Salary Cap: Projected 84-88.2 Million Next Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Engval is on his ELC and Barrie's cap hit is 2.5.

But tell me more about contracts :laugh:
Engvall should not be on this team.
He is not a good hockey player.
= Bad Contract.
Barrie has hurt this team as much as help = bad contract.
Kerfoot - Brutal - Awful player = bad contract. Terrible trade.
Kap same thing , bad hockey player; should have traded him asap = bad contract.
Johnsson - minor league like Engvall And Kerfoot.
Cici - I like him but with our Cap situation ( hmmm ) we should have let him walk and gotten a good backup months ago.
Campbell has looked good.
But look at our Defence.
Good Lord!!
This guy thinks we can pass and skill our way to a Cup.
Never happen.
Big changes needed.
I'm not a Troll.
I adore the Leafs.
More voices is generally a good thing if you contribute ideas that you believe in.
I thought this board was a welcoming place where different ideas would promote discussion and an open exchange of ideas.
How would I know if a poster is Stupid?
I don't know them.
Lots seem to denigrate someone who disagrees with them.
Trying to get them banned.
I don't change my name.
I quite simply loathe the composition of this Team.
And I'm not afraid to say it.
BTY - I'm not a contract guy.
I like to focus on the game on the ice.
That is really all that matters.

Reactions: MJK and LeafsRus

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
If you had said this a year ago, I'd be inclined to agree with you... but the fact is, Dermott had ample opportunity to step up this year and prove he can be a full time top 4 guy, and in his first 48 games or so, failed to do so.

Internally, we don't have better options, that's why Dubas is looking externally, so much so that he fully admitted looking for a defenceman with term leading up to the deadline. Generally GMs tend to be more coy about what they'd like to add.

The fact that Justin Holl has stepped up into that role does help the Leafs in keeping Dermott in a way, as his $2-3m salary means that you can probably afford to have a $2m guy as your #5.

Overall, I just don't think it's realistic that the Dubas does even worse than sitting on his hands, so that he can maintain the luxury of Engvall being a 4th line player.
I agree that Dermott's total body of work this year isn't the linear development we hoped for which for me was the same kind of dominance he'd put on in the first couple of seasons in a bigger role. I think we should also recognize that he was not abysmal though in those first 48 games, he was waaay better than other top 4 guys we've had in the recent past like Zaitsev and Ceci.

This organization has been big on "not taking the test early" so they can make decisions with the most information at their disposal as possible. Since Muzzin went down, Dermott has been exactly what we hoped he would, so I dont think that Dubas will be pre-determining what his plans will be until he sees if this level of play keeps up...especially given that the word is Dermott was a Dubas pick rather than a Hunter pick. If his ROS and playoffs look like the last few, the first 48 won't matter so much.

He's also been absolutely carrying Holl who's been borderline awful since they got put together. I'm hoping that wasn't a false positive.

In an $86M cap scenario (middle of the projected range), we would have about $2M in cap space with Dermott & Mikheyev averaging $2.75M and the 4th line with Engvall + two guys making less than a million which I think Spezza/Goat/Clifford will, assuming you didn't trade anyone. If there's a legitimate upgrade available that fits under the cap on free agency or by a trade that doesnt gut the future I'm all for it, I just want to properly assess what we have which is all of a sudden looking pretty good

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
= Bad Contract.
Cici - I like him but with our Cap situation ( hmmm ) we should have let him walk and gotten a good backup months ago.
But look at our Defence.
Good Lord!!
Never happen.
Big changes needed.
I'm not a Troll.
I adore the Leafs.
More voices is generally a good thing if you contribute ideas that you believe in.
I thought this board was a welcoming place where different ideas would promote discussion and an open exchange of ideas.
I don't know them.
I don't change my name.

Clearly you're focused on a lot more than that :laugh:

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Crossing my fingers that the bigger market Canadian teams make the playoffs for league related revenue. Throw the Rangers in there too.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I agree that Dermott's total body of work this year isn't the linear development we hoped for which for me was the same kind of dominance he'd put on in the first couple of seasons in a bigger role. I think we should also recognize that he was not abysmal though in those first 48 games, he was waaay better than other top 4 guys we've had in the recent past like Zaitsev and Ceci.

This organization has been big on "not taking the test early" so they can make decisions with the most information at their disposal as possible. Since Muzzin went down, Dermott has been exactly what we hoped he would, so I dont think that Dubas will be pre-determining what his plans will be until he sees if this level of play keeps up...especially given that the word is Dermott was a Dubas pick rather than a Hunter pick. If his ROS and playoffs look like the last few, the first 48 won't matter so much.

He's also been absolutely carrying Holl who's been borderline awful since they got put together. I'm hoping that wasn't a false positive.

In an $86M cap scenario (middle of the projected range), we would have about $2M in cap space with Dermott & Mikheyev averaging $2.75M and the 4th line with Engvall + two guys making less than a million which I think Spezza/Goat/Clifford will, assuming you didn't trade anyone. If there's a legitimate upgrade available that fits under the cap on free agency or by a trade that doesnt gut the future I'm all for it, I just want to properly assess what we have which is all of a sudden looking pretty good

I think your numbers are high for both Dermott and Mikeheyev. Johnsson is an incredibly easy trade to make given the emergence of Mikeheyev and Engvall, giving the Leafs $5m easy to spend on an upgraded defenceman if thats where the cap ends up.

Resistance

Nov 10, 2019
Considering we will soon be moving to empty arena games, like within 2 weeks, I’d pump the breaks. A lot of lost revenue coming up, and unless the NHL makes exception, a drop of up to 10 million of the cap.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think your numbers are high for both Dermott and Mikeheyev. Johnsson is an incredibly easy trade to make given the emergence of Mikeheyev and Engvall, giving the Leafs $5m easy to spend on an upgraded defenceman if thats where the cap ends up.
I hope you're right but I dont see it on Dermott and Mikheyev.

Engvall hasn't looked it since he signed, he's a good player but I dont think he'll produce like Johnsson. We can probably afford to lose a forward but I'd be waiting until we know we're getting everyone back. If Dermott has emerged, we dont really need that defenseman either so again I'd wait to find out before making a decision

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
Any evidence Columbus would actually make that trade? I doubt it
It will never happen in reality but it is not a bad read on a trade for a top D man. CLB is limited of a high end offensive guy like Marner (w/o Panarin now) and Marner would fit well when Atkinson and Anderson are healthy. I don't think its a bad offer at all.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The question becomes whether we want to go big fish hunting or buy a few guys to pad the depth with the missing ingredients.

I cant see the team doing that unless it ends up closer to 88 mil or they move out one of the three biggest contracts of the team (which is unlikely).

Bit who knows right now

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
He is not worth anything close to that. He is meh on all fronts. Personally I think there will be lots of turnover on our blue line if we are successful in wooing a prized 1st pairing RHD.

Personally would like any of the following provided we aren’t overpaying or bleeding assets:

Pietro
Manson
Dumba
Savard

Tanev-with his injury history might be a bad idea

Hamonic-not a first pairing guy but can be the physicality and stay at home guy to Rielly’s puck moving skills.

Ideal world
Rielly Pietro
Muzzin Liljegren
Sandin Holl
Rosen
Replace Holl with Dermott

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Very nice.

Ceci off the books, only Dermott and Mikheyev need raises, and Johnsson probably moved for some draft picks. Gives us plenty of room to add a defenseman, even more so if we get rid of Kerfoot as well. I imagine we will take a run at Pietrangelo if he's available, I hope we let Barrie walk, and we can take a shot at a guy like DeMelo for cheap if a big deal falls through.
Like all of this.

member 300185

= Bad Contract.
But look at our Defence.
Good Lord!!
Never happen.
Big changes needed.
I'm not a Troll.
I adore the Leafs.

I don't know them.
I don't change my name.

Ok, to answer the 3rd bolded, just look at the first bolded.

And why the hell did you post all that in poem form?

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad