Salary Cap: Projected 84-88.2 Million Next Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
At 84M (assuming no virus problems and Leafs make playoffs) we got 6.2M to spend on 5/6 players. Assuming trade AJ that means 9.6M for 6/7 players.
How much is Mik? How much is Dermy? Clifford? Spezza?
Assuming we walk from Malgin and Goat unless at league minimum and maybe even then we do.
And then we need to leave some $$$ for Rielly next year ...

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
At 84M (assuming no virus problems and Leafs make playoffs) we got 6.2M to spend on 5/6 players. Assuming trade AJ that means 9.6M for 6/7 players.
How much is Mik? How much is Dermy? Clifford? Spezza?
Assuming we walk from Malgin and Goat unless at league minimum and maybe even then we do.
And then we need to leave some $$$ for Rielly next year ...

Spezza - near minimum

Dermy - 2.5?

Mik - Maybe only silver lining about his injury is it may lower his price tag - 3mx3 years?

Clifford - we give up a pick if we sign him. I'd like to, but not at the 2m+ he's at now.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Spezza - near minimum

Dermy - 2.5?

Mik - Maybe only silver lining about his injury is it may lower his price tag - 3mx3 years?

Clifford - we give up a pick if we sign him. I'd like to, but not at the 2m+ he's at now.
There you go. Add it up. We have to trade AJ/Kerfoot. or go with a 20 man roster. Swap one of those guys for a decent defender at 2M per. Tell Clifford you will catch him up when CAP goes up with US TV deal. It is going to be tough to make it work.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Spezza - near minimum

Dermy - 2.5?

3x3 for Mikheyev?

He scored 8 goals in 39 games and then suffered a catostrophic injury... WTF.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
On pace for 49 points, almost all 5v5, killed penalties, 52%GF....what's not to like?
I was throwing a dart an a average AAV for Dermott and Mikheyev of $2.75M, so expecting a similar range as you on average at least. I think a discounted version of the Kapanen/Johnsson contracts sounds about right for Mikheyev, not sure how you justify much lower than that

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Agreed. This year was always going to be the "pinch" year in Toronto.

No Ceci next year, move Johnsson/Kerfoot, suddenly we have some cap space for another Muzzin, and to start planning for Rielly's raise.
That's exactly why I don't think we need to break the bank for Pietrangelo and risk handcuffing the Leafs in the future, even with the raise in the cap. You're looking at at least 8 million on the open market for him. I'd rather bring in a guy at 4-6, then give a raise for Rielly, because he sure as hell deserves it.

How come he didn't push for 8-year deals if he was so certain about this then?
Who says he didn't though? Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I'm pretty sure it was confirmed with the Matthews deal that he had a choice between multiple offers from the Leafs. My assumption is that one of those deals would have been for 8 years. With Marner? I don't know . At the end of the day, we're talking about potentially having to sign these guys to contracts where they all expire the same season, at least staggering them a little bit, gives more flexibility with the cap. Also, its not a new thing where a star player takes a 5-6 year deal, I'm not sure why this is so overblown. Crosby, Kane, Toews, Malkin, Marchand, Stamkos, Pastrnak , Oliver Ekman-Larsson , Huberdeau, Barkov, etc etc all took less than 7 year deals.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
On pace for 49 points, almost all 5v5, killed penalties, 52%GF....what's not to like?

I didn't say I didn't like him, but 39 games at that performance level just doesn't earn you that kind of salary OR term, nevermind both.

That's basically the Johnsson/Kapanen contract, and they had 20 goal seasons and larger resumes.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I didn't say I didn't like him, but 39 games at that performance level just doesn't earn you that kind of salary OR term, nevermind both.

That's basically the Johnsson/Kapanen contract, and they had 20 goal seasons and larger resumes.

That's fair. I think 3x3 is the right range, though, and I'd be shocked if he dips down around 1.5-2. Would be great for us, though, as I think he's a legit top 6 option for the current era.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That's fair. I think 3x3 is the right range, though, and I'd be shocked if he dips down around 1.5-2. Would be great for us, though, as I think he's a legit top 6 option for the current era.

I think he goes 1 year and it starts with a 1, just because he's not proven as much so both sides may want 1 year so he can prove it before committing long term/being lowballed long term depending on which side you're on.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The "fringes" is apparently two top 4 D and a couple bottom pair guys. Interesting take.

Holl, for better or worse, has pretty much cemented himself as a #4 defenceman for us next year.

That leaves 1 top 4 (ideally top 2), 1 top 6 (could be Dermott), and a bunch of fringe forwards.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I was throwing a dart an a average AAV for Dermott and Mikheyev of $2.75M, so expecting a similar range as you on average at least. I think a discounted version of the Kapanen/Johnsson contracts sounds about right for Mikheyev, not sure how you justify much lower than that

Pierre Engvall with similar numbers got 2 x $1.25m.

I don't see how you justify that kind of commitment for a guy with less than 40 games NHL experience.

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
The real overpaid player on the team is Marner. If he continues to produce the way he has this season, you probably look at swapping him for a couple of players who can help.

Reactions: MJK

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think he goes 1 year and it starts with a 1, just because he's not proven as much so both sides may want 1 year so he can prove it before committing long term/being lowballed long term depending on which side you're on.
Let's hope common sense prevails here. I mean we need him but we also need to shore up our defense too. Dermy won't take us to the cleaners-2-2.5M AAV and 2 years is fine. Mik I go no idea what will happen.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The real overpaid player on the team is Marner. If he continues to produce the way he has this season, you probably look at swapping him for a couple of players who can help.
This is true for next 2 years. But his last 3 should be fine.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Pierre Engvall with similar numbers got 2 x $1.25m.

I don't see how you justify that kind of commitment for a guy with less than 40 games NHL experience.
Engvall didn't have similar numbers though, 14pts in 35 games when he signed to Mikheyev's 23 in 39

I'm happy to get Mikheyev for less but I think that's what it will take. You're placing a bet, and we saw enough from him to make me think he's a good bet at the low end of the Kapanen/Johnsson range

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad