what if he did the same. You see the diffrence.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Dude, he's nothing but a casual watcher likely seen play 3-5 games a year and now is an expert. Don't feed him.

One thing I've learnt with all these Trouba threads, player values aside, is how little people know about Trouba's actual play but are willing to give their opinion. My favorite response is when they say "he's gotten worse each year", immediately you know these guys who say that are clueless point watchers. :laugh:

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Larsson was a +15 last year playing those tough minutes, the highest of any d-man on NJ by a fair margin. Doesn't sound like "consistently beaten" to me.

He was IMO a big reason New Jersey was flirting with a playoff spot for a big chunk of the season when roster-wise they really had no business being in the hunt at all.

Larsson is a very good young d-man, I don't think there are many D in the league under the age of 25 better than him. And he's also signed long term to a very good deal (4 mill per) which increases his value.

The Jets at this point kinda need to just sign Trouba, even if it's an overpay. If they are going to try to trade him now, they kinda missed the boat here. Could've gotten maybe Taylor Hall for Trouba earlier in the summer or even gotten into the PK Subban sweepstakes, but it's too late for that now.

Did you actually try to use +/-? Mark Stuart would be a +15 playing in front of Corey Schneider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad