Salary Cap: Projected 84-88.2 Million Next Year

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
I;m going to ramble. For defense, implementing a good structure and system are more important than acquiring a good shot suppresing RHD. This is the defense that pittsburgh rolled in 2016-17 playoffs:

Dumoulin = Muzzin, Schultz = Rielly, Ian Cole, Hainsey = Holl, Maata, Trevor Daley = Liljegren. Ruhwedel = ??? No idea

I am using the "=" for comparison purposes only. No comparisons for cole or maata, but I would take dermott or sandin over maata.

I did not include letang because he missed the playoffs. Of the above, only dumoulin is the most impressive. You could argue that we have better d, but the penguins won 2 cups quickly because their D did not spend much time in their own zone. We have more mobile D and scoring depth is close to the penguins. What we don't have is the discipline and commitment to a system. In the offseason, I would not be surprised if the one or both assistant coaches get fired.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
That is assuming Matthews will ask for max dollars and looking at where his development is going, it may be worth it. Ultimately, we don't know where the cap will be in 5 years time, we don't know what Auston will ask for in 5 years time, nor do we know if he gets promised the captaincy for the following year when Tavares' contract expires, which in my opinion is what will happen. I'd imagine that would play a big factor in his contract negotiations .

Matthews will look for top dollar, just like he did in this last negotiation. There's no evidence to suggest he would give a hometown discount. Especially in this next case where he'll be a UFA.

And the cap will continue to rise through the time Matthews next contract negotiation. US TV rights will likely boost the cap substantially.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
We don't have to have Peterangelo . All we need is a competent top 3 to help Reilly and Muzzin because we have Sandin , Holl and Dermott. We should be able to get that at about 6 to $6.5M as Ufa.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Hahahahahaha
That's like saying a company that loses stock value because of bad RESULTS share price should stay the same. Cause on paper the salesmen tried. Nonsense.
No, it’s like saying there are peaks and valleys in business, and just because you have a bad year or few months doesn’t mean underlying statistics don’t represent a bigger picture. But at the same time, you don’t understand that. So....

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Hoping for 86 million cap. This would allow us to retain players like Clifford, Spezza and Micheyev on the current roster. Trade Dermott along with a forward (Kerfoot and/or Johnsson) for a defensive piece like Dumba or Larsson. Sign another RHD either Tanev, Demelo, Vatanen. Sign Craig Smith as you 3rd line C. Add a winger for size and grit in FA (Derek Grant).

Reilly-Dumba
Muzzin-Tanev
Sandin-Lilly/Holl

Hyman-Matthews-Marner
Micheyev-Tavares-Nylander
Grant-Smith-Kapanen
Clifford-Spezza-Engvall

Reactions: Madap

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Matthews will look for top dollar, just like he did in this last negotiation. There's no evidence to suggest he would give a hometown discount. Especially in this next case where he'll be a UFA.

And the cap will continue to rise through the time Matthews next contract negotiation. US TV rights will likely boost the cap substantially.

It's OK to pay the best players in the league lots of money.

The issue is when they don't perform up to that standard.

Injuries aside, I see no reason to believe AM34 won't hold up to his end of the contract.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Hahahahahaha
That's like saying a company that loses stock value because of bad RESULTS share price should stay the same. Cause on paper the salesmen tried. Nonsense.

Sometimes in business you can do all the right things and make all the right decisions, but not have the results you expected. Nothing is guaranteed.

All you can do is make good decisions as often as possible and the results will come. Sometimes it just takes time. Something apparently no one here is willing to accept.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
it's more like saying the company stock was artificially depressed due to a factor beyond their control, and realizing that the stock is a good buy while the price is low because that factor is extremely likely to normalize...

anyway, it's fine if you have your opinions and don't want to change them with new information, I just don't know why you'd want to feel negatively about your team when you don't have to
I have changed them with no info ffs. Do you Willy homers all have reading comprehension problems? He's been good this year. I can't say it any other way. You guys are the ones that can't admit he bailed on his team and was utter garbage last year for some reason.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I'm showing you that you're too daft to comprehend you are the irrational one :)
I said Willy has been good this year. You can't even admit he bailed on his team. Which happened.
I'm simply defending why Willy has some work to do to win me over. It's ok you're fine with what he did. But that doesn't mean it didn't happen :)
So everyone else is daft, but you’re the enlightened one LOL. Alrighty. Anywho, As much as I enjoy talking to someone who may or may not be playing with a half a deck, I’m out

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
So he has to answer to you, but you won’t answer him, seems not biased at all
So don't answer a question I asked....respond with another question....then get mad i didn't answer the dodge? Hahahahaha. You guys are really bad debaters.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Sometimes in business you can do all the right things and make all the right decisions, but not have the results you expected. Nothing is guaranteed.

All you can do is make good decisions as often as possible and the results will come. Sometimes it just takes time. Something apparently no one here is willing to accept.
Don't disagree with that at all. But a stockholder can't say no my stock is worth this much if it's not is all I'm saying

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I'm showing you that you're too daft to comprehend you are the irrational one :)
I said Willy has been good this year. You can't even admit he bailed on his team. Which happened.
I'm simply defending why Willy has some work to do to win me over. It's ok you're fine with what he did. But that doesn't mean it didn't happen :)

You said he's been good, then had a real funny quip about scoring twice on Bernier while on IV and that he's too soft to succeed in the playoffs.

Wasn't long ago that he "didn't go to the dirty areas", only to lead the league in net front goals. Will be interesting to see if these new black and white declarations can last a little longer than 12 months.

Reactions: The90

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
You said he's been good, then had a real funny quip about scoring twice on Bernier while on IV and that he's too soft to succeed in the playoffs.

Wasn't long ago that he "didn't go to the dirty areas", only to lead the league in net front goals. Will be interesting to see if these new black and white declarations can last a little longer than 12 months.
Yeah. I think he feeds on weak competition. But he's done a better job with that the last 20 or so as well. He has a big playoffs I' on board. Does he have to do a bit more to sell me? Yes. His actions have reactions.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I have changed them with no info ffs. Do you Willy homers all have reading comprehension problems? He's been good this year. I can't say it any other way. You guys are the ones that can't admit he bailed on his team and was utter garbage last year for some reason.
I'm not a Nylander homer or particularly huge fan of him as a personality, and I don't like that he held out. You're just wrong about how he played last season - every player in the history of the game that's played a significant number of games, let's say 200, bands into a shooting percentage range of like 8% out of a possible 100%. If someone could just will themselves to the results, why would any of them shoot less than 100% and why has no one ever achieved 1/5th of that over the course of a career? Luck is a huge factor in small samples, and is very predictable over a large sample.

I'll give you an example of why you shouldn't trust your feelings when they disagree with the evidence:
056d523c99c71a72a26f5b6cb07b6d49.jpg

I'm sure you won't argue with a thermometer, but I'm also sure you get the picture posted above if you live east of the rockies. You, and I, and everyone other human that's ever existed, perceive the same things differently based on the filter we see them through - preconceived biases, basis' for comparison, etc. We all got a bad taste in our mouths from the hold out, then he was genuinely very bad for a little while when he was back, then he made up for that to have an aggregately good but unlucky season that netted poor box scores and we went looking to assign the blame for that to him because he wasn't a fan favourite anymore.

Reactions: The90

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Don't disagree with that at all. But a stockholder can't say no my stock is worth this much if it's not is all I'm saying

True. But stockholders (most) are in it for the long haul and understand that sometimes, good initiatives take time to show value.

I'm confident that Wily and his contract both have lots of value. And I think in time, there will only be more proof to this end.

But, we shall see.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
This thread has dissolved fairly quickly..

@Randy Randerson can you please show nylanders rookie stats comparable to his other years for your above point? I find that interesting, i would have thought this years underlying numbers would have been better than his rookie years.
William Nylander Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

just adjust by the OIsh% in the possession metrics table. A normal top 6 forward will be around 10% (that seems to be rising, which makes sense given the league is trying to adjust the game factors to make scoring easier), so 61 points/6.9% x 10% = 88.4 normalized points

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
IMO take this with a grain of salt

2021 Cup champs opening day lineup

Hyman Matthews Marner
Mikheyev Tavares Nylander
Engvall Thornton Kapanen
Gauthier Spezza Agostino
Robertson

Rielly Pietrangelo
Muzzin Holl
Sandin Liljegren
Rosen Marincin

Andersen
Campbell

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
So handcuff the team for a year or 2 cause maybe. You can't sign contracts like that.

The Leafs are not handcuffed at all, nevermind because of the 800k-1m that Marner got overpaid by. Even if that did "handcuff" us, we could get even more back by moving a Johnsson...

Being handcuffed means you have immovable "bad" contracts that limit your ability to make moves or improve. The Leafs can move anyone on their roster for reasonable value.

Reactions: kb

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
5d188c856ccd7055fd2c2d0f2bc5d88f.png

This is my ideal team for next year.

Johnsson + Bracco for Larrson

Dermott, 2021 1st, SDA for Manson

If the cap doesn't get to 86M then trade Kerfoot for a cheaper 3rd line C

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
It's OK to pay the best players in the league lots of money.

The issue is when they don't perform up to that standard.

Injuries aside, I see no reason to believe AM34 won't hold up to his end of the contract.

He didn't earn to be paid as a top five player in the league based on performance. On top of that he got a five year deal vs others who agreed to 8 year deals. He'll be making more than McDavid and producing far less. Not good cap management.

I agree it's better to overpay him than a 4th liner, but it's still a bad deal.

Reactions: MJK

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad