Salary Cap: Projected 84-88.2 Million Next Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Imagine trading Marner for Jones and signing Pietrangelo...

Rielly Pietrangelo
Muzzin Jones
Dermott Holl
Sandin Liljegren

Andersen
Campbell

We'd be a team that has everything.
I think Columbus would only consider trading Jones for one, maybe two players in the entire league. We don’t have one of those players on our roster, and they definitely wouldn’t consider taking Marner for him.

Reactions: MJK

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think Columbus would only consider trading Jones for one, maybe two players in the entire league. We don’t have one of those players on our roster, and they definitely wouldn’t consider taking Marner for him.
Which is great news, because that would be a horrible trade for us, especially if we already have Pietrangelo.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Here's hoping we find out.

One very positive thing about Kerfoot is that he has played his best games as center. Opposed to C/W guys that excel at wing, when you really need a center. Teams like to take flyers towards centers, because you always need those, so I think Kerfoot is very movable.

Reactions: ACC1224

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
If you had said this a year ago, I'd be inclined to agree with you... but the fact is, Dermott had ample opportunity to step up this year and prove he can be a full time top 4 guy, and in his first 48 games or so, failed to do so.

Dermott lost whole summer of training and first 12 games of the season. That's big deal for young player. I'm not saying that he bounce back as bonafide 3 dman for us next season. Though there is possibility that trading him now might be anything from mistake to huge mistake. It all depends of return, if the risk is worth it. Experts say that it takes 300 games in NHL for dman to be fully ready for the league. So it's always little bit risky to develop young dman close to that point, endure difficulties and then trade him.

I admit that he is one the best trade chips we have, so we might have to trade to him.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Dermott lost whole summer of training and first 12 games of the season. That's big deal for young player. I'm not saying that he bounce back as bonafide 3 dman for us next season. Though there is possibility that trading him now might be anything from mistake to huge mistake. It all depends of return, if the risk is worth it. Experts say that it takes 300 games in NHL for dman to be fully ready for the league. So it's always little bit risky to develop young dman close to that point, endure difficulties and then trade him.

I admit that he is one the best trade chips we have, so we might have to trade to him.
300 is low. 500 was always the test water mark. Dermy could win the Norris in 3-4 years or he could be solid 4/5 guy. or anywhere in between. No one can tell at his age. He is still a kid. Defensemen take much longer. Right now we got 3 promising kids. We are developing defense FINALLY. We only need to match them up with vets for a while so they get right kind of development. Everything else will take care of itself.

Reilly Dermy
Muzzy Holl
Sandin XXX
Rosen Lily (in AHL with callups)

If we get a good vet 1/2 defender then Dermy can slide down with Sandin and then move the 1/2 with Rielly.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
It's actually the opposite.

His blunder with Mathews' term will mean we don't get any relief with his deal. His next deal will be an insane number, and his deal will never look like a bargain like say Crosby's does today (and has for a while).
That is assuming Matthews will ask for max dollars and looking at where his development is going, it may be worth it. Ultimately, we don't know where the cap will be in 5 years time, we don't know what Auston will ask for in 5 years time, nor do we know if he gets promised the captaincy for the following year when Tavares' contract expires, which in my opinion is what will happen. I'd imagine that would play a big factor in his contract negotiations .

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Well let’s be serious, he had back to back 61 point seasons, and a half season of .5 ppg which was less than even his rookie year where he played 22 games. Let’s try not to pretend it’s anything other than he had a bad year and missed training camp.

the funny fans are the glass half empty fans. Everything is negative. Tough way to live your life.
Remind me why he missed training camp again? Oh because he chose to. Right :)

He's been good. I just like how you his apply your rules. Hahaha

filthyMitz

Feb 5, 2018
Indiana
Engvall should not be on this team.
He is not a good hockey player.
= Bad Contract.
Barrie has hurt this team as much as help = bad contract.
Kerfoot - Brutal - Awful player = bad contract. Terrible trade.
Kap same thing , bad hockey player; should have traded him asap = bad contract.
Johnsson - minor league like Engvall And Kerfoot.
Cici - I like him but with our Cap situation ( hmmm ) we should have let him walk and gotten a good backup months ago.
Campbell has looked good.
But look at our Defence.
Good Lord!!
This guy thinks we can pass and skill our way to a Cup.
Never happen.
Big changes needed.
I'm not a Troll.
I adore the Leafs.
More voices is generally a good thing if you contribute ideas that you believe in.
I thought this board was a welcoming place where different ideas would promote discussion and an open exchange of ideas.
How would I know if a poster is Stupid?
I don't know them.
Lots seem to denigrate someone who disagrees with them.
Trying to get them banned.
I don't change my name.
I quite simply loathe the composition of this Team.
And I'm not afraid to say it.
BTY - I'm not a contract guy.
I like to focus on the game on the ice.
That is really all that matters.
We couldn’t let ceci walk, he would’ve went to arb
Kap is a guy that you keep (sure he’s had some troubles but he’s showing to be comfortable controlling our third line now)
Johnsson is a good player, his year was disappointing (close to his normal production but not quite there), but that’s mostly due to his injury trouble.
Barrie was the next best option after Kadri nulled the Calgary trade.
Kerfoot is a good 3C bad 2LW, I’m ok if he stays or goes.
I’m not gonna say your stupid but all that extra bologna you wrote at the bottom makes you think you might be a bit reactionary when it comes to how you form your opinions. Also if you want your voice to be heard maybe there should be something in between a 3rd line player and a minor leaguer. IDK like a 4the line or 13th forward or something.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Remind me why he missed training camp again? Oh because he chose to. Right :)

He's been good. I just like how you his apply your rules. Hahaha
Hahahaha, he bet on himself. Haha and who turned out to be right haha. Salty haha. Good for him he got paid what he deserved. :)

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Hahahaha, he bet on himself. Haha and who turned out to be right haha. Salty haha. Good for him he got paid what he deserved. :)
Again....1 good season makes you right but a tire fire season doesn't prove you wrong?

Not salty. Just giggling at Willy homer logic. The difference is I can call a spade a spade :) Never go full homer.

You think he's proved himself? Great step in the right direction this year for sure but has a long way to go. Lets see if he can not score on his own net this playoffs to start :)

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Engvall should not be on this team.
He is not a good hockey player.
= Bad Contract.
Barrie has hurt this team as much as help = bad contract.
Kerfoot - Brutal - Awful player = bad contract. Terrible trade.
Kap same thing , bad hockey player; should have traded him asap = bad contract.
Johnsson - minor league like Engvall And Kerfoot.
Cici - I like him but with our Cap situation ( hmmm ) we should have let him walk and gotten a good backup months ago.
Campbell has looked good.
But look at our Defence.
Good Lord!!
This guy thinks we can pass and skill our way to a Cup.
Never happen.
Big changes needed.
I'm not a Troll.
I adore the Leafs.
More voices is generally a good thing if you contribute ideas that you believe in.
I thought this board was a welcoming place where different ideas would promote discussion and an open exchange of ideas.
How would I know if a poster is Stupid?
I don't know them.
Lots seem to denigrate someone who disagrees with them.
Trying to get them banned.
I don't change my name.
I quite simply loathe the composition of this Team.
And I'm not afraid to say it.
BTY - I'm not a contract guy.
I like to focus on the game on the ice.
That is really all that matters.

Engvall/Johnsson are both solid NHLers. Engvall has been awesome for us, especially on the PK. Johnsson has been exactly what we expected, he's just been hurt all year. Kapanen has been amazing. Never quits, he's been hitting/fighting, providing secondary scoring, excellent PKer.

Ceci you like ? He's been awful, if there's anyone that's an AHLer here, it's him.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Again....1 good season makes you right but a tire fire season doesn't prove you wrong?

Not salty. Just giggling at Willy homer logic. The difference is I can call a spade a spade :) Never go full homer.

You think he's proved himself? Great step in the right direction this year for sure but has a long way to go. Lets see if he can not score on his own net this playoffs to start :)
He is hardly playing above what he did in his first 2 full seasons. And is playing closer to that than the half season.

you’re not calling a spade a spade no matter what you tell yourself. You’re holding a grudge because he bet on himself and wanted what he felt he deserved. There’s a good chance you yourself would have done the same thing at whatever you do.

Just because you’re salty he sat out, doesn’t mean it was wrong, nor does it make you any more enlightened to brush people off as ‘willy homers’ I’m not a willy homer. I’m a realist who sees that what he played at last year was a statistical anomaly based on a number of factors that wasn’t likely to continue.

but you can’t argue with someone like you because you’re always correct, and if it wasn’t willy, it would be something else to bit ch and moan about.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
He is hardly playing above what he did in his first 2 full seasons. And is playing closer to that than the half season.

you’re not calling a spade a spade no matter what you tell yourself. You’re holding a grudge because he bet on himself and wanted what he felt he deserved. There’s a good chance you yourself would have done the same thing at whatever you do.

Just because you’re salty he sat out, doesn’t mean it was wrong, nor does it make you any more enlightened to brush people off as ‘willy homers’ I’m not a willy homer. I’m a realist who sees that what he played at last year was a statistical anomaly based on a number of factors that wasn’t likely to continue.

but you can’t argue with someone like you because you’re always correct, and if it wasn’t willy, it would be something else to bit ch and moan about.
No. He was awful last season. As much as you want to ignore that. So potting 30 when he's lighting up Bernier for 2 while on IV doesn't impress me much. Go Willy. Hard to fault his game at all this year. He just has a hole to dig outta with me. It's what happens when you bail on your team :)

The90

Feb 27, 2017
No. He was awful last season. As much as you want to ignore that. So potting 30 when he's lighting up Bernier for 2 while on IV doesn't impress me much. Go Willy. Hard to fault his game at all this year. He just has a hole to dig outta with me. It's what happens when you bail on your team :)
Or did management bail on him by not offering him enough?

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
No it isn't. Lucic makes like 7 million dollars and sucks. That's a bad contract. Marner is a slightly overpaid superstar who probably won't be overpaid at all in a year or two.

So handcuff the team for a year or 2 cause maybe. You can't sign contracts like that.

Reactions: MJK

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'd really like to see any Cap increases invested in the defense core, now that it seems the backup goalie situation has been resolved.

Reactions: yubbers

The90

Feb 27, 2017
fwiw, Nylander was awful for a very small part of last year when he first got back. On the whole, he was about the same net effect as he has been this season with the big difference being luck - 7.2% Oish% last year vs. 12.2% this year (which is more in line with other top 6 forwards). He was still an excellent possession player last year, hugely positive in all the scoring chance and expected goal categories & relatives. The reality was that his box score stats weren't as good last year, but the filter of luck is very real.
He’s got his head up his hole. But yes, you are 1000% correct and exactly on my thinking. He’s going down some Personal abandonment issue road on his own.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad