Salary Cap: Projected 84-88.2 Million Next Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I really want Pietrangelo but this is a double edged sword. We would have the cap space, but now St. Louis likely can afford to keep him and Parayko. If possible, trade AJ and Kerfoot with Ceci coming off, sign AP and a depth winger for 3rd/4th line and this team is infinitely better, but we shall see what Dubas has in store.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Looks like the 84 million is 0% cap inflater and 88.2 is magically the 5% inflater

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
Hoping for 86 million cap. This would allow us to retain players like Clifford, Spezza and Micheyev on the current roster. Trade Dermott along with a forward (Kerfoot and/or Johnsson) for a defensive piece like Dumba or Larsson. Sign another RHD either Tanev, Demelo, Vatanen. Sign Craig Smith as you 3rd line C. Add a winger for size and grit in FA (Derek Grant).

Reilly-Dumba
Muzzin-Tanev
Sandin-Lilly/Holl

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Micheyev-Tavares-Nylander
Grant-Smith-Kapanen
Clifford-Spezza-Engvall
That’s a really good looking team right there. I doubt we get all those pieces but that would be the dream. We’d have to give more to get dumba, so we’d have to aim lower than him I think.

What are the chances we sign all those free agents though? Hard to say, but it’s unlikely. If we’re looking at them, then other teams will be looking at them as well.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
This is very encouraging especially when you consider the primary factors that get thrown around as to why the cap was expected to grow considerably haven't even happened yet.

Seattle expansion
New us tv deal

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Ok, to answer the 3rd bolded, just look at the first bolded.

And why the hell did you post all that in poem form?
I think Cici is better than 4 of our
Defenceman.
I don't think that's stupid if that's what you meant.
And.
The Poem thing is a pure accident.
Not on social media anywhere.
Except here.
Not proficient in proper form to say what I wanna say.
So I just type and I believe I usually get my point across.
Just not aesthetically pleasing.
My bad.
I could try harder.

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Engvall/Johnsson are both solid NHLers. Engvall has been awesome for us, especially on the PK. Johnsson has been exactly what we expected, he's just been hurt all year. Kapanen has been amazing. Never quits, he's been hitting/fighting, providing secondary scoring, excellent PKer.

Ceci you like ? He's been awful, if there's anyone that's an AHLer here, it's him.
Yeah.
We disagree.
No prob.
Engvall is one of those guys.
Isolate on him when he's on the ice.
Lots of fly bys/zero physical contact for a big strong guy.
Kap?
I have LOVED his game since Clifford is on his line.
Frustrating.
He's that good but doesn't show it nearly often enough.
Johnsson?
Likeable.
Lots of try.
Easy to take off the puck and his feet.
Quite simply too small.
Thanks for reading and I respect your opinion.

Reactions: AvroArrow

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
We couldn’t let ceci walk, he would’ve went to arb
Kap is a guy that you keep (sure he’s had some troubles but he’s showing to be comfortable controlling our third line now)
Johnsson is a good player, his year was disappointing (close to his normal production but not quite there), but that’s mostly due to his injury trouble.
Barrie was the next best option after Kadri nulled the Calgary trade.
Kerfoot is a good 3C bad 2LW, I’m ok if he stays or goes.
I’m not gonna say your stupid but all that extra bologna you wrote at the bottom makes you think you might be a bit reactionary when it comes to how you form your opinions. Also if you want your voice to be heard maybe there should be something in between a 3rd line player and a minor leaguer. IDK like a 4the line or 13th forward or something.
I actually agree with everything you said as far as the last part of my post.
I'm pretty much a black and white kinda guy.
Little nuance wouldn't hurt.
Thanks for reading and thank you for the advice.
Legit.

Reactions: filthyMitz

Cynical

Aug 23, 2014
19th in the league in points AND missed 12 games due to injury
PK...PP...instantly props up his centre.

In NO way is he overpaid. Check back in a few years.

Yet, he had looked invisible. His points total really don't show how passive he has been this season.

Reactions: MJK

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
88M would be huge for us.
it would be for sure, but doesn't solve all the problems

they still exist and some money will still have to be cleared in order to operate comfortably, they do lose that 10m LTIR cushion which helped immeasurably in day to day operations, not to mention I think they're going to have to change the complexion of the team to become more competitive

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
We are getting more cap next year? Well of course we have to go out and spend it on the most expensive thing available. It's the Maple Leaf way.

Reactions: Habz4Evr

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
We are getting more cap next year? Well of course we have to go out and spend it on the most expensive thing available. It's the Maple Leaf way.
Yup, better off to spend it on middle-pairing d-men like the Gardiner's of the world.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Yup, better off to spend it on middle-pairing d-men like the Gardiner's of the world.

Maybe the GM could use the extra money to find some of these market inefficiencies he is supposedly good at. Like find a couple of $6M value players for $4M each, instead of trying to always have to find $2M value players for $1M.

But no, lets throw another $1oM at the big name 30 year old UFA, because history tells us that always works so well.

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
I think Cici is better than 4 of our
Defenceman.
I don't think that's stupid if that's what you meant.
And.
The Poem thing is a pure accident.
Not on social media anywhere.
Except here.
Not proficient in proper form to say what I wanna say.
So I just type and I believe I usually get my point across.
Just not aesthetically pleasing.
My bad.
I could try harder.

I don’t know why.
But I kind of like it.
Shine on. You crazy diamond, you.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sometimes in business you can do all the right things and make all the right decisions, but not have the results you expected. Nothing is guaranteed.

All you can do is make good decisions as often as possible and the results will come. Sometimes it just takes time. Something apparently no one here is willing to accept.

Or you get fired...

JFJ made rational management decisions too. He traded a goalie prospect for a 26 year old former Calder winning goalie. Reasonable gamble on paper, disastrous results.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Matthews will look for top dollar, just like he did in this last negotiation. There's no evidence to suggest he would give a hometown discount. Especially in this next case where he'll be a UFA.

And the cap will continue to rise through the time Matthews next contract negotiation. US TV rights will likely boost the cap substantially.
Do you have personal information about Matthews that the rest of us don't know about? Because, we have no clue what happened behind closed doors and we don't know what the other offers Dubas gave to Matthews. 5 years is a long time, its literally half a decade, things can change, this team can change and yes, a person can change. We simply do not know if he will or wont take a discount, it depends on how well this team is 5 years from now, and seeing as you ignored my point, the captaincy can absolutely change negotiations .

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Do you have personal information about Matthews that the rest of us don't know about? Because, we have no clue what happened behind closed doors and we don't know what the other offers Dubas gave to Matthews. 5 years is a long time, its literally half a decade, things can change, this team can change and yes, a person can change. We simply do not know if he will or wont take a discount, it depends on how well this team is 5 years from now, and seeing as you ignored my point, the captaincy can absolutely change negotiations .

You think players will leave millions of dollars on the table for a C on their jersey?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
JFJ made rational management decisions too.
Hahaha, what?? No, he did not.
He traded a goalie prospect for a 26 year old former Calder winning goalie.
He traded an amazing goalie prospect for a calder winner, who was showing a ton of red flags of it being a fluke in a small sample size, and who was coming off a horrible season, all because they weren't patient enough.

Last edited:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
There will be a major overhaul to better use our cap dollars. This season proved that 40 million to 4 players as forwards just doesn't work.

My guess is Marner is dealt for a stud dman that is signed long term for around 6 million a season. Along with this dman we will get another winger with size, speed and youth to replace him on wing.

Other players like Kerfoot, Johnsson and Dermott will also be dealt in separate deals to build and fill voids on bottom 6 of forward lines and another dman.

I believe its in the Leafs best interest to that the cap goes up as much as possible. Build around the following: Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Kapanen, Engvall, Mickheyev, Reilly, Muzzin, Sandin, Holl, Andersen and Campbell. Everyone else is fair game.

Bring back players like Spezza and Clifford for 4th line.

This means 4 new forwards and 2 new dmen.

But build and get it right this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad